OP
@af1_racing avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@af1_racing avatar
UTC quote
Looks great, we just need the EU flasher relay to complete the project. The EU signals are all LED and draw way less amperage than the USA bulbs.

The USA 946 main wiring harness is quite different from the EU harness so its not exactly plug-n-play. We sacrificed all the stock USA turn signal connectors and made it plug-n-play by soldering the old connectors to the new signals. Looks 100% factory and all heat shrinked. None of the main harness was touched. It could be reversed by buying new USA signals.

Vespa kept the wire colors consistant so its easy to figure out. USA front running lights are just a two wire running light, the EU fronts are now a 3 wire -- turn +, running +, and a common Ground -. LEDs are directional so they must be wired correctly.

Probably wont be an install for the faint of heart. The full floorboard and both rear side panels have to come off. We'll have to make a video. The 946 is even very high quality underneath.

The EU full LED signals werent the cheapest thing, but what part on the 946 is? We have 5 extra sets of signals in stock now, so once we have the EU flasher relay figured out, we'll have a sellable EU conersion kit....depending on the flasher price figure about $350-375 for the full kit.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
Very nice. 8)
@vyatka avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M

Molto Verboso
@vyatka avatar
'61 GS150Cushman '63 GS160, '74 Primavera, '77 Rally 200,'80 P200E '05 PX150,'13 946,'64 Vyatka VP150,'77 Vyatka-Elektron,'07 GTS250, '63Tula200M
UTC quote
Good job!
I am proudly keeping USA blinkers. Clap emoticon In 40 years my bike will be authentic All you italian-wanna-be will look like twins Clown emoticon
@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
vyatka wrote:
Good job!
I am proudly keeping USA blinkers. Clap emoticon In 40 years my bike will be authentic All you italian-wanna-be will look like twins Clown emoticon
A 946 wanting to be a 946? Seems like redundant logic. Anyway, I recently saw a 946 up close and those US blinkers are !@#$%#%$#!% hideous I wanted to throw up. Way to ruin a piece of art. If I owned a 946, I'd be buying this EU conversion kit as soon as it came out.
@allstrangeaway avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)

Hooked
@allstrangeaway avatar
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)
UTC quote
*bouncing up and down with excitement!*
@joe_schmoe avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@joe_schmoe avatar
UTC quote
Wow that looks wwaaayyyy better.

Edit: The reflectors still look awful though.
@allstrangeaway avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)

Hooked
@allstrangeaway avatar
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)
UTC quote
JOE SCHMOE wrote:

Fortunately the reflectors just popped right off of my scoot! Easy-peasy!
@revtotheredline avatar
UTC

Addicted
2013 Honda CBR500RA ABS, 2005 Vespa PX150 w/ GickSpeed 177

Addicted
@revtotheredline avatar
2013 Honda CBR500RA ABS, 2005 Vespa PX150 w/ GickSpeed 177
UTC quote
That looks awesome, makes me not hate the 946. The US DOT blinkers are retarded. Kills the bike entirely as harsh as it may seem.
@gee-bee avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 300

Banned
@gee-bee avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
!!!!!
Perfect Mod...
@joe_schmoe avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@joe_schmoe avatar
UTC quote
allstrangeaway wrote:
JOE SCHMOE wrote:

No holes?
@allstrangeaway avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)

Hooked
@allstrangeaway avatar
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)
UTC quote
JOE SCHMOE wrote:
allstrangeaway wrote:
JOE SCHMOE wrote:

No holes?
There were holes but I've plugged them temporarily with plastic plugs from scooterwest. They will work for now. They are inconspicuous and i have painted them shiny black to match the cowls
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS300ss

Enthusiast
GTS300ss
UTC quote
Yeah looks better without those blinkers, also without the reflectors too.

Paul
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
V you could always put them on and save the pods and put them back on later. Hows the new 946? Taken a ride yet?
@allstrangeaway avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)

Hooked
@allstrangeaway avatar
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)
UTC quote
judy wrote:
V you could always put them on and save the pods and put them back on later. Hows the new 946? Taken a ride yet?
+1
mine will be tucked away for safekeeping and completely forgotten about until needed again
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
UTC quote
Not to be a party-pooper (but he is) - they are still invisible to following motorists. Why weren't they put higher up, closer to a driver's sight line?

