OP
@dejvborg avatar
UTC

LX 150 Touring (2013)

@dejvborg avatar
LX 150 Touring (2013)
UTC quote
Hi everyone

My Vespa 150 LX Touring is relatively new, 5 months old and around 2k KM on the clock. There is a strange sound, i think coming from the engine, when riding at a constant speed / revvs and not excellerating a whizzling / cricketing sound can be heard. When you accelerate and change revvs this sound is gone and when you settle in a constant speed, comes again.

Anyone had similar experience? Other than this sound ( which is bugging me) its a fantastic scoot!

Thanks everyone!
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Aloha and welcome to the forum from Hawaii. Does the noise come from the rear of the scooter? Whizzing might be the rollers and the crickets might be the swingarm. Only 2k on the bike so the rollers shouldn't be making the sound unless something came loose in there. Is it still under warranty? '07 LX'S (some of them and color specific) had a swingarmm problem. Sounds like chirping. Mine didn't. Hope this helps a little. Good luck
OP
@dejvborg avatar
UTC

LX 150 Touring (2013)

@dejvborg avatar
LX 150 Touring (2013)
UTC quote
Hi Judy

Thanks for your reply much appreciated.

Yeah its kinda coming from the 'engine' area you know. Its the 2013 engine model (3 Valve) and still under warranty of course. But I was told it might be a 'normal sound' for the new engine models.

Thanks again!
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Hard to tell if i can't hear it. I know what roller noise is,unfortunately.The rollers could been displaced during shipping. If the dealers prep them well they catch those things. I have a carb one so i couldn't tell you about the break in noise on yours. Mine didn't have any tho. Will you take it back in soon for anything? If so have them check it and take it in if the noises get worse. Always better to be safe than sorry IMHO. Good luck
@ks7877 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@ks7877 avatar
UTC quote
The only cricketing sound I know of that's considered normal is from the brakes.
Wisdom from MV's FAQ wiki
Quote:
FAQ: Why do my front brakes make a whirring / cricket sound?
All modern Vespas make that noise when the brakes are applied, whether you can hear it or not. The sound is produced by air trapped in the holes in the disc when the brake calipers squeeze the disc. It's perfectly normal.

And yes, the rear disc brake (if so equipped) makes that sound as well, you just can't hear it as well. For that matter, any vehicle with drilled (aka vented) disc brakes will make the very same noise when braking.
I had an LX150 for a while and loved it. Hope you enjoy yours, too.
OP
@dejvborg avatar
UTC

LX 150 Touring (2013)

@dejvborg avatar
LX 150 Touring (2013)
UTC quote
Thank you for your replies, much appreciated!

I've seen that post and that's my hunch too, but I could'nt tell about the other sound since I am not conversant with the engine parts and the sort.

Once again, thank you!
@giramassi avatar
UTC

Hooked
1969 90SS & Sprint 150 3v i.e.

Hooked
@giramassi avatar
UTC quote
I wouldn't worry about it, my S150ie makes the same noise and just put it down to bearings are still a bit tight as like you I have low Kms (4k).
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I would have them check it out when you go in for a service. If the sound is coming from the rear it might not be the brakes. The swing arm noise was a documented problem on some of the '06- '07 models but i haven't seen the problems on any other ones. Good luck.
@giramassi avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@giramassi avatar
UTC quote
The noise comes from the transmission area but gets less when it warms up, well thats what happens in my case.

Also the idle pulley sounds loud until it warms up. Mine is not a 3v like the OP but sounds similar to the OP description.
UTC

Vespa ls

Vespa ls
UTC quote
I know some of my fellow riders has the same noise. But they said its pretty normal, but if you want to be sure better have the dealer check it for you jus to be safe.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I lied up above it could be brakes(duh rears) But it's usually front squeaking because of dust. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If it gets worse or if the bike doesn't run right take it in sooner.i would have them look at the rollers tho. Had some whizzing on mine and they weren't in right or came out of place just a tad. Good luck
OP
@dejvborg avatar
UTC

LX 150 Touring (2013)

@dejvborg avatar
LX 150 Touring (2013)
UTC quote
Thank you everyone for your replies much appreciated.

I will keep an eye open and will see how it goes until my next service at 6k KM. giramassi, I agree its like coming from the transmission area so I guess it can be pretty 'normal'.

Will keep you posted.

Have a nice Xmas.
@giramassi avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@giramassi avatar
UTC quote
Dejvborg wrote:
Thank you everyone for your replies much appreciated.

I will keep an eye open and will see how it goes until my next service at 6k KM. giramassi, I agree its like coming from the transmission area so I guess it can be pretty 'normal'.

Will keep you posted.

Have a nice Xmas.
Merry xmas Dejvborg

You might want to check your belt as it seems here in Australia that they are fitting vespa's with non OEM belts, not sure if the are doing the same over where you live as well. When I did some searches on MV a few threads indicated that a cheaper belt can be the culprit, especially evident in the MP3 threads where the belt was not sitting correctly in the pulley and slipping at idle.

I ordered a Piaggio belt from SIP and it has piaggio written on it where the belt that came with my scooter had really strange writing. Anyway just some food for thought.

I will change my belt and see if the noise is less prominent ad let you know.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0158s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0066s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]