@glow_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400-THMP3R

Hooked
@glow_guy avatar
MP3 400-THMP3R
UTC quote
I couldn't find any definitive information on this, so thought I would ask the experts before changing out my spark plug. I got two plugs from scooterwest, both NGK, one CR8EKB with twin electrodes and one CR8EIB-10 iridium.
My question is do I need to measure the gap on these or just pick one and put it in? Also, suggestions on which one to try first.
Yesterday I did a belt change and finally made the switch to Dr. Pulley sliders.
Thanks
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
This is from the manual (below), speaking to copper plugs. I don't recall anything specific given for gap for the iridium plugs... but that was what I installed. Been long enough I don't recall how I set it or if it even needed it.

Characteristic
Spark plug
CHAMPION RG 6 YC
Alternative spark plug
NGK CR7EKB
Electric characteristic
Electrode gap
0.7 รท 0.8 mm

. . . .
OP
@glow_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400-THMP3R

Hooked
@glow_guy avatar
MP3 400-THMP3R
UTC quote
Thanks B24. I saw that in the manual, and did some searching on here and came across a post about not gapping iridium because it can snap off. I guess I'm just being paranoid, and finding an excuse not to work on the scoot while it is damp and cold outside.
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
Glow Guy wrote:
Thanks B24. I saw that in the manual, and did some searching on here and came across a post about not gapping iridium because it can snap off.
My NGK Iridium plugs came with the correct gap but if you do need to adjust it only apply force to the outer electrode. The inner one may be delicate and you should not lever against it or force a tight feeler gauge.

Regards Roadster
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
Sent a PM with a cut from the NGK catalog, may be of help. Probably just unclear enough to let you continue to delay and not have to work in the wet weather...

. . . .
OP
@glow_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400-THMP3R

Hooked
@glow_guy avatar
MP3 400-THMP3R
UTC quote
Thanks. Not wet today, just cold. I decided to just throw it in there and assume that it was pregapped correctly. What's the worst that could happen, plus I had a backup.

Scooter seems to be running fine.

Not so sure about my torque wrench though. I thought I would be safe and use the torque wrench to get the specified torque, 12-14 Nm, or ~ 9-10 ft-lbs. My torque wrench is one of the click type, and it just didn't seem to be clicking and I thought it seemed like I was putting a lot of force on it. I stopped before I broke something. Any thoughts on how to make sure my tw is calibrated or functioning correctly?
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250

Hooked
MP3 250
UTC quote
You can gap Iridium plugs and here is how you do it
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxzMjAwMGRvY3N8Z3g6NGUxY2FlNmNkNTQwMjc1OQ
Just don't put "ANY"sideways pressure on the center electrode, and use a round wire feeler gauge.

ROD
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
rrounds wrote:
You can gap Iridium plugs and here is how you do it
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxzMjAwMGRvY3N8Z3g6NGUxY2FlNmNkNTQwMjc1OQ
Just don't put "ANY"sideways pressure on the center electrode, and use a round wire feeler gauge.

ROD
That's a welcome addition to my maintenance library - thumb's up. Thanks for posting that!

. . . .
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Re: Spark plug gap
Glow Guy wrote:
I couldn't find any definitive information on this, so thought I would ask the experts before changing out my spark plug. I got two plugs from scooterwest, both NGK, one CR8EKB with twin electrodes and one CR8EIB-10 iridium.
My question is do I need to measure the gap on these or just pick one and put it in? Also, suggestions on which one to try first.
Yesterday I did a belt change and finally made the switch to Dr. Pulley sliders.
Thanks
I use the NGK CR8EIB-10
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
Re: Spark plug gap
Glow Guy wrote:
Thanks
I can speak to the CR8EKB...
Using them on different Scooters, and you just put them in, nothing to Gap.
Best place to purchase them is on Amazon.com, best price I have found.
They are my favorite, they really work well.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Plug should be gaped correctly out of the box. Good to check, but no adjustment should be needed.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0133s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0030s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]