OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa PX

Lurker
Vespa PX
UTC quote
Hi can anyone help !!
I have a Vespa PX200 with a 210 mallosi kit with a race crank sip clutch and scorpion exhaust.

When ticking over the engine sounds fine although you can smell petrol a bit more than usual. When idling the engine was hesitating when you revved the engine but I have eliminated that.

As soon as I put it into gear and pull the clutch out the engine cuts out and it smells like the engine has flooded.

Prior to this fault occurring I had to replace the clutch. When the bike was running the engine was hesitating I thought when I replaced the clutch that would have solved that issue.

When I did replace the clutch I wasn't sure if there was too much movement in the fly wheel when I pulled the clutch in meaning that the crank was slightly out, if the crank is out would that cause the effect I am getting ?

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction !!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
I've moved this to the 'Not-so-Modern' section where the shifty crowd hang out.

And welcome to Modern Vespa.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text to MV from the Sunny Aegean!

If you suspect flooding, then check the components related to flooding. Flooding is a result of excess fuel, and fuel comes via the carb.

Have you checked the carb to be sure the float valve is functioning properly? No dirt, proper seating, etc?

Could also be adjusted too rich.
@rob98801 avatar
UTC

Addicted
85 Vepsa PX150E with sidecar, 80 P200 with sidecar, 96 Goldwing with Hannigan Sidecar, LR87aj5, LR91aj3

Addicted
@rob98801 avatar
85 Vepsa PX150E with sidecar, 80 P200 with sidecar, 96 Goldwing with Hannigan Sidecar, LR87aj5, LR91aj3
UTC quote
Have you pulled the spark plug after the engine dies? Is it wet?
@fraggleexport avatar
UTC

Hooked
'65 Sprint 177/ '17 GTS300

Hooked
@fraggleexport avatar
'65 Sprint 177/ '17 GTS300
UTC quote
It sounds like you suspect two different problems...clutch or fuel. Id go for fuel first...
1)when the bike is ticking over is it more smokey from the exhaust (once the choke is off)? If it is it sounds as though its running too rich.
2) once your ticking over if you pull the choke does it stall or go all lumpy? It should want to. If not then again its running rich. Thinking about it you may have autolube?
3) what else has changed or been changed since it was running fine?

Thats all I can muster with the details so far! although guaranteed it will something tiny n simple
@tor2ga avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Looking for the next one, probably electric

Ossessionato
@tor2ga avatar
Looking for the next one, probably electric
UTC quote
I'll jump on the flooding band wagon. It sounds pretty classic. Have you cleaned and rebuilt the carb? I would remove and rebuild the carb. Call Scooter West and plead ignorance; they will give you a lot of help. It sounds like you need the new float valve that will come in the rebuild kit, and maybe a bigger main jet to match the more free flowing pipe. Do an initial set up of the jets and settings like they tell you to, and then fine tune it. There are lots of instructions around for that.

And welcome.
OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa PX

Lurker
Vespa PX
UTC quote
Thanks
Thanks for your suggestions, i will have a closer look in the new year.
The problems started last year in March,
A few of us had engine problems after we stopped at one garage on our way to a rally ! It might be connected or just a fluke !!
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
hmmmmmmmmmmm
supermarket?? there was some bad fuel knocking about at the beginnin of the year
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
UTC quote
I am watching that video of the blue bike over and over and it just blows my mind.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0103s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0028s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]