OP
UTC

'14 Piaggio Fly 150

'14 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Going to be purchasing my first scoot here in next 1-2months (Piaggio Fly 150 3V). I was hoping if I could get some opinions on helemts? Thanks!
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
UTC quote
Welcome to MV!!

Helmets are very personal. Everybody has a different style for different reasons. I suggest you go to your local shop and try on as many helmets that interest you and see what fits best on your head and in your wallet.

I use a Nolan N90 modular and love it. I can pop up the chin bar in stop and go traffic or to grab a quick drink and put it back down for higher speed riding.

Good luck and post up some pics of your scoot when it arrives.
OP
UTC

'14 Piaggio Fly 150

'14 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Thank you... are scooter/motorcycle helmets simiar to bicycle helmets. By similarity I mean each one has same safety standards difference is material/ventilation/color/etc?
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300ie, BMW C600 Sport

Hooked
UTC quote
varnson wrote:
Thank you... are scooter/motorcycle helmets simiar to bicycle helmets. By similarity I mean each one has same safety standards difference is material/ventilation/color/etc?
Scooter helmets = motorcycle helmets. You don't want a bicycle helmet.

You'll need to decide on what style helmet you want which will probably be based on the type of riding you are likely going to be doing. If you are going to be riding more than 45mph, I'd highly recommend getting a full face helmet.

I've bought three helmets in the past 6 months. My progression was basically half-helmet, 3/4 helmet with full face shield, and then full face modular helmet.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have jumped straight to the modular helmet. I bought a Nolan N44. Modular helmets offer similar benefits of the other helmets, but the ability to also function as a full face helmet.

Also, don't cheap out on a helmet. Buy the best one you can possibly afford. After all, how much is your head/face worth to you?

Do a TON of research as helmets all fit differently and behave differently when riding (Buffeting, noise, etc). My 3/4 helmet is great at speeds < 50mph and very quiet, but is horrible any faster than that due to buffeting. My modular helmet is perfect with very little buffeting at high speeds, but is extremely noisy even at low speeds.

Good brands to consider are Schuberth, Nolan, Bell, Shark, Nexx, and a few others. Sites like revzilla.com have really good indepth descriptions and reviews.

Good luck.
OP
UTC

'14 Piaggio Fly 150

'14 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
I would never use a bicycle one, even though I had a bike one that saved me during a crash downhill at 46mph. I just wasn't sure if they all are the same grade safety wise, and if the more money you spend is essentially for mroe comfort.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
varnson wrote:
I would never use a bicycle one, even though I had a bike one that saved me during a crash downhill at 46mph. I just wasn't sure if they all are the same grade safety wise, and if the more money you spend is essentially for mroe comfort.
Most motorcycle helmets are minimum DOT, Snell, or ECE rated. However, as you spend more money, some manufacturers claim better protection and comfort. I can vouch for comfort aspect improving as price goes up, but I don't know that anyone can definitely say that more expensive helmets equate to better protection since they all meet minimum standards.

From what I've seen, it really boils down to if you want full face or not. Full face offers the best protection, but is generally not as comfortable. When I'm not riding much faster than 40mph, I don't know that a full face is really necessary (it wouldn't hurt). But much faster than that, I rather lower the odds of a significant injury by ridng with my full face. That is why some like modular helmets as you can change styles on the fly to suit your riding needs.
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
UTC quote
American helmets need to be DOT approved which is a minimum standard all helmets need to meet. I forget what they have in Europe, but it is similar if not better than DOT standards.

Higher priced helmets do give you more/better comfort and some extra features.

Where are you?

EDIT: Edumakated beat me to it!!
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Strick wrote:
Higher priced helmets do MAY give you more/better comfort and some extra features.

@big_boys_mother avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster

Molto Verboso
@big_boys_mother avatar
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
UTC quote
You may want to take a short trip down to Westerville and go to IronPony Motorsports. The selection of helmets, and gear, cannot be beat in mid-central Ohio. This way you can determine what you like best with the largest selection of different styles, sizes, shapes and manufacturers/makes. Good Luck!
OP
UTC

'14 Piaggio Fly 150

'14 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
I live in North East/mid central Ohio. I may drive down to Westerville and take a look... if all else fails it gives me an excuse to spend a weekend with my brother on OSU campus.
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift
UTC quote
varnson wrote:
They all meet one or more standard, but the better ones will exceed them by a greater margin, and that doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive either. You are also paying for improved comfort, styling and features such as a flip down sun visor.

