OP
UTC

Enthusiast
cfmoto glory, piaggio fly50,fly150

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Hello,My name is BRYAN and I am new to this forum and to PIAGGIOS but I am a seasoned tech with over 10 yrs of repairing and modding scoots.I recently went to work as a tech at a VESPA dealer and I have a 2013 piaggio typhoon 50 4v that is driving me crazy,this bike has 130 miles on it and bogs badly on acceleration,I have checked fuel supply to carb and been through the carb and found no issue but this bike is running very lean spark plug is very white,I have blocked vacuum line to the carb that come in under bypass valve [ told to do so by piaggio tech line] piaggio wanted me to replace carb I did not think this would help and it did not.I cannot mod carb as this bike is under warranty,but I think a jet change is in order if anyone has seen this problem and has any suggestions any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks BRYAN
@hachi avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 GT 200

Ossessionato
@hachi avatar
2005 GT 200
UTC quote
Welcome to the forum!

Raise the needle(lower the clip)? This is just a guess.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
2013 PIAGGIO TYPHOON 50 4T4V RUNNING PROBLEMS
just spoke with my boss and he wants to call tech line again on monday but I do not think this carb has multiple needle slots
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
If changing the carb didn't fix the problem, and this is an isolated problem in this bike, I would do a spraydown test both at idle and under slight load of the intake and vacuum system. Also, check the routing of all the lines against other Typhoons that don't have the problem. I've seen bikes come in with some of the vacuum lines connected wrong at the factory. I've also seen bikes come in from the place where those are made that had fuel filters that filtered so well nothing, including gasoline, got through them after a couple of weeks. And I've seen bikes come in from the factory with Chinese newspaper stuffed in the intake tract.
It sounds like something might have been connected wrong somewhere along the line and the factory tech line guy assumes everything is connected correctly. Check the flow from the petcock at idle and when you rev the motor up. You could have a faulty petcock, or something in the vapor recovery system not functioning correctly and allowing petcock to open at speed. Check to make sure power is getting to the electric choke on the carb. Run it off a bottle of fresh gas and take it for a ride. Does the problem persist? If it does with two different carbs, preferably with one of them being off the same model that runs well, it might be in the top end or electrical.
⚠️ Last edited by Motovista on UTC; edited 2 times
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Also check the inlet manifold is properly sealed both on the engine and on the carb. Although I stand to be corrected, I think it could possibly be a small leak around there.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Man it is great to see this is a no nonsense forum,that being said I have already run a separate fuel supply to the carb and checked for vacuum leaks and loss of vacuum under acceleration I have pulled the petcock and inspected and I have checked for debris in fuel and air systems.I even ran a clear fuel line and filter to check when bike bogs to check fuel supply.Piaggio will not let me mod carb under warranty very frustrating.There is one thing I did not mention this bike was bought on line from another dealer in another state I feel they knew this bike had a problem as it had 6 miles on it when cust received it.I will talk to tech line on monday and see what they say.thanks for your posts and if anybody can think of anything else please post thanks again BRYAN
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
By the way if anyone knows ware I can get a steering stem for a 2009 cfmoto glory 150 please let me know.Yeh its a Chinese bike but its very modded and very fast 85 mph+ thanks again BRYAN
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Re: 2013 PIAGGIO TYPHOON 50 4T4V RUNNING PROBLEMS
MAXWELL150 wrote:
.There is one thing I did not mention this bike was bought on line from another dealer in another state I feel they knew this bike had a problem as it had 6 miles on it when cust received it.
If they bought it on the internet, the internet should fix it.
It is more than likely a violation of the Piaggio dealer agreement for a dealer to ship bikes to customers. Bring that up with Piaggio and tell them to send out a tech to fix it, because you guys are never going to be reimbursed for the time you put into this, and the customer will blame you nad your store for the problems with the bike, even though you didn't sell or pdi it. Also, you guys might ask to see the PDI form and ask how the customer's signature on it was obtained at the dealership when they took delivery. If Piaggio is letting dealers do this, Piaggio better be willing to clean up the mess.
⚠️ Last edited by Motovista on UTC; edited 1 time
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Re: 2013 PIAGGIO TYPHOON 50 4T4V RUNNING PROBLEMS
MAXWELL150 wrote:
By the way if anyone knows ware I can get a steering stem for a 2009 cfmoto glory 150 please let me know.Yeh its a Chinese bike but its very modded and very fast 85 mph+ thanks again BRYAN
do you have a part number?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Thinks - have you checked the valve clearances? In the past there have been instances where they were off right from the factory. The smaller single-pot engines can be finicky about valve opening and dwell time.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
To paraphrase Paul Harvey, now we know the rest of the story. This is a no win situation for this dealer. When they do warranty work, they don't get a check for their time, they get a credit to their parts account for whatever the manufacturer decides the job takes for a factory trained tech with all the tools at hand to fix AFTER it is diagnosed and everything else is ruled out, and all the plastics are taken off the bike, They could spend four days working on this turd and end up with a half hour credited to their parts account, which they can use to purchase Piaggio parts at Piaggio prices.
If the owner did purchase the bike online, and had it shipped without setting foot in the dealership, it doesn't, according to every dealer agreement I've ever read, have a factory warranty. So this problem needs to be put back where it belongs, on Piaggio and the selling dealer. The best thing to do is to button it up and push it out of the service bay, and roll something in that you will get paid to fix. Based on the circumstances, this is not a warranty issue. The bike could have been messed up in shipment, but no matter why it isn't right, it's someone else's problem.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
However, that doesn't help the poor sod who bought the bike in good faith, or help this dealership gain and maintain a good reputation for being helpful.

Sometimes a lengthy diagnosis can reveal some previously overlooked problem or 'gotcha' which can be very useful in the future, for *all* dealers and mechanics if diseminated properly, like the erstwhile Piaggio tech notes between dealers (though that may have just been a UK thing).

I can think of more than a couple of instances where one of my bikes has been a guinea-pig in just such a scenario, and more than one of those solutions being rolled out as an official remedy.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
This is where I am torn,I feel we as a PIAGGIO dealer should do what we can to make this bike right,so does my boss,It saddens me that a dealer would deliver a brand new bike knowing that it had a problem.I also had my questions about the online purchase of this bike.I have never and would never buy a bike without riding it first.Another thing that I should mention as to the reputability of this dealer when the cust called them about the problems with this bike they told him to wait until the 75 mile break-in period was over and the bike would be fine. 75 MILES what is that,I always suggest at least a 500 mile break-in especially on a 50cc.I will fix this bike and I will post to let you guys know what I find, thanks for all of your help, BRYAN
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
PART# for lower connector plate is 6060-050101 I have been told by CFMOTO that it is out of stock and since they no longer make scooters I may be SOL but if someone knows were a new or even GOOD used one is please let me know thanks again BRYAN
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
O.K. Received carb from piaggio installed and bike would not even start,did not want to mess with it so I went back through original carb opened main jet slightly and opened plug gap from .7mm to .85mm and bike runs great now I weigh 220 pound and bike will pull me up a good incline at a steady 35mph and top out at 46mph on long flat.thank you all for your input on this issue BRYAN
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0158s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0096s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]