@bommes avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250 a.b.s.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 483
Location: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
 
Hooked
@bommes avatar
GTS 250 a.b.s.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 483
Location: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
UTC quote
Pictures or it didn't hapen ..
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
This is all I got. Rides like a dream and was dirt cheap.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Drove 10 miles this morning. I really like it. The sound of the 4 stroke engine is awesome. I'm not sure about the exhaust though. The Tecnigas exhausts look a bit cheap. I'm leaning towards a Turbokit exhaust at the moment. But they are EUR 100 more expensive so I'm still not sure. I'll think I'll enjoy the stock engine for the time being. 8)
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4195
Location: Staffordshire England
 
Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4195
Location: Staffordshire England
UTC quote
Congratulations on the arrival of your first Vespa Clap emoticon

Before my mate bought a (triked) Fuoco 500, he went everywhere on a Yam Neo's 50cc. The furthest he went was to the national scooter rally at Woolacombe, 9 hour 220 mile trip on A and B roads

if i was planning your little trip ( ) i'd budget for no more than 200 miles per day..?
@davelx avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 Piaggio BV-350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1879
Location: Virginia, USA, from London, England
 
Molto Verboso
@davelx avatar
2016 Piaggio BV-350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1879
Location: Virginia, USA, from London, England
UTC quote
Welcome bro. Awesome trip!
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
fleece wrote:
Congratulations on the arrival of your first Vespa Clap emoticon

Before my mate bought a (triked) Fuoco 500, he went everywhere on a Yam Neo's 50cc. The furthest he went was to the national scooter rally at Woolacombe, 9 hour 220 mile trip on A and B roads

if i was planning your little trip ( ) i'd budget for no more than 200 miles per day..?
I think we will stick with 200 miles per day if I'm riding with my girlfriend. When I return from my trip to lake Garda I'm going to try to ride 1100 kilometers in two days. That would make for around 10 hour drives a day. Ambitious I know.
@bommes avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250 a.b.s.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 483
Location: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
 
Hooked
@bommes avatar
GTS 250 a.b.s.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 483
Location: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
UTC quote
Petrolhead Tom wrote:
Drove 10 miles this morning. I really like it. The sound of the 4 stroke engine is awesome. I'm not sure about the exhaust though. The Tecnigas exhausts look a bit cheap. I'm leaning towards a Turbokit exhaust at the moment. But they are EUR 100 more expensive so I'm still not sure. I'll think I'll enjoy the stock engine for the time being. 8)
I would stick with the stock exhaust and invest in a CDI upgrade and maybe another vario and stuff like that.
Only changing out the exhaust on a otherwise stock 4 stroke will not change much in the speed and torque, it will just make it noisier. Razz emoticon

Oh end get some long lasting tires for a trip like that, otherwise you will need to change them half way through your trip.
And get a tire repair kit so you can plug it up and drive on.
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
I'm absolutely changing the tires before I leave. I would like an exhaust upgrade just for the noise and the looks. Making it faster is impossible in Holland. The cops do rolling road tests here and if your scooter goes faster than 65 kilometers an hour you get a ticket. If it goes beyond 75 kilometers an hour it get's impounded.
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Drove another 5 miles. It is so great to be back on two wheels. I love it!
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4041
Location: Ogden, UT U.S.A.
 
Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4041
Location: Ogden, UT U.S.A.
UTC quote
I was in Amsterdam last February. I was on the tram on my way to the Rijksmuseum and saw a ton of Vespas covered in snow parked on the street. It was damn cold and wet. Keep warm and have fun!
@bommes avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250 a.b.s.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 483
Location: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
 
Hooked
@bommes avatar
GTS 250 a.b.s.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 483
Location: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
UTC quote
Petrolhead Tom wrote:
I'm absolutely changing the tires before I leave. I would like an exhaust upgrade just for the noise and the looks. Making it faster is impossible in Holland. The cops do rolling road tests here and if your scooter goes faster than 65 kilometers an hour you get a ticket. If it goes beyond 75 kilometers an hour it get's impounded.
I know abouth the law (I am also in the Netherlands) but your trip is mostly outside our fine Dutch borders.. Razz emoticon
So make it run like hell..
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Bommes wrote:
Petrolhead Tom wrote:
I'm absolutely changing the tires before I leave. I would like an exhaust upgrade just for the noise and the looks. Making it faster is impossible in Holland. The cops do rolling road tests here and if your scooter goes faster than 65 kilometers an hour you get a ticket. If it goes beyond 75 kilometers an hour it get's impounded.
I know abouth the law (I am also in the Netherlands) but your trip is mostly outside our fine Dutch borders.. Razz emoticon
So make it run like hell..
In Germany your 50cc scooter get's impounded when it can exceed 70 kilometers an hour. The point of the trip just isn't to make is go as fast as possible. It is the experience. The journey.
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC

Member
Vespa PX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10
Location: Scotland
 
Member
Vespa PX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10
Location: Scotland
UTC quote
Lake Garda is a great area, if you need a base in that area this hotel is good, bike friendly with a parking garage, pool is paddling only but is 2 mins from monte baldo cable car and 5 mins from town centre.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g194807-d662306-Reviews-Hotel_Meridiana-Malcesine_Province_of_Verona_Veneto.html
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Thanks for the kind replies and advice!

