OP
UTC

Hooked
2009 250 GTS Super

Hooked
2009 250 GTS Super
UTC quote
I probably rode about 120 miles today and some really out of the ordinary stuff happened.

The first thing is that I was going on the freeway and all of a sudden my top case FLIES OPEN. Thank god I didnt have anything expensive in there, just my windbreaker. I immediately reduce my speed to try to pull over, and of course the one time I have an emergency there are two tailgating cars- one behind me, and one to the right where I'm trying to pull over to. Luckily the person on the right blows by and I was able to pull over and close the top case without incident, no loss of property was incurred. I must have not closed it all the way because that was the first time it has happened.

Then, I was riding home in the GHETTO. I was riding along, and realized I need to turn left, luckily the left turn lane to the left JUST turned green so I slide on in like I've always done a million times without incident.

I had to technically cut this guy off but it has never been a big deal. I imagine the scooter is so small that nobody really cares if theyre cut off (its not like a gigantic SUV cutting you off, am i right?).

All of a sudden the guy FLIPS OUT. They speed by me, while the woman in the passenger seat yells, "YOU FUCKING DOUCHE BAG, FUCK YOU YOU PIECE OF SHIT".

They pull right in front of me, and braked super hard, and swerved around to piss me off I guess. All the while flipping me off out the window. I'm no fool and just happily follow behind them, no tail gating, nothing. They get to the light and I lanesplit to the front like usual and they continue to yell profanities at me. I think there were kids in the car too!

This has never happened to me before so I start wondering why they were so pissed off. Then I realized that the Admore lighting kit I have on the top case flashes the brake lights 3 or 4 times when you brake.

So this guy must have thought I deliberately cut him off, and then flashed my brake lights to as if i was telling him "haha fuck you asshole I cut you off". when really I was just trying to turn left.

Moral of the story, be careful with the admore lighting kit when you're riding through the ghetto. - ppl get pissed off more easily there.
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
it must be that time of year I was driving home from work in my car and some a****** did the same thing to me on the 91 freeway. Be careful out there holidays are stressful for people
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
UTC quote
My top case flew open on the tollway and my purse nearly flew out, twice. Luckily, both times a fellow driver alerted me by pulling up next to me and gesturing.

Now I make sure that my top case is totally shut. You gotta really tug and jigggle it pretty good. Make sure your contents are loaded away from that latch.

As for the other idiots, it's the season. I had an encounter with a rude person in a crowded parking lot during christmas shopping. Don't know why people get so wound up. Just park at the end of the lot and walk in. It's not going to kill you to get a little exercise. But everyone wants to fight over that one open spot.
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
Wow. Sounds like those people really need to lighten up. It's not like you were putting them in danger.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Re: Bizarre day of scooting around
noeltazz wrote:
The first thing is that I was going on the freeway and all of a sudden my top case FLIES OPEN. .
It's quite startling when you are going down the freeway and it hits you in the back. Scared the hell out of me first time it happened.
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S
UTC quote
I'm curious, what brand topcase were you all using? I have a givi on my bike and it has never opened while riding.

I never understood the brake check from angry drivers. I have had it done to me a couple of times in the car, when I have accidentally cut off a driver. I always wave sorry and they still race in front of me and slam on the brakes. Are they hoping I will hit them and they can sue? If I had a dash cam could you fight a brake check in court?

Some people are just really unstable on the road. Be careful out there.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Strick wrote:
I'm curious, what brand topcase were you all using? I have a givi on my bike and it has never opened while riding.

I never understood the brake check from angry drivers. I have had it done to me a couple of times in the car, when I have accidentally cut off a driver. I always wave sorry and they still race in front of me and slam on the brakes. Are they hoping I will hit them and they can sue? If I had a dash cam could you fight a brake check in court?.
It's called a Stoop and Squat, and it is a technique used to cause accidents. If you have a dash cam and did hit someone like that, it's highly likely it would appear they were trying to commit insurance fraud.
I've had both my stock topcase, which can be difficult to latch when it is full, and my Hepco Becker, which I just forgot to latch, open up. Usually happens when you hit a bump or get on the freeway, suddenly something hits you in the back.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
My Givi top case bounced open once when I went over railroad tracks too fast but immediately closed. I pulled over thinking I broke something but I had just forgotten to engage the lock.

