OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Hello!

I'm very new to the forum but been a long time lurker. I been wanting to own a Vespa for a very long time. I'm thinking of picking up a 2005 Vespa GT 200L with 8000 miles, top case, and matching helmet for 2k. Is that a good deal? It's never been dropped. Just looking for something to commute on local roads and also some highway riding.

Is there anything I should look at mechanically? Whats different from the GT200 and GT 200L model?

Thanks in advance.
UTC

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300

Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300
UTC quote
Hi Lucy and welcome to the forum, I can't tell you the difference between the two models but if that bike were in w.ma. at that price I would buy it. Sounds like a good Christmas present to yourself.
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
A gt200 and a gt200L are one and the same bike. There was only 1 200cc modern Vespa ever released by Piaggio. Some people just chose to leave off the "L" when discussing the bike.

Best of luck!
@hachi avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 GT 200

Ossessionato
@hachi avatar
2005 GT 200
UTC quote
Welcome to the forum lucyl. That sounds like a fair deal to me. The GT200 is a awesome scooter and will serve your needs well. I think that they are all L models. As for mechanical, I would assume that as long as it starts and runs well then you should be safe. If you want to be extra safe you could have it inspected by a mechanic. Being able to "read" the seller is also helpful. Ask about maintenance records etc. At that mileage it is due for a new belt and rollers and other basic maintenance if it hasn't been done yet. The maintenance schedule is on page 87 of the owner's manual and can be viewed here - GT200 owner's manual
@brighton_belle avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200

Hooked
@brighton_belle avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Hi Lucy
and welcome...I have a GT200 and they are great performers,rock solid and excellent road holding and easy to handle.

I have never had any issues with my scoot....with the purchase of the GT you are thinking about,just check that the services levels have been carried out when they were due...and ask if a new belt and rollers have been replaced...I think they may be due at around this milage....not a issue if they haven't but may need to be taken up into account on the final buy price if you need to have them replaced with new by your local mechanic.

happy buying and post a pic if you go ahead with the purchase.
cheers Mike
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S
UTC quote
Hi Lucy! Welcome to MV!!

Buy the bike and know eternal happiness!!

Good luck, have fun and ride safely.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Thanks everyone for the replies and tips! I will post a picture as soon as I pick it up.
@blackrod avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200L

Addicted
@blackrod avatar
2005 GT200L
UTC quote
Hi Lucy

I picked up a 2005 Vespa GT200 in the end of October for $2,050. It was in good condition. Two dents on the front of the leg shield and scratches on the right cowl from being tipped over.

I have a 90 day warranty and a few issues came up thus far:

Electrical issue with fuel gauge. Dealer replaced with pulley sliders and carb clean rather than fixing a electrical fuel gauge issue.

There was a crackling noise when decelerating. Dealer replaced the silencer and replaced all bearings on rear hub which corrected issue.

Now the bike is running well. I am taking to another dealer to be looked at to make sure all is good before the warranty expires. I have not paid for one repair.

I would tell the seller you would like a vespa mechanic to thoroughly check bike before purchasing just to be on the safe side. That way you can negotiate price if any work needs to be done.

Best
Ross

[/b]
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text to MV from the Sunny Aegean!

Looking forward to pictures.........
@drscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 GTS 250ie 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 803 2005 Sportster 883XL 2010 GTS 300ie

Addicted
@drscooter avatar
2007 GTS 250ie 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 803 2005 Sportster 883XL 2010 GTS 300ie
UTC quote
According to the Kelly's Blue Book that seems to be a fair price, if it looks good and has been kept up on your maintainence you have a very good chance of getting a fine bike and fair deal. That said, winter is a buyers season, perhaps a bit less so in a warm climate. Also, in the USA many people buy motorcycles and scooters for the wrong reason and with a bit of searching there are many very low mile bikes to be found. In many ways it just depends on how much effort and your time frame for purchase. I usually decide a (sort of) which bike and model I want to look for and then I just cruise Ebay and Cycle Trader until I chance upon the bike that is just too good a deal not to buy on my winter hunt. It's kind of a sport, I have always scored a good bike and as for luck, they all needed "some" money. However, only one out of five did I give up on (electric gremlins) and sell as all the others were major keepers for many years. Most had less than a thousand miles and even the one I sold due to the gremlins, well in the spring time I got all my money back, so just a little waste of time. Still, sounds like a decent deal so best-O-luck ....
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
All I can say is, if you buy it and ride it like it was intended to be ridden, you will love it.
@rider33 avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200