At least one 946 has been rear-ended (and totalled).
@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
Raputtak wrote:
Not to be a party-pooper (but he is) - they are still invisible to following motorists. Why weren't they put higher up, closer to a driver's sight line?

Form over function.

The more I look at it, the more I want one. Can't justify it to myself, considering I'm saving to buy a place.

Still, you're right. I don't know where exactly they could have placed these without putting them on rear facing "antennae". Also, they could have easily left these out and it wouldn't have made a difference.
@al_davis avatar
UTC

Banned
Buddy 150

Banned
@al_davis avatar
Buddy 150
UTC quote
Raputtak wrote:

So the conversion kit is dangerous and illegal. I like it.
@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
Al Davis wrote:
Raputtak wrote:

Fixed that for you.
@allstrangeaway avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)

Hooked
@allstrangeaway avatar
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)
UTC quote
Raputtak wrote:

Yes
...though to be fair, and if we are thinking of the same rear-ended 946 that was posted on MV not long ago, that scoot was equipped with the US DOT blinkers and not the Euro lights.
@al_davis avatar
UTC

Banned
Buddy 150

Banned
@al_davis avatar
Buddy 150
UTC quote
DRWeside wrote:
Al Davis wrote:
Raputtak wrote:

Fixed that for you.
Thanks!
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
UTC quote
allstrangeaway wrote:
Raputtak wrote:

Yes
...though to be fair, and if we are thinking of the same rear-ended 946 that was posted on MV not long ago, that scoot was equipped with the US DOT blinkers and not the Euro lights.
Yes, but the so-called Euro lights are still way too low. One needs a top case with the light kit to put the brake and turn lights up where they might possibly be seen by a texting, make-up applying, shaving, cell-phone-using, pizza-eating SUV driver.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
UTC quote
(Tim, don't hold back. Say what you really think).
@allstrangeaway avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)

Hooked
@allstrangeaway avatar
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)
UTC quote
Raputtak wrote:
allstrangeaway wrote:
Raputtak wrote:

Yes
Yes, but the so-called Euro lights are still way too low. One needs a top case with the light kit to put the brake and turn lights up where they might possibly be seen by a texting, make-up applying, shaving, cell-phone-using, pizza-eating SUV driver.
agreed, my thought was just that neither the US or Euro blinkers were any real type of security from an accident. The US blinkers may be a marginal improvement, but I don't really see them preventing any accidents.
I also agree, scooterists are practically invisible to drivers, who are increasingly distracted, so it is really up the the rider to make themselves visible in any way possible. However, my plan for visibility does not include those US blinkers
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Raputtak wrote:

Tend to agree - in the few on road vids of the 946 I've seen, the indicators don't seem very visible for all the design ingenuity that went into the build. This vid isn't great quality but shows what I mean...

@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
After watching that video, is it safe to say that Piaggio only added the rear blinkers to satisfy some transportation safety regulation?

The video was not high quality, but it looked pretty clear that those blinkers are practically useless in daylight.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
The blinkers on the 946 remind me of some of the ones that are on sports bikes. Hard to see in daylight.
@vyatka avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@vyatka avatar
UTC quote
DRWeside wrote:
vyatka wrote:
Good job!
A 946 wanting to be a 946? Seems like redundant logic. Anyway, I recently saw a 946 up close and those US blinkers are !@#$%#%$#!% hideous I wanted to throw up. Way to ruin a piece of art. If I owned a 946, I'd be buying this EU conversion kit as soon as it came out.
I understand your reaction to us specs ( it happened 35-30 years ago too) and your motivation. However there are other things to consider: those US specs make our machine unique- not just because 155cc vs 125cc but also because of blinkers and reflectors. US spec Vespa scooters which were not vandalized by owners in 1970's are rarity and true collectibles , especially in Europe.
Which way an owner prefer, euro look with us engine/"cool look now" or authentic DOT style which definitely interfere with the original italian design/"cool look in 30 years"- his own business. There are many owners in both categories.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
I like this scooter. It's so simplified. Thanks for posting the pictures. Merry Christmas.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
If Euro Spec version had the stalk lights and the US Spec the flush mounts, would Yanks be desirous of the stalk version?
@davelx avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 Piaggio BV-350

Molto Verboso
@davelx avatar
2016 Piaggio BV-350
UTC quote
There's a simple solution to all this. Just move to Europe, buy your 946 here. Job done.

