@jamesmcl avatar
UTC

ET4 125

@jamesmcl avatar
ET4 125
UTC quote
Hi All,

I've messed a "simple" job right up!

I had oil leaking out of the filter on my pre leader et4, after reading a few threads I came to the conclusion that I should change the filter and the o ring. Aside from after the initial change realising that I had brought the wrong o ring * the one I took out was thicker and almost plastic feeling whilst the new one was rubber when I started the engine and oil came leaking out, when I was putting the cap back on after putting the old one back in I broke a bloody screw!!! Does anyone know which screw I require?

* this is the o-ring I got, it says it's the non leader, surely this isn't correct? http://vespaspares.co.uk/spares/partIMage.asp?GPN=410232&uID=0 could anyone please confirm or let me know if you know the part number of the top of your head or knocking about in an email?

Thanks!

James
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Hey James,

Welcome to MV

Not sure which screw you mean but assume its on this diagram if you broke it while working on the oil filter?
http://www.vespaspares.co.uk/genuineparts/1277/T10/vespa%20et4%20125%20leader%20m192m/oil%20filter?uid=0

At lot of bolts and screws on the ET are pretty standard M6 or M8's that you can get anywhere (eBay etc) but this one looks more unique to the ET

This diagram also has the oil seals for the Leader model, so you should be able to match one with the original you took off. As far as I know you'll have a leader engine if your ET is 2000-2005 or a Pre Leader if its a 1996-1999. If a Pre-Leader the diagram is this one...
http://www.vespaspares.co.uk/genuineparts/1067/T10/vespa%20et4%20125%20not%20leader.%20m041m/oil%20filter?uid=0

Suttons (who run VespaSpares) should be able to get both the seal and the screw out to you quickly by post if they have both in stock (I'd be tempted to ring them to order to double check as I've had to wait weeks for non stock parts ordered on line)

For future reference the SIP exploded diagrams are also very good for ID'ing parts but just now the online page doesn't seem to be running right...
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/main/service/PartsCatalogues.aspx

Good luck with it, you live and learn
OP
@jamesmcl avatar
UTC

ET4 125

@jamesmcl avatar
ET4 125
UTC quote
Thanks so much for that, I had a feeling it was the one I clicked through to but wasn't 100%, I had no idea that diagram existed, so handy! I'll have to wait for it to get delivered which is a bit of a bugger but oh well, for any future searchers that may see this, it's this one http://www.vespaspares.co.uk/spares/partImage.asp?GPN=031091&uid=0

It doesn't have the right listing for the o ring though, the thicker one listed doesn't have the bulge!

Thanks so much again!
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC quote
You're welcome

The Vespa Spares web site isn't very intuitive so its not easy to know the diagrams are available (which is why I prefer the SIP site) but all the parts diagrams sit behind images of your bike, so if you start at this page and click through the pic of the ET, you'll find all the diagrams for future reference...

http://www.vespaspares.co.uk/?source=google&gclid=CI3TjZ7a07sCFfMctAodDVYAfg

If you plan to do more DIY work on the ET (and most things are pretty do-able...) then I'd get the Haynes manual for it, and download the service manuals from the wiki...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HAYNES-MANUAL-VESPA-ET2-2T-1997-/260953254209?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item3cc206a941

Readme1st ! : Modern Vespa Wiki

http://www.wotmeworry.org.uk/manuals/ET4/

All the best,
Paul
OP
@jamesmcl avatar
UTC

ET4 125

@jamesmcl avatar
ET4 125
UTC quote
I've had a go at getting the screw out but it's turning out to be quite hard, am I right in thinking that the part the filter cover comes off from can be removed from as it seems to show in the diagram attached, I've circled the bit I believe the screw is stuck in which I believe looks like can be removed from two screws above and below.

Can it be taken off? I think I'll have to drop the engine out otherwise!
Oil diagram
Oil diagram
Photo of the stuck screw
Photo of the stuck screw
@willie_b avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221

Ossessionato
@willie_b avatar
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221
UTC quote
That shouldn't be that difficult to remove. Is the bolt broken flush, is part of it exposed beyond the face or did it break off below the surface?
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC quote
Not sure how much room you have to work on it but if remember right the ET filter mounts horizontally - I'd try to get a drill or mini drill (with a flex shaft maybe) in there and drill it out, or make a pilot hole, screw another screw into it for grip and try to remove it with that. If it was rusted, some heat from a wallpaper/paint stripping gun or hairdryer on the alloy couldn't hurt and could make the difference to free it.

I wouldn't rush to have the engine out - IMHO it'd be worth buying a mini drill for £30 or so before that if you didn't have one...

Good luck
OP
@jamesmcl avatar
UTC

ET4 125

@jamesmcl avatar
ET4 125
UTC quote
There's a bit poking out but not enough to get a good grip with the mole grips!

Cheers, I'll have a go at it and report back!
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
no fun
best bit of kit i ever bought was a set of draper extractors .... drill hole in center of snapped screw n put extractor in cordless on slow n remove ... if it losses grip move to next size up .... take it slow n dont start kicking scoot
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1017s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0925s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]