Pulling left out of Dunkin Donuts this morning a woman in a beat up minivan stopped a whole line of slow moving vehicles and waved me out. Not sure but I think she also blew me a kiss. At least someone was in the spirit today.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
FROG the kiss was for the bike not you. Laughing emoticon I keed. Yeah people need to get a life. I was looking fr something in the bike section at WalMart and this woman was standing right where i needed to look. I asked her to move a little so i could find thing and she took me to my word,she moved a little. So i looked and of course i needed something where she was now standing with her cart. I said excuse me again and that i needed something. She got pissy and made a comment about if i had asked her to really move she would of. I think i'll go to the one that's in a better neighborhood next time. I like the road to that one tho.
OP
UTC

Hooked
2009 250 GTS Super

Hooked
2009 250 GTS Super
UTC quote
Strick wrote:
I have the official vespa 42l one.
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
UTC quote
I had the displeasure of watching a woman yell at an obviously older woman (Grandmother) who was moving slowly out of a revolving door. She had jumped in behind the old woman and when the older woman stopped walking she started yelling at her "Watch out!" and "Move it!" and shoved around her and went tearing off. It only took about 30 seconds but it shocked the heck outta me.

The old woman was a little shook up so I commented to her and her family and hoped they would shake it off and have a good holiday.

Some people are psychotic and the holidays just makes it worse.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
noeltazz wrote:
Then, I was riding home in the GHETTO. I was riding along, and realized I need to turn left, luckily the left turn lane to the left JUST turned green so I slide on in like I've always done a million times without incident.
I had to technically cut this guy off but it has never been a big deal. I imagine the scooter is so small that nobody really cares if theyre cut off (its not like a gigantic SUV cutting you off, am i right?)
Obviously some drivers are a little to tightly wrapped. On the other hand, given that there are any number of unstable folks out there with short fuses - cutting them off while riding a scooter may not be a good plan.
If they hit your SUV you will hardly feel it - if they hit your scooter it will hurt a lot.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
Rather than cutting someone off when I'm in that situation, I make eye contact with the driver and use my hand to signal my need to change lanes. I've never had anyone refuse. I give them a friendly wave. When you cut someone off it makes no difference what size vehicle you are driving. It's equally obnoxious. And as pointed out, more dangerous for you on a PTW.

-Craig
OP
UTC

Hooked
2009 250 GTS Super

Hooked
2009 250 GTS Super
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
Rather than cutting someone off when I'm in that situation, I make eye contact with the driver and use my hand to signal my need to change lanes. I've never had anyone refuse. I give them a friendly wave. When you cut someone off it makes no difference what size vehicle you are driving. It's equally obnoxious. And as pointed out, more dangerous for you on a PTW.

-Craig
Good call, I'm usually a pretty courteous rider (i actually tried to wave and apologize to the guy in this situation but he was pretty pissed off to notice/care), that particular situation was so sudden I had to make a split decision to hit the hole, and the flashing brake lights probably exacerbated the situation.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
noeltazz wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:

-Craig
Good call, I'm usually a pretty courteous rider (i actually tried to wave and apologize to the guy in this situation but he was pretty pissed off to notice/care), that particular situation was so sudden I had to make a split decision to hit the hole, and the flashing brake lights probably exacerbated the situation.
The guy definitely over reacted. Kinda scary how angry people can get over something so minor. Having to make a split second decision in the future, you might be better off just to go straight and turn around and come back. Not because you will always run into a crazy driver but you might actually get run over from behind if the person you jump in front of is not paying attention. One thing that being 52 y/o has brought to me is patience. Patience will keep you out of a variety of bad situations.

-Craig
OP
UTC

Hooked
2009 250 GTS Super

Hooked
2009 250 GTS Super
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
One thing that being 52 y/o has brought to me is patience. Patience will keep you out of a variety of bad situations.

-Craig
Absolutely 100% spot on
@aussiekas avatar
UTC

Hooked
Honda Forza 300 2014

Hooked
@aussiekas avatar
Honda Forza 300 2014
UTC quote
What's that saying?

Hell is other people? Especially cagers.

I think I might have added that last part
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0150s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0034s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]