My Vespa just went from this:
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Untitled by Petrolhead Tom, on Flickr

To this:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Untitled by Petrolhead Tom, on Flickr
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
So. Making plans for the Vespa during my ownership (of which I assume it will be very long lasting).

As said before I'm planning on traveling to Italy this summer. Twice. The first time will be with a rally and the second time will be with my girlfriend. I just love the fact that you go on such a long journey with only a mere 50cc engine to propel you to heights of beyond 2000 meters. By doing so I think it is absolutely necessary that both man and machine are both in a 100% condition. So I will be training on my road bike to be as fit as I can be and my Vespa will have to undergo some maintenance work.

I'm planning on a "Iron Butt" rid of about 15 to 20 hours in one day. In my experience are machines that are put to work for extreme periods of time more likely to show any flaws of downsides. By doing so i expect that i can make a list of the things I have to upgrade or repair to make the most out of my journey without sacrificing reliability of my Vespa.

To be continued.
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Had contact with a exhaust builder yesterday. Maybe i'm going the custom route to get a stainless steel exhaust. Otherwise i'll take the Turbokit exhaust.
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Happy!
A forum member of a dutch car forum is going to post to exhaust front pipe's to me to experiment with.

I think I'm going to order one of these mufflers to make a custom exhaust. 8)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-short-commando-peashooter-reverse-cone-silencer-/330992352911?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4d10ae7e8f
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Hit the top speed this morning. On flat it will do 43 MPH with a strong back wind. With a strong head wind it will go only 30 MPH. The plan for the summer is to make it a bit quicker. I'm planning on installing a Mallossi variator. Will this affect the top speed and torque of my scooter by much?
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Ordered one of these. Will get it fit in the next weeks or so. 8)

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@megamod avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX150, 2009 250, '80 P200, '80 PX200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 582
Location: San Diego
 
Addicted
@megamod avatar
2006 LX150, 2009 250, '80 P200, '80 PX200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 582
Location: San Diego
UTC quote
Is there a reason you don't want your motorcycle license. I have rented 50cc scooters and they don't have much get and go on long hills, and I am a small woman. My husband and I have both traveled on A and B roads on 125cc Vespas in France, and we could carry luggage as well. He is very tall and he still got good power for the roads.
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Megamod wrote:
Is there a reason you don't want your motorcycle license. I have rented 50cc scooters and they don't have much get and go on long hills, and I am a small woman. My husband and I have both traveled on A and B roads on 125cc Vespas in France, and we could carry luggage as well. He is very tall and he still got good power for the roads.
I completely understand your question. The main reason for travelling to Italy on the 50cc LX is because of the rally i'm entering. It is only prohibited for vehicles with a 50cc engine. The second reason is: I wouldn't want to do it any other way. The journey on the 50cc scooter is the main attraction. If I wanted to go as fast as possible to Italy I would hop in a plane or grab the keys to my Honda S2000 and drive flat out to Italy but that is something I can do any day of the year. Driving on a 50cc scooter is nuts. And that is the fun part.
@davelx avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 Piaggio BV-350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1879
Location: Virginia, USA, from London, England
 
Molto Verboso
@davelx avatar
2016 Piaggio BV-350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1879
Location: Virginia, USA, from London, England
UTC quote
Petrolhead Tom, I freakin' love you bro. Keep living the scooter dream. Best of luck mate!
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
DaveLX wrote:
Petrolhead Tom, I freakin' love you bro. Keep living the scooter dream. Best of luck mate!
Thanks Dave! That is nice to hear. I just love riding my scoot. Today it was freezing outside but I went out anyway to fill up with petrol. What an awesome thing that little Rotax engine. 8)

This week my exhaust will be in. Let's make it roar!
@davelx avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 Piaggio BV-350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1879
Location: Virginia, USA, from London, England
 
Molto Verboso
@davelx avatar
2016 Piaggio BV-350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1879
Location: Virginia, USA, from London, England
UTC quote
Petrolhead Tom wrote:
DaveLX wrote:
Petrolhead Tom, I freakin' love you bro. Keep living the scooter dream. Best of luck mate!
Thanks Dave! That is nice to hear. I just love riding my scoot. Today it was freezing outside but I went out anyway to fill up with petrol. What an awesome thing that little Rotax engine. 8)

This week my exhaust will be in. Let's make it roar!
I love riding mine too. I tried fixing the left-hand mirror today, but after I epically failed on the 5th attempt, I said screw it and went for a chilly ride instead. It was -4c this morning. Brrrrrr!
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
My mirrors are keep getting lose. I'm thinking of a couple of sidebar mirrors to resolve the problem.
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Took the long way to the office this morning, again! 8)

There he is, just waiting to go on a another adventure.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5122
Location: Naperville, Illinois
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5122
Location: Naperville, Illinois
UTC quote
Petrolhead Tom wrote:
Took the long way to the office this morning, again! 8)

There he is, just waiting to go on a another adventure.
Wow, those little PTW covers are pretty sweet looking. Now why can't we have those here?

OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Belkwinith wrote:
Petrolhead Tom wrote:
Took the long way to the office this morning, again! 8)

There he is, just waiting to go on a another adventure.
Wow, those little PTW covers are pretty sweet looking. Now why can't we have those here?

They are and they are probably the most expensive bike shelters available. I'm working on the most sustainable company "park" in the Netherlands. Some pretty awesome technique is brought into these towers.
@pdc10814 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GTS 250ie, Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 243
Location: Central Coast, CA
 
Hooked
@pdc10814 avatar
2006 GTS 250ie, Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 243
Location: Central Coast, CA
UTC quote
Petrolhead Tom wrote:
Megamod wrote:
Is there a reason you don't want your motorcycle license. I have rented 50cc scooters and they don't have much get and go on long hills, and I am a small woman. My husband and I have both traveled on A and B roads on 125cc Vespas in France, and we could carry luggage as well. He is very tall and he still got good power for the roads.
I completely understand your question. The main reason for travelling to Italy on the 50cc LX is because of the rally i'm entering. It is only prohibited for vehicles with a 50cc engine. The second reason is: I wouldn't want to do it any other way. The journey on the 50cc scooter is the main attraction. If I wanted to go as fast as possible to Italy I would hop in a plane or grab the keys to my Honda S2000 and drive flat out to Italy but that is something I can do any day of the year. Driving on a 50cc scooter is nuts. And that is the fun part.
Sounds like you have a great adventure ahead of you.

Enjoy every minute of it.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
 
World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
UTC quote
Wow i'm rockin those covers as well. You guys really have it going on over there in the Netherlands. Things are thought out and properly done. We should learn form you guys but alas we don't. Envious of your adventure and why not a 50cc. It'll be more fun IMHO.
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Thanks for the kind replies. The bike shelters are pretty neat but not an ideal fit for a Vespa with both mirrors on.
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
It appears that all the exhaust parts are in. This week I'm over my head in finishing my last tests and final paper for law school but after I finish it I will be having the exhaust fixed.
@khaosaming avatar
UTC

Addicted
Peugeot Citystar 200i, Vespa PX 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 798
Location: Finland
 
Addicted
@khaosaming avatar
Peugeot Citystar 200i, Vespa PX 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 798
Location: Finland
UTC quote
What a nice parking facility with that glass igloo. Yet I wonder what they are for in a corporate yard. Anti-theft? Anti-snow or counter-drizzle? Or just for the select few?

In Finland, I'm afraid, they would never allow scooter parking in bicycle designated areas. Well, maybe a 50cc class scooter would go, a bigger one (even in a small frame, like the LX) would be a big no-no.

The segragation is mind bugling here. In my home town (population some 200 000+), we only have three motorcycle parks (free parking). They insist on treating PTW's like cars. This is not the way to make scootering appealing to the masses. In the Netherlands, it's all for the little fellow -- pedestrians and two-wheelers. What a great mind set that I would like to see spreading to the North.
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Exhaust parts are in!

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Vespa by Petrolhead Tom, on Flickr

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Vespa by Petrolhead Tom, on Flickr
@khaosaming avatar
UTC

Addicted
Peugeot Citystar 200i, Vespa PX 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 798
Location: Finland
 
Addicted
@khaosaming avatar
Peugeot Citystar 200i, Vespa PX 200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 798
Location: Finland
UTC quote
@ Petrolhead

The removable silencer looks nice. It certainly facilitates rear tyre change on the road. It should come like this from the factory.

May I ask about the price you paid?
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
of course. I paid around EUR 96 including postage to the Netherlands. You can find it in the link below. They got other awesome mufflers as well but I chose this one because of it's small length.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Classic-Bike-Shop?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
@rajawali avatar
UTC

Hooked
gts3001212
Joined: UTC
Posts: 211
Location: singapore
 
Hooked
@rajawali avatar
gts3001212
Joined: UTC
Posts: 211
Location: singapore
UTC quote
hi
Petrolhead Tom wrote:
Took the long way to the office this morning, again! 8)

There he is, just waiting to go on a another adventure.
i am really impress with the see thru cover.
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Re: hi
rajawali wrote:
Petrolhead Tom wrote:
Took the long way to the office this morning, again! 8)

There he is, just waiting to go on a another adventure.
i am really impress with the see thru cover.
They are quite awesome I have to say.
OP
@petrolhead_tom avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
 
Hooked
@petrolhead_tom avatar
Vespa LX 50 4T
Joined: UTC
Posts: 228
Location: Holland
UTC quote
Yesterday I had to turn in my final paper. I couldn't have done it without my Vespa. I had to get it bonded at a local shop than I had to get in to school in time. Traffic was a bitch. As always but with the Vespa I can split lanes and race through the city.

It is very could though. riding with one degree Celsius on the scooter. I'm trying to have my exhaust fitted this Wednesday.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0382s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0201s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]