Most importantly, you need one that fits your head, so find a stockist with a lot of choice and pay them a visit.
UTC

Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black (donated)

Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black (donated)
UTC quote
I've owned two Shoei helmets. They fit my head, but jeebus they are expensive. Of course, what value to you put on the brain remaining, relatively, unscrambled? Whatever you will pay for a helmet that fits and protects is a rounding error on the medical bills you will incur with a poorly designed or fitting helmet.
UTC

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
You might want to take a look at Webbikeworld.com and search under "helmets." There is quite a bit of information about helmets in general and many models in particular.
@gee-bee avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 300

Banned
@gee-bee avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
? Size
What size ?

I have a new white Vespa Gran tursimo you can have for a song, its a large
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Route 66 Lawdog wrote:
You might want to take a look at Webbikeworld.com and search under "helmets." There is quite a bit of information about helmets in general and many models in particular.
Good spot, that and http://sharp.direct.gov.uk make for an excellent source of info.
@indy21 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'79 P200E

Hooked
@indy21 avatar
'79 P200E
UTC quote
Just bought my first helmet a couple of days ago (been using a skull bucket hand me down), it will be here Friday.

It's a Bell Custom 500, red metal flake. Snagged it on sale for 50 bucks from J&P cycles, this helmet usually runs around $120 on Amazon but if you time it right you can catch them on sale all the time.

Can't wait to try it out and I think it will look and feel great compared to what I'm used to lately.

Here's a pic I found online:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@bugtussle avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
13 GTS 300ie Super

Enthusiast
@bugtussle avatar
13 GTS 300ie Super
UTC quote
+1 on the Bell 500. I just bought one on sale too. I went for a ride today with the small Bell bubble face shield attached and the ride was pleasantly quiet. I noticed on the Iron Pony website that they have some 500's for as low as $22 in a few sizes. Cant beat that deal.
@neotrotsky avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Vespa GTS 250ie

Hooked
@neotrotsky avatar
2009 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
I like the look and the fiberglass construction of the 500's, but GOD if they don't fit horrible!!! They are made for very round, small heads. My head is very narrow and VERY large (XXXL and sometimes bigger!). It's sad that most of the "retro" designed helmets feel like they're made for the heads of 12 year old girls.

But, helmet shopping for me has always been hell. I have two full face and one 3/4 (Gmax G67) with retractable visor and shields (Sadly, the two full face are made by Bilt... they're one of the few brands that make sizes large enough to fit my head). I've had my eye on a few new ones, but until I can get my hands on some with sizing, it's a 99% bet none of them will fit.
@thewasp avatar
UTC

Hooked
Yes, I am a scooter model

Hooked
@thewasp avatar
Yes, I am a scooter model
UTC quote
Well I am of the school that a "helmet is a helmet" so long as it fits properly and is legitimate DOT, Snell, or ECE 22.05 certified. Usually you will see a combination of at least two of those on some of the better helmets for safety and protection. I don't think Snell or ECE certifies 3/4 or half helmets, however. Nor modular for that matter. So DOT will have to do in most cases outside a full face choice.

The more money you pay the more features a helmet may have as some have already posted. Also comfort, quietness, ventilation, quality of materials, and aesthetic qualities like paint and finish come into play for higher end helmets. Think of it sort of as a car. A Hyundai Sonata might be just as safe and do the same job as a Mercedes S-Class, essentially. Both are cars. But if you want nice and somewhat refined in function and style you will pay more. If willing to pay more? And in some cases, a lot more. Some people want expensive helmets just like they want expensive cars. But you don't need one to get safely from point A-B.

For a first time rider if money is no object, do your thing. But I would still recommend a half helmet for low speed practice and a 3/4 for casual riding. Just based on my experience as when I was a brand new rider I felt closed in wearing a full face helmet having never worn a helmet for any reason outside football when younger. And I did not play much! Crying or Very sad emoticon So wearing a full face helmet while learning how to ride felt confining and wrong. YMMV...

So I moved from a cheapo half helmet to a cheapo 3/4 to a better FF helmet, but still not a Shoei or Nolan as I am not interested in spending $$$ on helmets. And no matter what a helmet cost if it doesn't fit, you must acquit!

ha!

But really proper fit is the most important factor all other things being equal. So I will leave you with that. If going low cost look at Sparx or Bell and other reputable brands with low cost alternatives. You can find good deals on all Sparx helmets at Amazon. If you want to spend more for whatever reason, um, you'll know it when you see it. But whether it will fit properly is another matter

@capitano avatar
UTC

Addicted
ET4 Pre-Leader 125 "Velocipede" '92 Honda C90 Cub '97 Yamaha 600 Diversion

Addicted
@capitano avatar
ET4 Pre-Leader 125 "Velocipede" '92 Honda C90 Cub '97 Yamaha 600 Diversion
UTC quote
My helmet criteria is that it fits comfortably and looks OK. That's about it, essentially.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
I have a 3/4 that I use all of the time. I also have a full face that I never use. The reason is that I wear trifocal glasses with the reading part in the lower third. With the full face helmet I cannot see the dash/GPS. If I tilt my head down I am looking through the distance part of the lenses and the dash is blurry.

