OP
UTC

'14 Piaggio Fly 150

'14 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
I am thinking about buying one for my daily commute, but have some hesitations. How does the scooter handle say on rolling hills? Also, is the handling/throttle/braking easy to handle? I have never had a scooter, so I want to make sure I get one that a beginner can handle. Thanks for the help!
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text to MV from the Sunny Aegean!

A 150cc scooter should be just fine. Start out by taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course. That will help you get some basic riding knowledge and skill. It will also get you your motorcycle endorsement.

Then just take your time and built experience and confidence.
@irishtim avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Genuine Stella 150, 2008 Genuine Buddy, 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v

Ossessionato
@irishtim avatar
2005 Genuine Stella 150, 2008 Genuine Buddy, 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v
UTC quote
Definitely follow Aviator 47's advice on the MSF course. Well-worth the time.

As far as the 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v goes: easily the best bike for the money
(by far). Rolling Hills no problem. I live in a very hilly area and the bike performs great: decent pick-up, tremendous mileage, very easy to ride. It's an automatic transmission, air-cooled, fuel-injected, four stroke engine. (Translation: put gas in, twist and go.). Excellent scooter if you are shorter of stature (lower seat height). We have five bikes and, unless I'm going on the highway, I usually take the Fly 150 3v. If you compare it against another excellent first scooter -the Genuine Buddy- you'll do better in nearly all areas.
The Buddy is faster off of the line but the Fly has a faster top end.
OP
UTC

'14 Piaggio Fly 150

'14 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
IrishTim wrote:
Definitely follow Aviator 47's advice on the MSF course. Well-worth the time.

As far as the 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v goes: easily the best bike for the money
(by far). Rolling Hills no problem. I live in a very hilly area and the bike performs great: decent pick-up, tremendous mileage, very easy to ride. It's an automatic transmission, air-cooled, fuel-injected, four stroke engine. (Translation: put gas in, twist and go.). Excellent scooter if you are shorter of stature (lower seat height). We have five bikes and, unless I'm going on the highway, I usually take the Fly 150 3v. If you compare it against another excellent first scooter -the Genuine Buddy- you'll do better in nearly all areas.
The Buddy is faster off of the line but the Fly has a faster top end.
Thanks for the info. Irishtim, I am from Wayne county, between Wooster and Orrvile, so I am sure you know of the rolling hills down here. Any thoughts on riding the Piaggio on 1-3 miles of smooth chipped and sealed roads?
UTC

Molto Verboso
LXS 150

Molto Verboso
LXS 150
UTC quote
The road to hell may be paved with good intentions, but the roads IN hell are all freshly-laid chip-and-seal.
@irishtim avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@irishtim avatar
UTC quote
PM'd you.
@big_boys_mother avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster

Molto Verboso
@big_boys_mother avatar
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
UTC quote
Welcome! You have been given good advice by Aviator and IrishTim.

My first scooter was a 150 and after the first season I ended up selling it and upgraded to a 250. Primarily for the reason you mention ... hills. I required more oomph to get up the hills, especially on steeper hills and longer rides. With the 150, I had WOT on a few of those hills and it seemed forever to get up the hill. It would take me all day to get to Mohican State Park if I were on the 150. Wha? emoticon

Grant it, it is not the Fly, and I cannot speak for the Fly.

As to riding on chip and seal ... it was not an issue, whatsoever, on the 150. I live rurally and most roads are chip and seal (think Amish).

May I recommend you edit the title, and include the word Mid-Ohio or something as such. You will hear from a few other Buckeyes.
UTC

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy
UTC quote
I have a buddy 150 and it handles a lot of things it's not meant to without complaint.

Add some fuel injection and very long service intervals, I don't see how you could go wrong.

Take the course, invest in good gear (see my thread Had a crash...)

