@syntagma avatar
UTC

Hooked
150 Super,Fly 150

Hooked
@syntagma avatar
150 Super,Fly 150
UTC quote
I haven't posted this, as I wasn't hurt too bad, but maybe somebody can learn from my mistake.

It happened Thursday with the cold and the fog here in Seattle. I walked out into the street in front of my house and felt the road with my shoes... it felt a bit slick but I convinced myself it was just wet. So I heated up the scoot and took off...

I was only a block away from my house going about 15mph and shifted slightly in my seat and immediately the scoot slid out to my right, and we slid for about 10 feet downhill. Upon closer inspection of the road (as now I had a better view) it was all just black ice.

Scoot seems alright but need to adjust my handlebars and likely get a new brake lever. It really seems this scoot was designed well to take a small spill or I just got lucky. Besides my bike and a bruise on my hip, the only damage was my pride.

If it seems bad out and you're unsure or you're convincing yourself it's ok... find another way.

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics...
Brake lever bent
Brake lever bent
easy enough to swap out
easy enough to swap out
meh .. adds a bit of character
meh .. adds a bit of character
lol the old decal was still under the reflector
lol the old decal was still under the reflector
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S
UTC quote
Sorry to hear about your misfortune with Mother Nature. Glad you were able to walk away with minimal damage to you and your scoot.
OP
@syntagma avatar
UTC

Hooked
150 Super,Fly 150

Hooked
@syntagma avatar
150 Super,Fly 150
UTC quote
Strick wrote:
Sorry to hear about your misfortune with Mother Nature. Glad you were able to walk away with minimal damage to you and your scoot.
Thanks. Yeah not my smartest moment; I'm just glad I wasn't further away from home and going faster prior to finding out.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300ie, BMW C600 Sport

Hooked
UTC quote
Sorry to hear about your fall.

This is why I don't ride here with sustained temps below freezing here in Chicago. The cold doesn't bother me, it is the potential black ice. There always seem to black ice under viaducts and water getting on the street some how causing black ice patches even if it hasn't rained.

There are a few car washes on my route and the run off always causes a few ice patches.

My co-worker went down pretty hard last year while turning on a black ice patch. Fortunately, he wasn't going too fast.
OP
@syntagma avatar
UTC

Hooked
150 Super,Fly 150

Hooked
@syntagma avatar
150 Super,Fly 150
UTC quote
Edumakated wrote:
...This is why I don't ride here with sustained temps below freezing here in Chicago.. ...
Thanks,

My rule of thumb has always been, if it's below 36 I don't ride... I failed to follow my rule and have paid the price.

It's funny... I knew it wasn't good out there but somehow I convinced myself it was fine. I still have no good reason as to why I tried.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Syntagma wrote:
Edumakated wrote:
...This is why I don't ride here with sustained temps below freezing here in Chicago.. ...
Thanks,

My rule of thumb has always been, if it's below 36 I don't ride... I failed to follow my rule and have paid the price.

It's funny... I knew it wasn't good out there but somehow I convinced myself it was fine. I still have no good reason as to why I tried.
It is the desire to ride. Believe me, I haven't rode in almost a month and it is about to drive me crazy. I keep waiting and hoping the weather will clear up a little, but we have snow on the ground now. All I want is a few days with temps in the 40s to melt the snow and a little rain to wash to salt off the streets so I can get a little riding in. Doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon.
@lyndabee avatar
UTC

2009 LX150

@lyndabee avatar
2009 LX150
UTC quote
Gosh, glad you're okay! That's the most important thing.
Sometimes the elements get the best of us, even when we think we've covered all the bases.
And sometimes passion overrules logic.
And sometimes, to paraphrase that song from the Liberty Mutual Insurance commercial that's on TV these days: "We're only human... born to make mistakes..."
Hope your scooter, and your ego, heal quickly! Life's too short
@mreloc avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV 300 i.e.

Hooked
@mreloc avatar
GTV 300 i.e.
UTC quote
Sorry, man. Thanks for sharing the reminder for the benefit of all. I'm glad all is well, overall.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Glad you are okay. As you have clearly proven, ice and two wheeled vehicles do not get along.
OP
@syntagma avatar
UTC

Hooked
150 Super,Fly 150

Hooked
@syntagma avatar
150 Super,Fly 150
UTC quote
LOL yeah I hadn't rode consistently in about a week due to the inclement weather and it looked "good enough" at the time ..

Thanks all! It's all about riding within your comfort level and having the smarts to say "it's not the day for it".
@the_professor avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Vespa GTV 250 - GiGi Classic Royal Enfield 500

Enthusiast
@the_professor avatar
2007 Vespa GTV 250 - GiGi Classic Royal Enfield 500
UTC quote
That is terrifying. Glad to hear you are ok, relatively. Could have been a lot worse. Weather here is so frustrating; goes from teens and ice - obviously no riding, to 60s like today!! Evenings may dip down and mornings may have patches of black ice, especially at intersections. You don't think about that when you are basking in balmy temps after suffering through ice storms!! Made me leave the scoot at home mornings when I knew it would warm up in pm. Reason to come swap out at lunch!!!
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Sorry about the crash, but glad it wasn't worse. Good lesson, learned the hard way. Roads can be treacherous this time of the year. You never know quite what you're getting.
@dailyrider28465 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-

Molto Verboso
@dailyrider28465 avatar
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
UTC quote
Ouch! Happy you weren't hurt and wishing you a thaw!
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Wow am glad you came out mostly unscathed. Did you hurt yourself? I listen to my gut feeling. Finally learned after many years it's cheaper and hurts less if i go with my gut. If i don't, it's costs money and pain. Hang in there and be careful Happy Holidays.
@troutbum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL

Ossessionato
@troutbum avatar
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
UTC quote
The main thing is that you are okay. The scooter can be repaired.

Be well and ride safe.
OP
@syntagma avatar
UTC

Hooked
150 Super,Fly 150

Hooked
@syntagma avatar
150 Super,Fly 150
UTC quote
judy wrote:
Wow am glad you came out mostly unscathed. Did you hurt yourself? I listen to my gut feeling. Finally learned after many years it's cheaper and hurts less if i go with my gut. If i don't, it's costs money and pain. Hang in there and be careful Happy Holidays.
Thank you; I got a decent bruise on my hip, which is going away, but no real damage. That said - I won't be second guessing myself anymore!
OP
@syntagma avatar
UTC

Hooked
150 Super,Fly 150

Hooked
@syntagma avatar
150 Super,Fly 150
UTC quote
I'm honestly shocked at how the Fly was designed...

It seems the grey parts on the front cowl are designed to take scratches and could simply be replaced, the floorboards stick out so that the rest of the scoot didn't hit the ground, and the black "sissy bars" in the back stuck out far enough not to damage the back end. NO part of the white on my scooter was scratched or damaged in any way. Again this could have all been lucky but I'll chalk it up to good design.

Way to go Piaggio!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0156s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0045s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]