(Alas! The price one pays for not dying young.)
@giles avatar
UTC

Hooked
Silver '06 GT200

Hooked
@giles avatar
Silver '06 GT200
UTC quote
I'd recommend a full face helmet. I witnessed a friend crash in a parking lot, basically face first. She had a full face and only received scrapes and bruises.
Try "cycle gear" - they are the only chain I'm aware of that has a helmet 7-day exchange policy. They won't give you a refund, but they will swap for another model / size if your first choice doesn't fit well.
@beverley avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 250 GTSie

Hooked
@beverley avatar
Vespa 250 GTSie
UTC quote
Raputtak wrote:
I have a 3/4 that I use all of the time. I also have a full face that I never use. The reason is that I wear trifocal glasses with the reading part in the lower third. With the full face helmet I cannot see the dash/GPS. If I tilt my head down I am looking through the distance part of the lenses and the dash is blurry.

(Alas! The price one pays for not dying young.)
Hi there, just want to say that if you haven't tried mulitfocal contact lenses yet, you should give them a try. While you will still have a specific minimum distance for reading, switching between longer distances and reading length is seamless. You can get free fittings and samples to try at optical companies (at least in Canada). I can't imagine dealing with my glasses while riding my scooter.
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
go on
new helmet ehhh??? ask copecat
UTC

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa
UTC quote
Today begins my 61st year of everyday riding---I go thru at least 2 helmets a year----in US I have found Arthur Fulmer, work/price right and all day comfortable---sold only in bike shops, no internet
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Key is fit. Nothing worse than a loose helmet. You should try them on first before buying. The size charts aren't really accurate. My Ruby said i'd take a small, i really took a medium. The Scorpion said i took a small and i really needed a xs and maybe a xxs. They didn't make either. So i'm stuck with a S. Good luck
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
I agree with TheWasp. Helmet use is subject to opinion. From 1978 to 1989 I logged 120,000+ motorcycle miles. I was young and crazy like most. When I wore a helmet, I did things I wouldn't do when I wasn't wearing one.
The most important thing IMHO is, defensive driving is more important than defensive crashing!
I use a half helmet and I bought a modular full face for colder weather. Because of restricted vision, I've had 2 close calls that wouldn't have been if I was wearing the half one. I like the modular helmet because I can lift it up when I'm stopped. But I'm still getting used to the limited vision.
Try not exceeding your limits and have fun with your 150. I'm never going back to motorcycles
@peckish_cyclist avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2013 LX 150

Enthusiast
@peckish_cyclist avatar
2013 LX 150
UTC quote
My two cents: if you're able to try some helmets on, be sure to wear each one for at least several minutes. You might have to brave strange looks from others as you sit around reading a magazine in a helmet, but it's amazing how different each one feels after you're been wearing it for a while--some "settle in" and some become impossibly annoying.
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
White GTS125 - Milo - 2009-2012 Red GTS Super 300 - Watson - 2012 - 2014. Silver Vespa GTS 250 - Carter - 2014

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
White GTS125 - Milo - 2009-2012 Red GTS Super 300 - Watson - 2012 - 2014. Silver Vespa GTS 250 - Carter - 2014
UTC quote
Hiya
As Bitza said - ask cop-e-cat
- she suffered dreadful injuries wearing an open face helmet in an accident in August
Face now held together with 4 titanium plates
I now am a firm believer of protecting your chin and jaw as best you can when riding
Comfort and safety, not trendiness should be your priority
Try before you buy
Best of luck and welcome
Kitty
X
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
The lecturing pushes me to the truth. I bought myself new head gear for Christmas. I no longer ride at high speeds and just putt around town. I chose to take the risk at 20-30 MPH. 47 Brand 100% cotton. All washable and do just fine in the dryer. I already had 5 that have been washed and dried at least a dozen times. They stay on behind a medium windscreen with the bill forward and match my daily outfit change. 4 are exact matches for my flip flops. Razz emoticon

Buy what you'll wear if you live in a state without helmet laws. The fact remains that in a state without mandatory laws the overwhelming majority will ride sans helmet. But most won't be foolish enough to be honest about it here.

BTW I do wear an open face and a Davida, and own a FF and modular. Lower Lumpa traffic is nothing like that of London or LA. Not even close on the busiest day.
@mikeyl avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"

Molto Verboso
@mikeyl avatar
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"
UTC quote
As others have mentioned, your helmet needs to fit well to give you maximum protection. Too loose and it may come off in a crash or you may sustain head injuries. Too tight and it will be so uncomfortable you won't wear it.

