@elyobelyob avatar
UTC

Hooked
BV350

Hooked
@elyobelyob avatar
BV350
UTC quote
Took the scoot out for a 80 miles each way motorway run today. Note to self, check weather in destination as well as start point. Got completely drenched. Serious amounts of water on the way back. Anyway, the point is my scoot starting losing power quite unusually. In fact, quite bloody dangerously.

I'm thinking it was a bad batch of fuel, as when I filled up again later, the symptoms went. I left the bike for a few hours after filling up. My bad batch mpg had dropped from around 60 to less than 50. Top speed wasn't happening, all in all a bad day on the scoot.

So, my question is whether a serious amount of rain could upset the bike? Or is my theory of a bad batch of fuel more likely?

Oh, and my new Akrapovic exhaust. Have been running with no issues on 30miles a day since fitting on Tuesday. Can't imagine that such isolated performance issue was to do with this. But, looking at all possibilities
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
ask
Did it lose power before you fitted the pipe ?

Bill X
@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
Re: Beverly 350 Cough Splutter
elyobelyob wrote:
Took the scoot out for a 80 miles each way motorway run today. Note to self, check weather in destination as well as start point. Got completely drenched. Serious amounts of water on the way back. Anyway, the point is my scoot starting losing power quite unusually. In fact, quite bloody dangerously.

I'm thinking it was a bad batch of fuel, as when I filled up again later, the symptoms went. I left the bike for a few hours after filling up. My bad batch mpg had dropped from around 60 to less than 50. Top speed wasn't happening, all in all a bad day on the scoot.

So, my question is whether a serious amount of rain could upset the bike? Or is my theory of a bad batch of fuel more likely?

Oh, and my new Akrapovic exhaust. Have been running with no issues on 30miles a day since fitting on Tuesday. Can't imagine that such isolated performance issue was to do with this. But, looking at all possibilities
Define "serious amount of rain"... Unless you rode into a flooded section of road that was higher than the footrest area, for instance, I'd say that rain shouldn't be a problem. Think about the height of the airbox intake opening and the spark plug location.

Or maybe your scoot just doesn't like to ride in the rain?

My money's on bad gas.
UTC

Hooked
Beverly 350 Sports Touring

Hooked
UTC quote
Join the club. The thread 'Beverly Engine Woes' covers fellow sufferers. I have experienced engine loss about 4 times in the dry.

There is a good thread for German Beverly owners who have the same problem

http://www.beverlyforum.de/board/thread.php?threadid=766

Google Translator will give you the gist.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Bad fuel is highly unusual - it's often blamed as the cause of intermittent poor running, but I bet there's another reason, especially with the spate of complaints.
@tclhb avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@tclhb avatar
Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
Reading these threads is causing me not to buy right now. I want Piaggio to sort this out. It seems the kill switch is the likely suspect.
OP
@elyobelyob avatar
UTC

Hooked
BV350

Hooked
@elyobelyob avatar
BV350
UTC quote
I think my definition of a serious amount of rain is "pretty close to aqua planing the M25". The issue only kicked in after losing top end, and thinking that it felt sluggish. Chatting to someone tonight, he was saying that water into spark plugs would give that sort of problem. It was a sudden loss of power on acceleration, a bit of a choke. Left me in the fast lane gesturing to my near side vehicle to keep back as moving in, then suddenly getting power back. Riding first thing tomorrow, and it looks wet all day. So, will see if new fuel has solved it. My switches are all covered with muffs, so most likely no ingress of water into the switches.
@dailyrider28465 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-

Molto Verboso
@dailyrider28465 avatar
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
UTC quote
Not that my lack of a problem means that others don't have one, but.. in August I rode my BV 350 on a 1,120 mile round trip, mostly Interstate. At least 3/4 of the time was in very heavy rain. No issues at all. I, too, don't see how rain is the problem.
@torontowest avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super, 76 Sprint Veloce, Ape

Addicted
@torontowest avatar
GTS 300 Super, 76 Sprint Veloce, Ape
UTC quote
Beverly
Could be the ECU/throttle body assenbly
@waterboysh avatar
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV 350

Hooked
@waterboysh avatar
2013 BV 350
UTC quote
My BV 350 is my only vehicle. I've driven mine through the rain a bunch of times, including some very heavy rain and not had any problems whatsoever. I'm really glad too, because I don't know much about engines and would be at the mercy of the dealer here if anything went wrong.
@rkcoker avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV350

Addicted
@rkcoker avatar
Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
Adding 2 ounces of Seafoam to my gas on every other fillup has kept my scooters trouble free of water in the tank.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
rkcoker wrote:
Adding 2 ounces of Seafoam to my gas on every other fillup has kept my scooters trouble free of water in the tank.
Good stuff. Also keeps the injectors clean.
@mish avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio Beverly 350

Enthusiast
@mish avatar
Piaggio Beverly 350
UTC quote
I have also a Akra, no problems with it. Make sure the motor reset is done. Let the motor run about 5 minute stationairy.

