UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200L

Addicted
@blackrod avatar
2005 GT200L
UTC quote
Hi Gang

So, since buying a used 2005 Vespa GT200, there has been a little bit of a saga with mechanical and dealer issues since the end of October.

On 11/2, first thing I noticed is that the fuel gauge was faulty and there was an electrical unit that needed to be replaced. This seemed to be common on Vespas and the dealer did a carb clean and put in some slidey pullers to remedy the fuel gauge issue. This work happened on 11/9 and was done free of charge with the 90 day warranty.

Next thing I noticed was a crackling/clicking noise coming from the rear of the bike when decelerating. When I brought it back to the shop on 11/16, the dealer said the muffler was eating away at itself and needed to be replaced.

On 11/23, I brought the bike again back to the dealer as they were able to get a hold of a slightly used GTS250/300 muffler and installed into onto my GT200. It was only the silencer that needed to be replaced and the header was OK. So, there was no issue with using the silencer from a GTS250 on a GT200 because I had the original header from the GT200 in good working order. Again, this was done free of charge under the 90 day warranty.

After installing the silencer, the mechanic still heard the clicking noise and determined a rear bearing was wearing away and needed to be replaced. Being that the dealer did not have the bearings in stock, they had to order from Piaggio. At this point, they still do not have the bearings and there is no ETA on when the bike will be done. Dealer said they have no tracking information from Piaggio and do not know when the bearings will come in. Again, this will be covered under the 90 day warranty.

Lastly, when I went to the shop yesterday, my bike was sitting outside on their lot and was filthy with slush on the leg platform bed and the seat was very dirty. When I originally purchased the bike, I paid $100 to have the bike detailed. When I brought it in to be worked on the bike was very clean as I take good care of it.

Not sure what to do at this point. Looking to fellow MVers on how to handle the situation. Do I tell the dealer that the bike needs to be detailed and cleaned at their expense for leaving it outside in the elements? What should I do about the bearings that they are still waiting to receive from Piaggio?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. The owners and mechanics at the dealer are very nice but they have not been very proactive and forthright in letting me konw the current situation on the bike and that it would take a month or longer to fix. Also, I am very disappointed that they left my bike outside when it has been snowing.

Thanks,
Ross
@brighton_belle avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200

Hooked
@brighton_belle avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Hi Ross
not sure what your issue is re Clicking noise but the dealer is also just having a stab at it,first with the exhaust and now a bearing,he may be right he may not...either way is the scoot ridable,if it was me,I would take the scoot home and let the dealer call you when the part is in and seek a second opinion whilst waiting for the dealer to call you when the part has arrived.I would check with ScooterWest to see if they have the part in stock that your dealer is looking for as a second option.Sometimes you might have to assist your dealer in being proactive, remember this work is being done under warranty so no income for him and no pressure to get it fixed until a part turns up.
Just my thoughts to add to your own and which best sits with you as a way forward....hope it works out for you,cheers Mike
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
I'm always surprised when any dealer doesn't use their circle of product dealers to find a part. I'm fairly certain there is a thread identifying the bearing and it can be found locally. No need to wait for Piaggio. As to the cleaning, remind them of the payment for detailing and remind them of the condition. Also it came back for warranty work in a detailed condition. I would remain civil but be politely insistent.
OP
@blackrod avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200L

Addicted
@blackrod avatar
2005 GT200L
UTC quote
Brighton Belle wrote:
Hi Ross
not sure what your issue is re Clicking noise but the dealer is also just having a stab at it,first with the exhaust and now a bearing,he may be right he may not...either way is the scoot ridable,if it was me,I would take the scoot home and let the dealer call you when the part is in and seek a second opinion whilst waiting for the dealer to call you when the part has arrived.I would check with ScooterWest to see if they have the part in stock that your dealer is looking for as a second option.Sometimes you might have to assist your dealer in being proactive, remember this work is being done under warranty so no income for him and no pressure to get it fixed until a part turns up.
Just my thoughts to add to your own and which best sits with you as a way forward....hope it works out for you,cheers Mike
Hi Mike

The scoot is ridable but they did not want to put it back together as it will take time to take apart when they get the bearings. Is it a reasonable request the scooter be put back together so I can ride for now? I do really want to bring it in to another dealer to be checked over.