Above all, have fun!
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
OP
UTC

'14 Piaggio Fly 150

'14 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Bought It!!
I went up to Pride of Cleveland Scooters in Lakewood and got an amazing deal on 2014 Piaggio Fly... out the door just under $3100 in cash. Very pleasant experience up there, and they are even holding it for another month or so until the weather improves.
@teapotdome avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 GT (sold) 2015 GTS (sold) 2007 LX (sold)

Molto Verboso
@teapotdome avatar
2006 GT (sold) 2015 GTS (sold) 2007 LX (sold)
UTC quote
Congratulations on the new scoot!

Please post a picture or two when you have the chance.

You got a good deal on a great scooter!
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Re: Bought It!!
varnson wrote:
I went up to Pride of Cleveland Scooters in Lakewood and got an amazing deal on 2014 Piaggio Fly... out the door just under $3100 in cash. Very pleasant experience up there, and they are even holding it for another month or so until the weather improves.
That is a killer deal! I'm sure you'll enjoy it, as well as the infrequent service intervals!
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Awesome deal and i hear, Phil who owns the POC is awesome. Have fun with it when the weather cooperates. Pics when you get it please.
OP
UTC

'14 Piaggio Fly 150

'14 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Transporting in Minivan
Looking to go pick up my Fly 150 from the dealer. The dealer is a good 40miles from my house. My parents have a minivan, with door and trunk height clearance of 46inches. My question for you guys, do you think teh fly 150 will make it through? I konw once we get it inside it will have pletny of room. Thanks!
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
I've seen people put Scooters in minivans and the trunks of cars, so I know it can be done.
You will need a couple of people to wrangle it, and you need to tell the dealer you are doing this. Most dealers deliver new scooters with a full tank of gas, and you need to let them know not to do this. Also, you will need a tool to take the mirrors off. A lot of dealers won't help you load it in something like a minivan, due to liability issues, the fact that it's a bad idea to stick one in a minivan and if you scratch it they want it to be on you, not them, etc, I don't know what their policy is. Also, bring a plastic liner for the floor of the minivan, some blankets, pillows or mover's blankets because you are more than likely going to have to lean it against something, and a couple or three cam style tiedown straps, not the ratchet ones.
A better idea, in my opinion, if you have a hitch on the back of the minivan, would be to rent a motorcycle trailer or even a small utility trailer from your local U-Haul. It should be under $25 a day, and haul it back in that. Again, at least two cam style straps, and something to put in front of the front tire if the front fender hangs over, so that when you compress the front suspension, you don't drive the fender into the trailer.
Good luck with your new Fly. You should be able to put some serious miles on it, if previous incarnations of the Fly are any indication.
@vespinado avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'12 GTS 300 Super

Molto Verboso
@vespinado avatar
'12 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Other than taking off the mirrors, I can't see why it wouldn't fit.

Mine was delivered, but we could have easily loaded it in a van or truck.

I like Motovista's trailer idea if one is available...

Good luck and get ready to smile a lot!
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Re: Transporting in Minivan
I vote for renting a U-Haul cargo van. The dealer will have a ramp and you can just roll the scoot right in the back. If you're new to motorcycles and scooters, you'll have a devil of a time getting it and out of a minivan. I wouldn't recommend a trailer for your first transport experience - it takes some know how getting a bike properly strapped to a trailer, and your folks may not be comfortable towing one.

Another option: Take a friend with a motorcycle license along and have him/her give you a ride home on it.
OP
UTC

'14 Piaggio Fly 150

'14 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Thanks for the advice... I can ride it back, I do have my temps.. but don't wanna make my first ride 40miles long... My dad said he would ride it back for me, but dont want to subject him to cold temps... Is there a specific tool that takes the mirrors off? Sorry for my ignorance on the matter.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Do what makes you comfortable. Removing the mirrors is a piece of cake. No special tools necessary. They just screw in. There's a nut under the plastic to lock them in place. Lift the plastic, loosen the nut with a crescent wrench and spin the mirror off. The dealer can show you.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Congrats on the new scooter. Pics or it didn't happen. Razz emoticon Hope the weather gets better for you. Phil of POC rocks.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0219s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0114s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]