@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 MP3 400ie, Silver- "Lorelei Lee Long"

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
...And I have the 09 400 with the collar that has the flanges too, yet still managed to blast that graphite collar out completely. Not a trace of it to be seen. I noticed because I thought the bike sounded louder on the way in to work today, so I took a look when I got parked. I suspect thermal flexing is the root cause of it working loose, as I do ride all th way down to sub-freezing, and it was just above freezing yesterday when I rode around to a few friend's houses with gifts.
@ponydrvr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D

Molto Verboso
@ponydrvr avatar
Honda CTX 700D
UTC quote
I have a couple in stock if you want one? Give me a call.
OP
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
Yeah, I'm not sure. I recall I have to take off the exhaust to replace it, yes? I'm not likely to be able to get to that for a while, and I've got a list of things to be done anyway, so I might wait for the next time it goes up on your lift and we could go to town on it...

Incidentally I was wishing I had your paint job yesterday, when I was riding around in my red helmet to deliver presents, with a big white Santa beard affixed to the chinbar...
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Sidecutter wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure. I recall I have to take off the exhaust to replace it, yes? I'm not likely to be able to get to that for a while, and I've got a list of things to be done anyway, so I might wait for the next time it goes up on your lift and we could go to town on it...

Incidentally I was wishing I had your paint job yesterday, when I was riding around in my red helmet to deliver presents, with a big white Santa beard affixed to the chinbar...
don't ride it if you don't replace the graphite gasket you WILL end up cracking or breaking the head pipe.
@ponydrvr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D

Molto Verboso
@ponydrvr avatar
Honda CTX 700D
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
don't ride it if you don't replace the graphite gasket you WILL end up cracking or breaking the head pipe.
And just HOW do you know that? Razz emoticon
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
ponydrvr wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
And just HOW do you know that? Razz emoticon
a customer ran his with it gone and I had to replace the head pipe for him. Cracked the flange where it bolts to the Cyl.
OP
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
Not a whole lot of choice about riding it, really. I have to at least take it home tonight. Just have to hope for the best.

And I have no idea how much of the ~80 miles I rode yesterday it was missing. Can't even be 100% sure it didn't go missing a day or two before that, but given how noticeable it was, I doubt it was missing prior to yesterday.
UTC

Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Never heard of this happening unless it was loose and you didn't know it.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
norCal Randy wrote:
you hear of it all the time in the general discussion area. Has been talked about here in the mp3 area quite a few times as well.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
norCal Randy wrote:
you hear of it all the time in the general discussion area. Has been talked about here in the mp3 area quite a few times as well.
Are we talking about the muffler attachment or the head attachment? If the head, on some MP3 models you have to loosen that to get to the rear tire/rim. Maybe someone forgot to tighten it then.
OP
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
The muffler attachment. Where the graphite collar goes. Definitely not unheard of, but I'm not sure if anyone with the "flanged" collar has had this happen other than me. The flanges were added as of the 2009 models to prevent exactly this.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Sidecutter wrote:
The muffler attachment. Where the graphite collar goes. Definitely not unheard of, but I'm not sure if anyone with the "flanged" collar has had this happen other than me. The flanges were added as of the 2009 models to prevent exactly this.
the tabs were added to put the clamp in the proper spot. Nothing to do with holding the graphite gasket. The graphite gasket is a normal wear item and does disenergrate after many miles. Not made to last forever.
OP
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
OK, I'll take your word on it. I was under the distinct impression that one purpose of those tabs was to prevent the gasket from slipping out, as perfectly good gaskets have been known to do here.
@tross avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500, Lambretta GP TS1 225

Addicted
@tross avatar
MP3 500, Lambretta GP TS1 225
UTC quote
If I look at mine I can see some wear on it. So when I have to take off the exhaust to change the rear tire I'll be replacing it. I also keep a spare one under the seat as I had one let go on a trip. Exhaust tape can be used as a temp fix and will lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. Also a cut to size copper pipe can work as a temp fix as well.I know a few people have used the copper pipe fix as a solution but I think it puts to much stress on the header pipe and it cracks. I bought some $10 graphite ones from the UK from ebay and will be trying them for longevity. They are graphite and I believe so the many hot and cold cycles will break them down. So if your going to order some make sure it's more than one.

Cheers,
Tross
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
UTC quote
Sidecutter wrote:
OK, I'll take your word on it. I was under the distinct impression that one purpose of those tabs was to prevent the gasket from slipping out, as perfectly good gaskets have been known to do here.
That was my impression also.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0145s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0047s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]