Thanks
Ross
@brighton_belle avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200

Hooked
@brighton_belle avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Hi Ross
Oh,Ok it the dealer has the engine stripped back,you know for sure he isn't going to want to put it together until the parts come in...so you will need to make a judgement call on this one,

if you have confidence in them and they can provide their best guess on the how much time its going to take to get the part required and fixed...and you can live with that you might need to make the call and leave it with them....not sure what the weather is like at your location this time of the year and whether you will be missing out on any riding time....on the other hand if you are getting bad weather conditions you may well be off the road anyway.

if your confidence and trust is being shaken maybe you could request that they put your scoot back together..... on the basis that you want to ride your scoot in the meantime given its going to take some time (weeks) before the replacement parts arrives,this will then provide you with options for second opinions.

I'll be chasing down the part thats required from other dealers first just to see if its available locally as a first step,hope you work something out,cheers Mike
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
If their only source of parts is Piaggio USA, then you could be waiting 91 days to get your scooter back. If they did take it apart and found the problem, and pulled the bearing, there are more than likely numbers stamped on the race. Using those numbers, a replacement bearing could be obtained in less than an hour. Piaggio uses standard bearing sizes from outside suppliers, they don't make their own bearings. If you call ANY other Vespa dealer, you are probably going to get either a Chinese bearing at Vespa prices, because they are sourcing so much from China now, or pay about three times what the bearing should cost, because it's in a baby blue box. Have someone in the shop give you the bearing size or part number, and go to vbx.com and buy a replacement. And if you don't want to wait more than an hour for the part, get the size off the bearing and walk into any auto parts store in North America and they can put the number into their computer and get you a replacement, that is more than likely in stock.
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
The one thing I might request is that my warranty be extended by the length of the time my scoot was in their shop, to give time to be sure the problems have been satisfactorily resolved.

That would be a reasonable request, in my book.
OP
@blackrod avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200L

Addicted
@blackrod avatar
2005 GT200L
UTC quote
Hi,

I think the best think to do would be to request that the bike be put back together being that it is ridable. I will state that I will bring my bike back once the bearing parts come in. In the meantime, I will bring my bike in for a second opinion.

What if they say they are going to charge me the labor to put the bearings on when they come in? I just want to be prepared for any retaliation they give back.

Thanks
Ross
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
BUY the damn bearing locally.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
Bearings are common and available from many sources. One is ScooterWest where, if you order it on Monday, it will arrive by Friday. Tom is right as bearings are available locally in most areas.

That being said, take note...

When I was preparing for my Iron Butt ride in June, I had been hearing strange noises on my 2006 GT (with 23,000 miles on it) so I had Boris order bearings. We sat down and had them all replaced within a couple of hours work at the warehouse. Honestly, the bearings all looked and worked well so it was not the problem. I doubt that your bearings are a problem either.

My 2006 GT now has 54,000 miles on the original bearings.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Bearings are common and available from many sources. ... if you order it on Monday, it will arrive by Friday. .
Why would you advise someone to pay about five times more than they have to for an item and then wait a week for it and feel like you are doing them a solid? He can walk into any auto parts store and have it in fifteen minutes.
Here's a picture of a Bearing...
[URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/Moped_Medic/media/6303_zps79432890.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]

This is another bearing, a sealed bearing.

[URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/Moped_Medic/media/6003-2rs_zpsb32437e0.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]

As you can see, there are numbers on both of them. There are numbers on the bearing the OP needs too. He can write those numbers down and walk into any auto parts store and leave with the bearing, more than likely for less than $10,without waiting five days and paying shipping.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
I am not sure why you would edit my post, then miss my point and call me out. Did you miss the "bearings are also available locally" part?

My post was to offer options to someone waiting for three months for parts readily available. Then to point out that the dealer may have misdiagnosed the problem anyway.
@brighton_belle avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200

Hooked
@brighton_belle avatar
GT200
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
I am not sure why you would edit my post, then miss my point and call me out. Did you miss the "bearings are also available locally" part?