The kill switch seems the causer.

Greetings, Mish
@dougl avatar
UTC

El Macho
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300

El Macho
@dougl avatar
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
I had issues with the side stand switch. Make sure it's clean and well lubricated. It's wired in series with the kill switch.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
DougL wrote:
I had issues with the side stand switch. Make sure it's clean and well lubricated. It's wired in series with the kill switch.
Good call (on a switch located IN the easy-to-get-wet zone on the bike)
OP
@elyobelyob avatar
UTC

Hooked
BV350

Hooked
@elyobelyob avatar
BV350
UTC quote
After a three weeks or so since I posted this, I've had no issues.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/elyob/beverly-350-sport-touring

In fact, since that disaster day with *incredibly wet weather*, I have driven through some *pretty wet* weather with no issues. The mpg definitely took a huge tumble on that day (I was motorway riding and did a half a tank each way), however is now doing better than it ever has.

Only thing of note, was the new Akrapovic exhaust 2 tanks before that, and of course the rainageddon. I'd imagine that the exhaust would show issues pretty immediately.

So far though, it hasn't happened again and look forward to another 5500miles happy riding. (Once this wet weather has quit, and I can start testing out my new rear tyre).
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Running nicely
I had the engine mapping upgrade done on mine last week. It is supposed to help with idling. I have experienced engine cut-outs, so I hope this will fix it.

There's a Beverly-meet in Germany at the end of May.

http://www.beverlyforum.com/board/thread.php?threadid=1037&order=postid&desc=ASC&start=60

I'm planning to go, so I need a few months of trouble-free running to give the the confidence to take it down the Autobahn.

Alan
OP
@elyobelyob avatar
UTC

Hooked
BV350

Hooked
@elyobelyob avatar
BV350
UTC quote
Re: Running nicely
caecilius wrote:
I had the engine mapping upgrade done on mine last week. It is supposed to help with idling. I have experienced engine cut-outs, so I hope this will fix it.
Never heard of this .. what is it? Who does it?

I'm sort of wondering where to source rollers and upgraded air filter in the UK and anything else that might be nice, in time for my next service.

Any help appreciated ... I'd like to give it a little boost wherever I can, just because I can (or hope to at least).
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Engine Mapping upgrade
I took it into my dealer after I complained about engine stalls - and presented him with about 20 other cases culled from various forums in case he didn't believe me.

He said my Beverley 350 ST, bought in May last year, could benefit from a new software release from Piaggio that helped in particular with idling. He took the bike in for a couple of hours and did it, no charge. The software also stores details of the last 20 starts, he said, and hoped to find a fault logged for my last problem. But I must have done more than 20 starts as no faults were recorded.

Maybe someone knows how to find out about the upgrade on a Piaggio website and what it does.
@lozza avatar
UTC

Hooked
Triumph tiger 955. Classic vesps

Hooked
@lozza avatar
Triumph tiger 955. Classic vesps
UTC quote
Hiya yes there is a mapping upgrade for the Bev go to a descent piaggio dealer and they,ll sort it for you. As for the akropovic upon fitting it you apparently have to disconnect the battery for ten minutes then reconnect so the bike can relearn its settings for the new pipe.
Hope this helps. Loz.
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
UTC quote
Lozza wrote:
Hiya yes there is a mapping upgrade for the Bev go to a descent piaggio dealer and they,ll sort it for you. As for the akropovic upon fitting it you apparently have to disconnect the battery for ten minutes then reconnect so the bike can relearn its settings for the new pipe.
Hope this helps. Loz.
Interesting - has anyone in the US heard about a mapping update for the BV350??
@futisle avatar
UTC

Hooked
BV350

Hooked
@futisle avatar
BV350
UTC quote
My dealer loaded the new map when he had it in to investigate the cut out irritation. He did not find any sopecific fault that would cause the cutting out but checked over all switches and connections and anything else that might be relevant. Not had an issue with it since, so I am assuming it is a job well done. T

The new engine map appears to have made a difference with a smoother pick-up from idle and less abrupt roll-off. I might be imagining that, of course, or it might be something else he did...
UTC

Hooked
2017 Vespa GTS 300 SS (and a buncha dumb shifty bikes)

Hooked
2017 Vespa GTS 300 SS (and a buncha dumb shifty bikes)
UTC quote
i ran an akra muffler on my bv350 for 2200 miles with no issues (before i sold it). no remap needed.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0162s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0101s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]