@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
So a while back I managed to drill out the lock on my smallie column. That went well. What I didn't do so well was how I handled the lock cover rivet. Scooterhelp and others tell you that you can vise-grip that sucker out. I was skeptical but tried it and of course it bungled the top up so bad that I ended up drilling it out to get it out of the way.

What that's left me with is an oversize odd-shaped hole. I'm sure I can fix up odd shaped but I doubt I'll find a rivet to work by the time it's round again. I could try to tap a thread in there and use a screw. My other idea is to JB Weld up the hole and drill it out to proper size and use a proper rivet, but I'm not sure if it will be too "crumbly" to hold the rivet when you install it.

At this point I know the proper fix is to weld it and drill it but that's really only appropriate if I'm going to paint the bike, which I'm not.

I'm not opposed to unusual solutions that don't involve the lock cover, but I'd like to get either the cover or a washer over the lock tab so the lock doesn't want to fall out if you turn the key, etc.

Ideas?
@xkrebstarx avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1966 Bluebadge, 1974 Super 150

Molto Verboso
@xkrebstarx avatar
1966 Bluebadge, 1974 Super 150
UTC quote
Ouch... Dremel an oversized rivit into the odd shape? Maybe leave it a little too big so that it holds?

Good luck!
@scootermarc69 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@scootermarc69 avatar
UTC quote
I think JB weld will work. Try that first.
OP
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
xkrebstarx wrote:
Ouch... Dremel an oversized rivit into the odd shape? Maybe leave it a little too big so that it holds?

Good luck!
I'd drill the hole round first
OP
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
scootermarc69 wrote:
I think JB weld will work. Try that first.
Yeah it seems low risk and won't make anything worse even if I have to drill it out.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0133s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0059s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]