My post was to offer options to someone waiting for three months for parts readily available. Then to point out that the dealer may have misdiagnosed the problem anyway.
I read your post in the same way as you have explained it and I believe Ross did extend a request for thoughts to be offered in regard to where he is at in seeking a way forward...so I believe you were quite legitimate in extending your thoughts accordingly.

In the end Ross will do what he thinks is best based on all thoughts extended to him in trying to offer some help.Keep your hand of help out there.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
If their only source of parts is Piaggio USA, then you could be waiting 91 days to get your scooter back. If they did take it apart and found the problem, and pulled the bearing, there are more than likely numbers stamped on the race. Using those numbers, a replacement bearing could be obtained in less than an hour. Piaggio uses standard bearing sizes from outside suppliers, they don't make their own bearings. If you call ANY other Vespa dealer, you are probably going to get either a Chinese bearing at Vespa prices, because they are sourcing so much from China now, or pay about three times what the bearing should cost, because it's in a baby blue box. Have someone in the shop give you the bearing size or part number, and go to vbx.com and buy a replacement. And if you don't want to wait more than an hour for the part, get the size off the bearing and walk into any auto parts store in North America and they can put the number into their computer and get you a replacement, that is more than likely in stock.
Yes that bearing is a common piece, any local bearing supply house will have the EXACT equivalent for about 12 bucks.

Heck, Vespa Sherman Oaks has them for less than that....

Your dealer sounds like they are treating your Vespa as if it were a toy, when in reality it just may be real, live transportation. They are of the wrong mindset to be successful long-term if thats the culture there.

That said, THEY should be sourcing that bearing *wherever*, getting you up on two wheels sooner not later, out of their shop and on your way.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Re: GT200 in the Shop Since 11/23/13
blackrod wrote:
On 11/2, first thing I noticed is that the fuel gauge was faulty and there was an electrical unit that needed to be replaced. This seemed to be common on Vespas and the dealer did a carb clean and put in some slidey pullers to remedy the fuel gauge issue. This work happened on 11/9 and was done free of charge with the 90 day warranty.
What are slidey pullers?
I'd check out the warranty conditions and max them out.
A loaner bike maybe?
@yanobobano avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie, GT 200 (cannonball scoot)

Molto Verboso
@yanobobano avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
What are slidey pullers?
He probably meant Dr. Pulley Sliders.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
yanobobano wrote:
znomit wrote:
What are slidey pullers?
blackrod wrote:
the dealer did a carb clean and put in some slidey pullers to remedy the fuel gauge issue.
@richardsan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
looking again

Ossessionato
@richardsan avatar
looking again
UTC quote
i wonder if they are chewing up your warranty time with this
"waiting on the parts"
tactic. i'd look for another mechanic.
sounds like they are chasing the wrong sprite...
@yanobobano avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@yanobobano avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
yanobobano wrote:
znomit wrote:
What are slidey pullers?
blackrod wrote:
the dealer did a carb clean and put in some slidey pullers to remedy the fuel gauge issue.
ha! that's what i get for skimming..... *derp*
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
I am just throwing this out there for food for thought. When your SAS external filter cover gasket packing is pinched or worn out the scooter will get more noisy than usual. Could you expound on the clicking/crackling noise that you are talking about? Does it sound like an old sewing machine that needs oil? Clicking and crackling are two different sounds. Which one do you mean? No sqeaking? I think that a bad bearing would squeak. No?
OP
@blackrod avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200L

Addicted
@blackrod avatar
2005 GT200L
UTC quote
Hi Max

It sounds like a dry, crackling cough when decelerating. That is the best way I can describe it. There is definitely not a squeaking sound.

Mechanic told me the parts are coming in today. I am going to follow up with them this afternoon to make sure the bike will be ready by tomorrow.

Thanks
Ross
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
tomjasz wrote:
BUY the damn bearing locally.
bingo , best advice so far. bearing are cheap might cost MAYBE $10.
OP
@blackrod avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200L

Addicted
@blackrod avatar
2005 GT200L
UTC quote
Finally got my bike back yesterday. The shop did not clean it and make it look the same as the day I brought it in... not impressed.

I got a list of all of the things they did so far under warranty. I am going to go to another shop to have it looked at before my warranty expired the end of January. If anything else needs to be done, I will bring it back to the shop.

Happy Holidays!
Ross
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0181s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0020s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]