Some helmets have a break in period where they loosen up a bit and will feel more comfortable. I started out with a half helmet and I still use it when it's unbearably hot and I'm puttering around town at lower speeds. I had a job that required mostly highway commuting and bought a Schuberth C3 modular helmet.

When I stopped in my local MC shop, I had no intention of buying it, but they had samples to use for a test ride, so I gave it a go. After thirty minutes of riding highway and local roads, I was sold. It is so quiet and well ventilated that the cost wasn't an issue for me. I had bought a motorcycle there a few years ago, so I was also eligible for a 10% discount.

I'm a big believer in supporting my local MC shops. If you go helmet shopping and take a salespersons time to get fitted, it's not very fair to then go buy it elsewhere. If we all shop online, they won't survive. If I can't find what I need there, then I go online to buy.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
MikeyL wrote:
As others have mentioned, your helmet needs to fit well to give you maximum protection. Too loose and it may come off in a crash or you may sustain head injuries. Too tight and it will be so uncomfortable you won't wear it.

Some helmets have a break in period where they loosen up a bit and will feel more comfortable. I started out with a half helmet and I still use it when it's unbearably hot and I'm puttering around town at lower speeds. I had a job that required mostly highway commuting and bought a Schuberth C3 modular helmet.

When I stopped in my local MC shop, I had no intention of buying it, but they had samples to use for a test ride, so I gave it a go. After thirty minutes of riding highway and local roads, I was sold. It is so quiet and well ventilated that the cost wasn't an issue for me. I had bought a motorcycle there a few years ago, so I was also eligible for a 10% discount.

I'm a big believer in supporting my local MC shops. If you go helmet shopping and take a salespersons time to get fitted, it's not very fair to then go buy it elsewhere. If we all shop online, they won't survive. If I can't find what I need there, then I go online to buy.
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
Nothing on a motorcycle is more personal and more important than a helmet. As such, it's really a personal choice. People will get into religious arguments about full face vs. open, over brands, styles and other aspects. Really, just go out, try a bunch on and see what fits both your head and your budget. As long as it is certified and a quality product, you will be fine.
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
UTC quote
There's a difference between advising and lecturing
You're grown up enough to ride, then you're grown up to make your own decisions
All I will say is try to keep your face and head as pretty or handsome as you can
Kitty
X
@copecat avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX125 Touring

Hooked
@copecat avatar
LX125 Touring
UTC quote
Hiya I was new to riding wanted all the gear tried different lids on didn't really like the full face opted for an open face. Unfortunately I did have an accident in August and badly broke the whole left side of my face and jaw lost some teeth. Only just going back to work. I know it's a personal decision but I will never even get on a bike again with a full face.
@mutt_the_hoople avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Buddy Pamplona 50cc, Vespa GTV 250ie

Molto Verboso
@mutt_the_hoople avatar
Buddy Pamplona 50cc, Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
I had two minor, slow speed accidents within less than two months. Both times I face planted. Both times my face was lucky... First with a 3/4... Hit the top of the visor, second with a F/F, his square in the middle. Both times was face was okay, first time I was lucky I didn't hit my fave lower in the helmet, and the second time because I was wearing a full face helmet. I walked away with a few bruises and road rash on my elbow the first time, broke my arm in three places the second time. Not much I could hasve done about the arm... I was wearing an armored jacket, heavy jeans, boots, gloves, and helmet. I'm supposed to get out of my cast a week from Friday. For me, I will never wear a 3/4 helmet again and stick to full faced varieties. I always wore a FF if I was riding on a highway, and often wore a 3/4 on shirt trips flies to home. Both accidents happened very close to home, right in line with the statistics of most accidents.

You have yo make your own decisions, but read ther various posters comments and consider the possibilities. Just take care and be careful as you can. And gave fun.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)
UTC quote
Proper fit is key to comfort and performance of the helmet in the event of an accident. Different manufacturers will fit different shaped heads, so it's important to try helmets from several manufacturers. Sizing may also vary slightly as well.

Webbikeworld and revzilla are 2 sites that can help you with some research prior to purchase.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
CopECat wrote:
I know it's a personal decision but I will never even get on a bike again with a full face.
If that pun was intended, way to shake it off and get back on the horse Clap emoticon
@jagony avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 MP3 400

Hooked
@jagony avatar
2008 MP3 400
UTC quote
Iron Pony
If you are close to Iron Pony I suggest you check there. They have what must be hundreds in all shapes and sizes.
To find the one you like, try on different sizes and types. They always have something on close out you can get cheap.
If you spend over $150.00 they throw in a free t-shirt.
They also now carry Vespa and Piaggio scooters.
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
UTC quote
Did you mean without a full face Nic?
You big plum
X
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0251s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0079s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]