@mreloc avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV 300 i.e.

Hooked
@mreloc avatar
GTV 300 i.e.
UTC quote
When I lived in Detroit a few years back, I began to notice a pattern of drivers of certain vehicles that always seemed to be the most rude or aggressive drivers on the road- at that time it seemed to be Ford Explorer drivers. They were always on your tail, driving too fast for conditions (frequently ending overturned in ditches), and generally obnoxious and disrespectful of other vehicles around them.

Now I live in southern California- and, hands-down, my observation is that of the drivers of the lowly Toyota Prius that get the prize in my book. Rude and aggressive. Last night I was reminded of this as my wife and I pulled in our car into the alley behind my place (One Way signs), and sure enough there was a Prius barreling down the wrong direction. Being in a kind mood, I backed out into the street to let her pass and give her a break, and sure enough she zoomed right past me without even the consideration of a nod or acknowledgement. Nice.

This is confirmed by a recent episode of the Simpsons where a town with a huge smog problem required its citizens buy Prius's to fix the smog problem... and soon the "smog" was replaced with "smug". Haha- so true!

So, is this a regional car model issue? Or does YMMV?
@dmpawley avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@dmpawley avatar
UTC quote
Oh, there's too many to count.

But, by far, the nicest drivers I have ever experienced are from Pennsylvania. The must be the best drivers in the nation. They know how to drive and are polite and courteous on the road. I'm speaking of experience from central PA. Everyone waves and nobody is in a big hurry.
@kabarash avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]

Molto Verboso
@kabarash avatar
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
UTC quote
dmpawley wrote:
But, by far, the nicest drivers I have ever experienced are from Pennsylvania. The must be the best drivers in the nation. They know how to drive and are polite and courteous on the road. I'm speaking of experience from central PA. Everyone waves and nobody is in a big hurry.
Not wanting to get into an argument, but having lived in the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York 'Death Triangle' for 30+ years, I have found quite the opposite, especially since I started riding scooters... (Just my observations)
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
If you have a Prius tail gating you, you are most likely driving to slow, they are the slowest drivers around
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
UTC quote
It is going to be my personal resolution this year to keep calm and give everyone a pass. You never know what people are dealing with in life.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
WEB i was behind one that was going way over the speed limit. :shock:Cop around the bend motioned for him to pull over and when i went to pull over ( i was right behind him) the cop waved me on. Laughing emoticon My Prius driver gave me a dirty look as i went by him. 8) Guess cops don't like them either. Laughing emoticon
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
judy wrote:
WEB i was behind one that was going way over the speed limit. :shock:Cop around the bend motioned for him to pull over and when i went to pull over ( i was right behind him) the cop waved me on. Laughing emoticon My Prius driver gave me a dirty look as i went by him. 8) Guess cops don't like them either. Laughing emoticon
That's funny.
Ok, not all but MOST Prius drives go slow

And it may be that they just accelerate too damn slow, it's that damn gauge on the dash showing how much power they are using
⚠️ Last edited by WEB-Tech on UTC; edited 1 time
@dmpawley avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@dmpawley avatar
UTC quote
KABarash wrote:
dmpawley wrote:
Not wanting to get into an argument, but having lived in the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York 'Death Triangle' for 30+ years, I have found quite the opposite, especially since I started riding scooters... (Just my observations)
I'm sorry that's been your experience. It may have been relative. We're used to DC Metro traffic. Maryland is one of the worst places to drive. Then again, maybe they saw our Maryland plates and thought we were notoriously bad drivers and gave us space.
@haole avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa 250 gts / 1964 Vespa VNB / 1961 Lambretta Li150

Molto Verboso
@haole avatar
2007 Vespa 250 gts / 1964 Vespa VNB / 1961 Lambretta Li150
UTC quote
When I lived in SoCal, Mitsubishi Eclipse drivers were the worst. They always seemed to be running late everywhere they go and turn signals is an option they failed to get on the car.
Here in East Phoenix -
The "Snow Birds". Those aged folks from the north and further north.
They spend their winters here driving with their focus on buffets and craft stores rather than the road and two wheeled vehicles.
They will cross two lanes if traffic or even better stop in the middle of traffic to turn from a non turning lane.
They also have to drive slower and while pointing to buildings to discuss with their passengers "What happened - where is - it use to be here - remember back when" conversations.

In my truck or on my bike, when is see a plate from the Dakota's, Michigan, Wisconsin, Canada, etc. My "Spidey Sense" goes off.
@tpring avatar
UTC

Hooked
Fly 150, Stella

Hooked
@tpring avatar
Fly 150, Stella
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
... it's that damn gauge on the dash showing how much power they are using
That is funny!

My father-in-law [retired Boeing engineer] loves that gauge.
⚠️ Last edited by tpring on UTC; edited 1 time
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Haole wrote:
They spend their winters here driving with their focus on buffets and craft stores rather than the road and two wheeled vehicles.
They will cross two lanes if traffic or even better stop in the middle of traffic to turn from a non turning lane.
They also have to drive slower and while pointing to buildings to discuss with their passengers "What happened - where is - it use to be here - remember back when" conversations.
Sounds just like Florida, sure StickyFrog can confirm this
OP
@mreloc avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV 300 i.e.

Hooked
@mreloc avatar
GTV 300 i.e.
UTC quote
[quote="Haole"]When I lived in SoCal, Mitsubishi Eclipse drivers were the worst. They always seemed to be running late everywhere they go and turn signals is an option they failed to get on the car.
Here in East Phoenix -

In my truck or on my bike, when is see a plate from the Dakota's, Michigan, Wisconsin, Canada, etc. My "Spidey Sense" goes off.[/quote

Maybe since the Eclipse is obsolete they've hopped into the Prius? Around here, Prius's are everywhere- almost all taxis included-and the Prius's seem to accelerate the most aggressively. Interesting sociology study...
@kabarash avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kabarash avatar
UTC quote
dmpawley wrote:
KABarash wrote:
dmpawley wrote:
I'm sorry that's been your experience. It may have been relative. We're used to DC Metro traffic. Maryland is one of the worst places to drive. Then again, maybe they saw our Maryland plates and thought we were notoriously bad drivers and gave us space.
I suppose you're right, it's all relative.
I grew up in the New York metro area, Long Island to be specific, yet left there in the late 1970's When I go 'back home' up until recently, I drove a Jeep Wrangler, I sometimes felt I too was given a 'wide berth' as I was sporting Pennsylvania plates.....
Go figure, NY city area drivers are most inconsiderate, impatient & etc most times.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0157s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0041s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]