A truly dedicated Vespista would do it...
@dailyrider28465 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-

Molto Verboso
@dailyrider28465 avatar
Mia Dolce II 2017 GTV 300, Ragazzo Vespa 946, Il Pazzo BV 350, & Mia Dolce GTV 250 -sold-
UTC quote
Consistent with the elegant pared-down design, there could be an LED light bar along the trailing edge of the seat. Done correctly it would be high enough for drivers to see, and be noticeable only when lit for braking, turns, or warning flashers. Maybe for a future model? It's too obvious a solution not to be done someday.
More in line with what the designers gave us, DOT flashers and reflectors could have been built into the mirrors in front. At the rear a single structure could have been faired into the cowl or body, being both the turn signal and the reflector. Automobiles have used a wraparound single unit /dual function like this for decades, just to avoid the separate side reflector.
Either of these solutions could have been done to the satisfaction of both EU and US DOT standards. I suspect that, as many have said here before, the tiny US volume means our needs are an afterthought for Piaggio.
@allstrangeaway avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)

Hooked
@allstrangeaway avatar
ET4 ('02), 946 ('13)
UTC quote
It will be interesting to see if the next generation of the 946 alters those rear lights. Think Piaggio is getting much feedback about them outside of the US? I doubt they will alter them just the for the US market.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
From the DOT Standards for motorcycle turn signals:

Front and rear require a 2200 sq mm effective projected luminous lens area, and a 20 degree inboard visibility.

Front:
Quote:
At or near the front, at the same height, symmetrically about the vertical centerline, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between a turn signal lamp and headlamp is 4 inches
Mirror lamps could work for this - if they met the 2200 sq mm lens area and 20 degree inboard visibility requirement. The mirror assembly would have to be rigidly fixed to meet DOT standards, with just the mirror surface being adjustable.

Rear:
Quote:
At or near the rear, at the same height, symmetrically about the vertical centerline, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches
(underline added)

Mirror lamps would not work for this. Is the seat wide enough for a 9 inch separation. Is there room for 2200 sq mm? Would the 20 degree inboard visibility be readily met?

It's a bit more complex that what one thinks at first glance, and is it worth the expense for a relatively small market? I would be appreciative that they didn't use the "stock in trade - one size fits all" stalk lights.
@dailyrider28465 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@dailyrider28465 avatar
UTC quote
Aviator47, thanks for the citations! Mounting on the trailing edge of the seat could be from 9" to 13" apart and up to a couple of inches in height. No problem at all. I think it would be a good worldwide solution to enhance visibility.
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T

Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
UTC quote
That looks so much better. What a looker the 946 is!
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
DailyRider28465 wrote:
Aviator47, thanks for the citations! Mounting on the trailing edge of the seat could be from 9" to 13" apart and up to a couple of inches in height. No problem at all. I think it would be a good worldwide solution to enhance visibility.
And would preclude a rear rack carrying anything, or someone riding pillion wearing a fingertip length coat..
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
946 EU signals
When I first saw the 946 I thought I would buy one as soon as they became available. Then I saw the price. Last fall I went to Italy and saw them on display and had to rethink the high price tag. I picked mine up a month ago. I was shocked to see those awful turn signals. My first question was how can I get rid of those. I'm pleased to see that AF1 is offering an EU signal kit. I will order one tomorrow. I consider this scooter to be mobile art work. The US signals have to go. Now , I can't wait for all this snow to melt.
@jinba_ittai avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@jinba_ittai avatar
UTC quote
Petrolhead Tom wrote:
What a looker the 946 is!
yeah it kind of is, but that chick with the summer dress on page 29 of the catalog?!
@vyatka avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@vyatka avatar
UTC quote
Helmet mounted wireless signals are available. It could be good modification, especially in our case.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
@happystrada avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150 (La bella Argento)

Hooked
@happystrada avatar
Primavera 150 (La bella Argento)
UTC quote
I just bought this kit for my 946, is there a more detailed DIY for this?

Scooter west does a really good job with their kits featuring Robot and I've done the lighting on a few of my Vespas and this looks like it could be simple with good instructions.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0225s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0120s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]