@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
I have the 2012 UK 500 LT, it is the one with the three storage compartments below the screen and the fully enclosed handlebars.

I am not proficient at anything remotely technical so will need to have any work done by a local engineer.

I have the cigarette lighter socket under the seat but would prefer not to have a wire trailing from there if possible.

I am looking to get some sort of power to the front of the machine to run a sat nav and/or phone. I am hoping that what I have done will give me the flexibility to use different devices if needs be so I can swap between maybe a Samsung Galaxy S3, Iphone 4/5, a 7 inch tablet and or a dedicated sat nav.

I am considering using the RAM system to give me that flexibility but have never seen one so am trying to work out from the website descriptions which bits I will need.

First the power...... I am hoping a local auto electrician I have used in the past on my car will be able to do the wiring and install something up-front. His time is my money, so anything I can tell him to speed up the process will be useful, especially about how to remove the tupperware.

What sort of power socket?
Is one sufficient?
Where is a good place for it?

Next the RAM system...... The only place I can see where something could be attached is to one of the mirrors. Is that a good option or should I look to have something more permanent fitted, if so, where and how? I don`t want to obstruct my view or the instruments, or block the storage compartments if at all possible.

Flexibility is crucial, especially if fitted more permanently so if and when I change devices the install doesn`t become redundant.

So, what RAM parts do I need and what is the best place to fit it?

And lastly.......Apart from another horn, what else is worth having done while the tupperware is off?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Steve
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
UTC quote
Click on Search and type in the mod you are looking for. World of information.
OP
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
Tried that, lots of general info but couldn`t find any specific enough.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
Placement of outlet shown here.

Winter Project List...
@norcal_rider avatar
UTC

MP3 500

@norcal_rider avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
For the Ram mount I used the U bolt clamp on the handlebar. Either side works. A short arm will allow a lot of flexibility for mounting your GPS, or phone, or iPod, or camera, or whatever. I think 2 plugs are a good idea; one for GPS unit and another for heated gear. I use the Powerlet sockets. They are not cheap, but they stay connected, are readily available in several configurations as pre made cables, and are a standard in the industry. As far as other mods, you might want to consider HID headllights, heated grips or the turn signal minders mentioned by others.

Have fun with your projects!
OP
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
Thanks for the replies.

I think I will go for two power supplies. is there any merit in having one USB and one cigarette lighter type?

Is there anywhere to take a feed from at the front or is it best taken from the battery?

As I mentioned, the more information I can supply the less time it should take.

Cannot use U bolts for RAM as I don`t have any exposed handlebar.
@norcal_rider avatar
UTC

MP3 500

@norcal_rider avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Estaban wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I think I will go for two power supplies. is there any merit in having one USB and one cigarette lighter type?

Is there anywhere to take a feed from at the front or is it best taken from the battery?

Ooops! Euro LT = no exposed handlebar (sorry I forgot)

Battery power is best for most mods - especially those with high current draw.

USB is becoming more common for powering electronics and there are vendors that offer panel mounted and water resistant sockets. Good option for those uses.
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
Norcal_Rider wrote:
Estaban wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Ooops! Euro LT = no exposed handlebar (sorry I forgot)

Battery power is best for most mods - especially those with high current draw.

USB is becoming more common for powering electronics and there are vendors that offer panel mounted and water resistant sockets. Good option for those uses.
Just remember that USB is NOT battery power - it needs be a regulated 5VDC, and I would fuse it to no more than 2A current. For me the better option was to just have a 12V receptacle to USB converter on hand, and let it take care of the voltage conversion and provide current limit. That way it can be used under the seat or on the dash as needed.

. . . .
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Estaban

did you locate a RAM mount that will work for your situation?
OP
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
Not exactly, have been researching the options today. Still think the mirror is the only way.

Just found this.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAM-MIRROR-MOUNT-9MM-HOLE/dp/B0012TRIY4/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1388084215&sr=8-14&keywords=ram+mount

... not sure how the mirror attaches to the bike though and whether this would work.
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 MP3 400ie, Silver- "Lorelei Lee Long"

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
It's just a threaded rod on the mirror stem's base to a nut on the bottom, passing through the bars. No big deal at all. That RAM mount should work, and you may even have enough thread to do it without further nods. If not, consider adding a set of mirror risers/extenders at the same time, and the you can just use a longer bolt in the process.
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Estaban wrote:
Not exactly, have been researching the options today. Still think the mirror is the only way.

Just found this.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAM-MIRROR-MOUNT-9MM-HOLE/dp/B0012TRIY4/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1388084215&sr=8-14&keywords=ram+mount

... not sure how the mirror attaches to the bike though and whether this would work.
FWIW I tried a GPS mount on my GTS mirror stem and it didn't work out - the vibration the mount gets when riding was enough to transfer down the mirror stem and break the 2 plastic lugs that you screw through to connect the brake cover to the headset, and I had to repair it. I then went for a handlebar RAM mount with a much stronger (see link) and have had no problems with it since with the same GPS pouch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ram-Mounts-Ram-b-149z-Mount-Kit-Motorcycle-Scooter-ATV-/181255788332?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a33afd72c

I don't know the MP3 set-up but sharing this as a cautionary tale. I know others who've used mirror mounts with no problems...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Original set-up with plastic mount on mirror stem (didn't work out for me)
Original set-up with plastic mount on mirror stem (didn't work out for me)
OP
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
Thanks, unfortunately my MP3`s handlebars are enclosed, so that will not work.

