UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
...speaking of oil additives.

Famous race car driver, and STP founder (another storied oil additive to discuss...Scientifically Treated Petroleum) Andy Granatelli dies at 90.

Another big name hero from my youth, and founder of a still well respected brand name product takes his final victory lap.

RIP Mr. Granatelli.
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Wasn't familiar with the man. But as a kid, if you didn't have an STP sticker on the banana seat of your Schwinn Stingray (with ape hanger handlebars!!!), you were nobody!!!

One typically acquired the sticker by pestering one of the mechanics at the corner gas station when going in to pump up the bike tires and pull an icy cold bottle of Orange Crush out of the soda machine next to the service bay.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
Trep, we must be the same age. Your memories of STP stickers and stingray bikes are exactly the same as mine.

But I do remember Andy Granatelli leading his Indy Car team, and kissing Mario Andretti after winning the Indy 500 many years ago.
@dibber avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300ie Super

Hooked
@dibber avatar
GTS300ie Super
UTC quote
I didn't't know of him either but I sure gave him a lot of free advertising and happy to have done so. RIP.
@kayemtee avatar
UTC

Addicted
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i

Addicted
@kayemtee avatar
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i
UTC quote
[quote="Treppenwitz"]Wasn't familiar with the man. But as a kid, if you didn't have an STP sticker on the banana seat of your Schwinn Stingray (with ape hanger handlebars!!!), you were nobody!!!

Almost fifty years later, I still can't understand why Stingrays were so popular. Fifty bucks for a one speed bike with 20 inch wheels that you'd have to peddle like hell to get over ten miles per hour. At least that's what my engineer father lectured to me when I said I wanted one. (Chapter Three of How I Became A Nerd).

The good thing about not having one is when my friend and I were mugged in Flushing Meadow Park (what NYC officials called the ash heap which remained after the 1964-65 World's Fair) the muggers took my friend's Stingray but left me my trusty 26 inch three speed "English Racer".

Now if someone can only explain to me what exactly STP did when you added it to your car's oil?
@abuello avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@abuello avatar
UTC quote
Yeah, our tribe were STP fans back in the day. We all added it to our engines many times. Fast forward a number of years (30-40), when we moved into our current house in the spring of 98, I found a big STP sticker on the back of one of the bedroom doors. The "kid" must have been a racing fan.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
[quote="Kayemtee"]
Treppenwitz wrote:
Wasn't familiar with the man. But as a kid, if you didn't have an STP sticker on the banana seat of your Schwinn Stingray (with ape hanger handlebars!!!), you were nobody!!!

Now if someone can only explain to me what exactly STP did when you added it to your car's oil?
...or what it did for you when the sticker was plastered on your bicycle. ...besides street cred, I mean.

Never had a sticker, but my best friend had them everywhere it seemed.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Kayemtee wrote:
no 50's kid would be caught dead on his sisters Stingray. They were not a big seller at first and both my sisters had one before the really tricked out versions had my little brother hooked. By 1965 ten speeds and Euro imports, like Raleigh, were appearing on campus. STP was a must in an attempt to keep the wooden plank floor 50's junker running. I could get my brother to do all sorts of goofy shit for a sticker. STP became synonymous with bad acid in some circles.
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
UTC quote
Treppenwitz wrote:

One typically acquired the sticker by pestering one of the mechanics at the corner gas station when going in to pump up the bike tires and pull an icy cold bottle of Orange Crush out of the soda machine next to the service bay.
Omg - this was me exactly. Wanted that sticker - put it on my bedroom window. Had a stingray for a while, but moved quickly to a 10 speed
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0133s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0046s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]