MP3 400 LT 2009

Hooked
@andrenl avatar
MP3 400 LT 2009
UTC quote
Zero Bikes
Hello MV,

Me too.
I have been riding this DS 11.4 for a weekend here in Luxemburg.
Superrrr, nice APP for iPhone on it to check and change the setup as well.

Acceleration super, noise less than my MP400, but different.
One problem. Pedestrians go on sound, cars, busses, motors.
Here at almost every traffic light I had to use the BEEEEPBEEEP to inform I was there whyle the people continue walking at red sign.

Coasts depends on battery pack and power you like.
Go for the big one.

Here it Coasts over 14.000 euros.
Thats too much for me. You can buy a super machine for that money as well.

Safe rides, André
@moto3 avatar
UTC

Hooked
mp3 400

Hooked
@moto3 avatar
mp3 400
UTC quote
Electric Bikes Give Me Sticker Shock
Poor return on investment and LI batteries start to loose capacity after a few years. New LI battery packs will cost you $$$. And the fact is that, just like my mother in law, "They aint got no soul".
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Re: Electric Bikes Give Me Sticker Shock
MOTO3 wrote:
Poor return on investment and LI batteries start to loose capacity after a few years. New LI battery packs will cost you $$$. And the fact is that, just like my mother in law, "They aint got no soul".
The price of not buying gas will offset the price of a new battery a lot.
And depending on where you live you can find a lot of free charging spots for something like this.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
It's not 'zero emissions' either. Zero at the point of use, but not at the point of generation. 45% of CA's in-state power generation is natural gas, and combined with a ~33% efficiency in transmission, it's probably no better emissions-wise in CA than a petrol engined bike. The situation would be even worse in the UK. However, it's a step in the right direction, and these experiments have to be made to help us conserve resources in the future. If used in Norway, say, it'd be a different picture of course.

I do like the full torque available from a standstill though.
@qualt avatar
UTC

2016 Piaggio BV 350

@qualt avatar
2016 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
They are not there yet.
They keep improving electric vehicles, and I think that is great, but until they improve the range and re-charge time, as far as I'm concerned they are still only good for short commutes............. Now having said that, up until I sold both my small scooter and my motorcycle and then got the MP3 500 to take their place, it easily could have replaced the scooter. Since the scooter was only used for short around town commutes, an electric scooter would have been fine. Therefore I don't see an electric vehicle in my near future; maybe someday, but not yet. But I'm sure they will keep getting better and I must admit it is a good looking bike.
@glow_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400-THMP3R

Hooked
@glow_guy avatar
MP3 400-THMP3R
UTC quote
The Zeros are nice. I test rode the DS and it is kinda scary how quick it takes off the line.

At the university I am at, I am the president of an Electric Vehicle team. We built an electric motorcycle from a Kawasaki 250 frame to race in the MotoGP eRoadRacing series at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It hit 160+mph on the dyno. At that speed we were pulling over 650 amps through our battery packs that we built.
There were 4 Zeros and 4 Brammos at the race. We would have beaten the Zeros which were 70-80% stock bikes, but the Brammos were in a different league as far as speed etc. Our rider ended up crashing the bike during the practice rounds and we were not able to rebuild the battery pack in order to compete. We are currently rebuilding and changing things to race this spring.

I have seen a Zero that was driven across country, from Florida to California and back. He had heavily modified it with fairings and mounted like 6 chargers on board. He could recharge in about an hour, but couldn't leave the bike alone charging at those rates. I'll find my pics and post those.

There were some interesting modifications done on the race Zeros. The head of Electrical Engineering for Zero was one of the racers that I met there. Mostly things to increase air flow to the motor and batter packs.

jimc, I've got to say, that argument is a little disingenuous. If you are going to include power generation and transmission in to the emissions of the electric bike, you have to include petrol drilling, refining, and transportation emissions in to the petrol bike. The electric bike is going to come out ahead.

Batteries are expensive, trust me I know. I spent nearly $5000 on batteries for my team this past year. That was for our motorcycle and a go-kart that we also raced in an intercollegiate competition. But batteries are improving all over the place, just think back to that cell phone you had 10 years ago and compare its run time to the run time of a current smart phone with much more increased capabilities. Even things like the growing popularity of e-cigarettes are driving further battery development and driving down prices.
For our bike (keeping in mind that we were building a competitive race bike, not a long term commuter) we initially wanted to use A123 prismatic cells that were built for the Fisker Karma, but we had troubles with our Chinese supplier and had to switch (after months of waiting and race day approaching) to some Lithium Polymer batteries used often in RC airplanes and cars. We built our battery pack out of 360 of them. Nerd emoticon

Anyway, if your interested here is a video about our team. It does include some footage from the race day. Special bonus, my MP3 makes a few cameo background appearances. I'm the one driving the electric truck.
⚠️ Last edited by Glow Guy on UTC; edited 1 time
@glow_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400-THMP3R

Hooked
@glow_guy avatar
MP3 400-THMP3R
UTC quote
Some pics of modified Zeros and a race Brammo.
Long distance Zero
Long distance Zero
Up close. The seat looked like it would be horribly uncomfortable and those are chargers on the top and sides.
Up close. The seat looked like it would be horribly uncomfortable and those are chargers on the top and sides.
Back of the Zero.
Back of the Zero.
Modified racing Zero. Notice the air filter on the side, it goes to a fan that blows air over the motor to aid cooling.
Modified racing Zero. Notice the air filter on the side, it goes to a fan that blows air over the motor to aid cooling.
The Zeros had no chance to keep up with this beast.
The Zeros had no chance to keep up with this beast.
@glow_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400-THMP3R

Hooked
@glow_guy avatar
MP3 400-THMP3R
UTC quote
I forgot to mention. The very unique thing of watching electric bikes tear around a track coming through the s curves in front of you and all you hear is the plastic on asphalt sound of their knees scraping the ground. The racing is so quiet that the announcer has to do a lot more talking to fill the air. Electric racing still has to figure out some things in order to make it a more captivating sport.

Also, AndreNL, mentioned the beeping at traffic lights. This is also a big problem at race tracks when moving from the paddocks to the track with lots of people milling around and not aware that the electric bike is sneaking up behind them.
@maynard_schweigert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@maynard_schweigert avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Go one step further and settle on 1-gram of thorium for your cycle.
http://mashable.com/2013/11/07/thorium-power-everything/
http://www.laserpowersystems.com
@glow_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400-THMP3R

Hooked
@glow_guy avatar
MP3 400-THMP3R
UTC quote
Interesting concept there Maynard but I'm not sure I like using a radioactive energy source for an on-demand application. The essentials of what they seem to be proposing is a futuristic steam car, where thorium and lasers produce steam to run a turbine. The thing is nothing about that is related to conventional technologies, so it would all have to be engineered from the ground up, which means probably decades before coming to the market.

Now an alternative approach that I have considered is to utilize a radioisotope thermoelectric generator in conjunction with a conventional electric vehicle. RTGs have been used for decades for things like isolated communication stations, lighthouses, and spacecraft (particularly those going to the outer planets where less solar energy is available). They take the heat generated from radioactive decay and convert it to electricity. In the case of an electric car, this would constantly charge the batteries, which would then be used to deliver power to the motor as needed. You would have an electric vehicle that never needs to be plugged in.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0201s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0095s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]