Just found this.....
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
looks like a great solution.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
mirror extensions ...

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
The plastic handlebar covers on the 250/400/500 Sport make extensions or Ram mount tabs a little tricky.
OP
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
http://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/712-GIVI-S850-Sat-Nav-Holder/

Is there a video showing how to remove the tupperware on my 500? I have found one for the Fuoco.

Thanks
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
A stepped-bit will solve any issues with using the extensions. And a rubber trim edge around the hole to make it look nice.
OP
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
OK, getting there slowly, will start ringing round next week to get an idea on price. I will get price from my local auto electrician and also a couple of Piaggio dealers.

Decided on two power sockets, one either side, purchased one of the velcro`d sat nav cases so will leave the RAM mount for now.

So all that is left is what to get done while the front is apart. considering a new horn although I have never had to use the existing one. If I do, is this what I need.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stebel-Nautilus-Compact-black-for-cars-and-motorcycles-extremely-loud-/301051573377

If I go with the local auto electrician, are there any tips I can give him that might help, especially re removing the front end and perhaps where best to fit the new horn?

Thanks
@helixpteron avatar
UTC

Piaggio MP3 400 (2008)

@helixpteron avatar
Piaggio MP3 400 (2008)
UTC quote
RAM mount
I bought this:

http://www.ebay.at/itm/RAM-Flex-Adhesive-Marine-Car-Surface-X-Grip-Holder-Mount-for-SmartPhone-iPhone-/400295311724?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:AT:1123

and stuck in right in the middle of the dashboard on top of the back plastic under the screen. Works perfectly to hold my iPhone.
OP
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
Re: RAM mount
helixpteron wrote:
I bought this:

http://www.ebay.at/itm/RAM-Flex-Adhesive-Marine-Car-Surface-X-Grip-Holder-Mount-for-SmartPhone-iPhone-/400295311724?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:AT:1123

and stuck in right in the middle of the dashboard on top of the back plastic under the screen. Works perfectly to hold my iPhone.
Not sure I would trust any suction type mount with an expensive gadget on the other end.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
It takes about 15 minutes to get the front plastic off the MP3 500, so it's easy enough to get back in there.
OP
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
It takes about 15 minutes to get the front plastic off the MP3 500, so it's easy enough to get back in there.
Thanks is that the same for the UK 500 which I think is different to that in the US?
@helixpteron avatar
UTC

Piaggio MP3 400 (2008)

@helixpteron avatar
Piaggio MP3 400 (2008)
UTC quote
Re: RAM mount
Estaban wrote:
helixpteron wrote:
I bought this:

Not sure I would trust any suction type mount with an expensive gadget on the other end.
It's stick on and not suction - works great for me, just clean the surface well before. It's made by RAM - will never come off . I used their suction cup on helicopter windshields and it sticks, so I'm convinced.

You have decided to not use on anyway I guess. Cheerio.
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC quote
Estaban wrote:
The RAM mounts with longer U bolts will fit onto the end of the your left hand rubber hand grip nearest the plastic headset - the hand grips look to be the same on your MP3 as they are on the GTS and that's where/how I fixed my RAM mount - very strong fixing point, non invasive/no modifying needed etc.
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Estaban wrote:

Is there a video showing how to remove the tupperware on my 500? I have found one for the Fuoco.

Thanks
Fuoco and MP3 500 are the same.

Gilera Fuoco in Europe.
MP3 500 in the USA.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
FunkyMonkey wrote:
Estaban wrote:

Thanks
Fuoco and MP3 500 are the same.

Gilera Fuoco in Europe.
MP3 500 in the USA.
He has a 500 Sport so the body is a 250/400 to us in the USA.
OP
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
brown_beret7 wrote:
Estaban wrote:
The RAM mounts with longer U bolts will fit onto the end of the your left hand rubber hand grip nearest the plastic headset - the hand grips look to be the same on your MP3 as they are on the GTS and that's where/how I fixed my RAM mount - very strong fixing point, non invasive/no modifying needed etc.
Thanks, not quite sure where you mean but can`t look at the bike at the moment. Don`t suppose you have a pic of yours in place?
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
Get the Grease Tool if you don't have, and 2 Tubes of Marine Grease...
Look at the Wiki for more info on that.

If you had not already, I would run 12 Volts Fused at the Battery to the Front, where you can power various things via 12V Cig Adapter or USB Port.
Search on MV for proper placement if you plan on drilling.

Keith
OP
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
It is looking like the dealer will be doing the work when they have it in for it`s second service.

They have said it will take about two hours to fit a power point at the front, they were not sure exactly where it would go. No mention of fitting a fuse block, just a fused cable from the battery.