Hooked
@rider33 avatar
GT200
UTC quote
I have a GT200 with about 9,000 miles ('07?) and other than evap canister removal to ease warm starts, 'no problems at all. It is a very well build bike and the engine is not particularly over-stressed. In buying used bikes, I tend to be more leery of very low mileage than mileage appropriate for its age. in my experience a 5 year old bike with 500 miles on it is apt to have more problems than one with 5,000 miles as sitting doesn't help things like hoses, gaskets & assorted rubber bits at all. Just remember to build the cost of needed service into the price. As pointed out, it is likely to need a belt & always start with fresh fluids.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Aloha and welcome to the forum from Hawaii. Get it their a great bike. We have a bunch (most of the people in our group have 200's). Well made reliable scooter. Might have to change out the fuel line if it hasn't been done. Check to see when the belt and rollers were changed also. With a little bit of maintenance (since it's older and if it hasn't been done) you'll tens of thousands of fun filled miles on it. Pics when you get it please.
@scoot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa 946

Molto Verboso
@scoot avatar
Vespa 946
UTC quote
probably the best made Vespa ever in terms of build quality/performance
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Without details it is difficult to say whether it is a good deal or not. The blue book rating is much higher than the price asked for here. It sounds like a steal to me. I paid much more for mine but I have a top box and OEM Vespa windscreen. Plus it has a brand new Walbro carburator in it.
@blove avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 200 Gt &2010 300 GTS

Enthusiast
@blove avatar
2007 200 Gt &2010 300 GTS
UTC quote
Sounds like a good deal and that you've decided to buy it. Post a picture when you can and read the wiki's to familiarize yourself with the workings of the scoot.
@jackr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GT200L Alabaster 2004 "Lady"
Location: Ishioka, Ibaragi Pref., Japan and Khun Han, Isaan, Thailand

Ossessionato
@jackr avatar
GT200L Alabaster 2004 "Lady"
Location: Ishioka, Ibaragi Pref., Japan and Khun Han, Isaan, Thailand
UTC quote
Sounds like a good deal
I love mine to bits
Safe riding
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
Re: thinking of picking up a 2005 Vespa GT 200 L
lucyl wrote:
2005 Vespa GT 200L with 8000 miles
while that isn't a ton of miles, that is a critical mileage point. you could be in for some significant maintenance costs-- belt and roller replacement, valve adjustment, possibly general service (oil/filter, air filter, etx) and maybe some tires.

i'd ask for a full service history, and use the possible repair costs to pull the price down a few more bucks.

best,
-greasy
@tb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro

Ossessionato
@tb avatar
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
lucyl wrote:
2005 Vespa GT 200L with 8000 miles
while that isn't a ton of miles, that is a critical mileage point. you could be in for some significant maintenance costs-- belt and roller replacement, valve adjustment, possibly general service (oil/filter, air filter, etx) and maybe some tires.

i'd ask for a full service history, and use the possible repair costs to pull the price down a few more bucks.

best,
-greasy
My GT200 (2005) has been a good scooter, however please check out repair records and eyes wide open concerning the maintenance (mentioned in above post) that will eventually come up (don't forget brake fluid and coolant change).

Check out the Wiki Library under Maintenance and drill down to GT200.

Don't get surprised that it you remove rear tire the graphite gasket issue will crop up and just be aware of proper removal and reinstall. Attempt to learn and DIY maintenance and repairs. You can reach out within your area and find out if fellow MV'ers either have done their own wrenching or can recommend reasonable and reputable Vespa shops.

Good Luck!
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
lucyl wrote:
Hello!

Whats different from the GT200 and GT 200L model?

Thanks in advance.
I have one of each, and my 200L has the round starter and horn button like the ET models and has 200L on the glovebox, and the GT200 has the rectangular ones like the GTS and has GT 200 on the glovebox. Other than that, they are pretty much identical.
At that price, the bike is a great deal, and if it is clean and starts and runs well, it's hard to go wrong.
@fullthrottle avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 Vespa Granturismo 200L. 2005 Piaggio BV200.

Hooked
@fullthrottle avatar
2008 Vespa Granturismo 200L. 2005 Piaggio BV200.
UTC quote
I have a 2008 GT200L which I bought used in 2009 for about $3000, but it had very low miles and was like new.

$2000 sounds like a great deal. As other's have said, it's an excellent well made machine. Mine has never given me a single mechanical or electrical problem, other than the drive belt came apart at 9k miles and I had to replace that. I should have replaced it sooner, when I noticed it was starting to slip and shudder.

Just to the basic maintenance, and you'll enjoy many miles on it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0183s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0069s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]