OP
UTC

Addicted
250 Super

Addicted
250 Super
UTC quote
I've tried searching but haven't really found any information on what kind of lifespan one can expect from case seals either from a miles or time frame of reference. I know that the seal quality is also a factor, so let's assume high quality seals and some ethanol blended fuel. Any thoughts?
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
With today's fuel? I'll assume it is a daily driver with at least 3 miles per day (urban commuter). Probably 3-5 years.
@speed_kills avatar
UTC

Addicted
Mostly Lambrettisti

Addicted
@speed_kills avatar
Mostly Lambrettisti
UTC quote
If it is a Lambretta likely longer as MB makes some trick Viton seals.
OP
UTC

Addicted
250 Super

Addicted
250 Super
UTC quote
It's not a Lambretta, rather a Rally 200. I have over 6K miles on the seals in just under two years. I'm trying to forecast the expected remaining life, keeping the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in mind.
@speed_kills avatar
UTC

Addicted
Mostly Lambrettisti

Addicted
@speed_kills avatar
Mostly Lambrettisti
UTC quote
Please don't take this the wrong way, but do you also worry a bird might poop on your nose as you are walking down the street?
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
swing when ya winnin
dependin on the pounding about 5nims ... the smaller the club the longer they last
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
band aid
ohh sorry maybe i should read the question as well as the title
@trumpyscooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Black 2007 PX200, Dark green 1986 PX225 Pinasco, "1972"(yeah rite) Tangerine px200, several TRIUMPH TIGRESS SCOOTERS

Molto Verboso
@trumpyscooter avatar
Black 2007 PX200, Dark green 1986 PX225 Pinasco, "1972"(yeah rite) Tangerine px200, several TRIUMPH TIGRESS SCOOTERS
UTC quote
Classic rider, Its a fair broad question, that could lead to some interesting discussion. there are so many variables that could be involved. ive heard of some seals sitting in px's that have only lasted 6 weeks, but it may have been how the mechanic installed them as well. Some seals have lasted in a scoot 30 years and still been servicable. one of my scoots has 30 000 k's on it and im not worried about changing them out as yet.
OP
UTC

Addicted
250 Super

Addicted
250 Super
UTC quote
Speed_Kills wrote:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but do you also worry a bird might poop on your nose as you are walking down the street?
Not at all. I usually am wearing a billed cap, so unless the bird was adept at sling bombing my nose would be safe.

I have some extending riding I'm thinking about doing but at the moment am physically unable to do the mechanical work to replace the seals. I'm trying to get a feel for how long seals last since they are not covered in recommended service intervals.
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
T5bitza69 wrote:
dependin on the pounding about 5nims ... the smaller the club the longer they last
Hahaha!
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E
UTC quote
My vespa mechanic always insisted on me putting original brand name seals. The last time that I had my engine rebuilt due to a piston whole and glitter inside the engine I went ahead and changed the seals(my mechanic did).

Long history short, I had a freak accident in which the clutch side main rubber seal actually disintegrated and the metal ring ended up stuck on the whole of my rotary pad, I just can't think of any more bizarre way to have a seal breaking and physically locking/preventing your engine from even cranking it.

With that being said , I believe that it can go /last a few years as long as you routinely start the engine and give the engine regular use so that they don't crack.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0124s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0044s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]