Having seen on the `Notch` thread about the same aged machine just having been repaired under warranty after just 7000 miles, I am going to ask if they will check mine while they have the front off. Not sure they will be able to see anything though. Mine has only done 3000 miles. Mine will probably be out of warranty before I get anywhere near 7000 miles.

Does anyone know whether the front tupperware has to be removed as part of the second service?
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC quote
Estaban wrote:
brown_beret7 wrote:
Estaban wrote:
Thanks, not quite sure where you mean but can`t look at the bike at the moment. Don`t suppose you have a pic of yours in place?
I haven't just now, so I mocked this pic up instead. The U bolt and the mount base separate to go over the rubber hand grip, are pushed up against the plastic of the headset cover, and are fastened together with the nuts. This is a really stable fitting. This means the mount only takes up about a half inch of the rubber hand grip, leaving plenty of grip for normal use (if you're gloved hands aren't huge). The Vespa grips are quite fat so I needed to get a slightly longer U bolt so the nuts would fit (fortunately a kindly web dealer sent me one for free as a good deed). The ball mounts either end allow movement for best position. I screwed the top mount plate (with the 4 holes) to the back of my original sat nav pouch, and that was that. I just need to do the usual GTS power outlet mod so I can power my Tom Tom Sat Nav for more than a few hours battery life. The RAM mounts have lots of variations so you could just substitute whatever top section you need for your particular phone/GPS etc.

Does that make better sense? I'll take a couple of photos over the weekend and post 'em up...
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
OP
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
Got it now, thanks for taking the time.

I have got big hands unfortunately, I will take a look and try and guage how much space I have.
UTC

MP3 500ie ABS/ASR #2

MP3 500ie ABS/ASR #2
UTC quote
Hi,

I have the same bike as you and I used the RAM mount for my Nokia Lumia phone, which is my sat NAV and phone. Using the large ball you can get the mount in the center storage bin and use one of the weather proof boxes to hold what ever you want.

I have attached a picture of mine (it's a bit dark sorry) but it was a bright snowy day. Before anyone comments, this picture was taken for my dealer to get me a new dashboard, as you will see it thinks it is 34 degrees centigrade with snow on the screen

I used the remains of a Tom Tom electrical kit to feed off the ignition circuit onto a relay and that switches the power to my heated grips and phone so that I don't get a flat battery.
OP
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
Thanks, how is the RAM mount attached?
UTC

MP3 500ie ABS/ASR #2

MP3 500ie ABS/ASR #2
UTC quote
OK, so it is one of these bolted to the panel that is the base of the pocket. I added some tapered shims to keep the curve and routed a power lead under the bracket and fed that through into ram aqua box.

It is currently ever so slightly too heavy with my phone on board, so I am going to stiffen the panel as there is room beneath it.

I stole this pic from the "new guy" thread so this isn't my bike, but it is the same ram base "large ball".
OP
@estaban avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT

Hooked
@estaban avatar
2012 MP3 500cc LT
UTC quote
Billy_Batch wrote:
Hi,

I used the remains of a Tom Tom electrical kit to feed off the ignition circuit onto a relay and that switches the power to my heated grips and phone so that I don't get a flat battery.
Can you explain a bit more about how you have accessed the power please?
(in idiot terms if possible).

Maybe there is a better (cheaper) way than having a cigarette lighter socket installed which at the moment looks like it is going to cost me about £130.

Thanks
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC quote
Estaban wrote:
Maybe there is a better (cheaper) way than having a cigarette lighter socket installed which at the moment looks like it is going to cost me about £130.

Thanks
Obviously the MP3 is different, but the lighter socket/power outlet mod is a well established DIY job on the GTS, with lots of owners having done it - here's one thread with instructions and photos, which should give you an idea...

Turn Signal Beeper and 12V Power Outlet on a GTS

The wiring diagrams for the Fuoco/MP3 are in the Wiki, so shouldn't be too difficult to mix the two and have a go - IMHO I wouldn't pay £130 for it.

Workshop Manuals

http://www.wotmeworry.org.uk/manuals/Gilera%20Fuoco%20-%20MP3%20500/
UTC

MP3 500ie ABS/ASR #2

MP3 500ie ABS/ASR #2
UTC quote
I don't see how a cigarette socket can work in the UK, it will fill up with water. I purchased a 12v USB adapter for about £10 and the ran a pair of wires from the battery to the front. These were used as a power source, switched by a relay. The USB adapter and my heated grips have their own in line blade fuses.

The tom tom adapter is a Y-connector which has the same plugs as the ignition switch so it picks up the accessories live from when you turn the key. I used this to turn on the relay and to turn it off when I stop, thus turning off the heated grips and USB. All of this is installed in the front area and the I routed a STD USB phone charger cable up into the aqua box. Now that Nokia have released the wireless charging plate for cars, I plan to update to that, as a couple of times the micro USB has vibrated out of the phone.

Other folks on here have documented picking up the relay trigger from the headlamp relay so the tom tom adapter isn't required, but as I had it's it was a waste not to use it.

I assume your high cost, is because you are paying someone else to do the work and it you are not comfortable with Electrics then that is probably fair, but it is quite simple really.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1098s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0894s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]