@vespizzare avatar
UTC

Addicted
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt

Addicted
@vespizzare avatar
UTC quote
It's sooo satisfying when you have a vision and it comes into being as good or better than you'd hoped. In my case (no pun intended), I've wanted a good top case for a long time, not so much for carrying stuff as for having a place to lock my jacket and shoes should I need something(s) more appropriate at my destination.

The old conundrum: which one? I don't care for the Vespa or Givi and similar top cases at all. Visually, they always remind me of the pimple on the nose of the witch in Snow White." The teardrop shape might be more aerodynamic but I still don't want one on my scoot. Besides that, they aren't big enough.

My neighbor is an MSF instructor and she has a big BMW with a BMW top case. I didn't even know that such things existed until I saw her's. I went to some motorcycle touring boards to research the subject and found this box and universal mounting hardware to be better (and bigger).

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3324/PN-050-0662/Zega-Pro-Topcase-Anodized-Silver-38L

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1804/PN-053-0050/Topcase-Bracket-Universal

A special shout out to David, aka SDG, who is my guru and straw boss on all things Vespa. I didn't want to lay out a lot of money unless I was sure it would work and I needed some expert help mounting it too. David said, "No problema," and that's what's exactly how it worked out.

The scoot handles and steers the same except it has a little higher center of gravity that you have to account for in your lean. It's a little like the sensation of riding a bicycle. The only other concerns I have to contend with are the "sail effect, which is very minor, and I also have to be careful pushing it around because it'll tip over slightly more easily. Bottom line: Not a smidge of buyer's remorse.

One last thing. I went to the market and it seemed like every guy and some ladies had to check it out. It makes you feel rich, talented, popular, and good-looking.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by Vespizzare on UTC; edited 10 times
@honeybadger avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 (2) MotoGuzzi California 1400

Molto Verboso
@honeybadger avatar
UTC quote
Hey! That's pretty awesome! Could you show your mounting hardware? Kudos!

If I had one like that, I'd probably paint "Organ delivery" on it... people wouldn't tailgate me....
Razz emoticon

Steve..H/B
OP
@vespizzare avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@vespizzare avatar
UTC quote
HoneyBadger wrote:
Could you show your mounting hardware? K

You speak, I obey.
@honeybadger avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@honeybadger avatar
UTC quote
Nice! It looks like well made equipment. Enjoy that!

S
OP
@vespizzare avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@vespizzare avatar
UTC quote
HoneyBadger wrote:
Nice! It looks like well made equipment. Enjoy that!

S
It's been my experience that usually you get what you pay for. Back when I was a kid and a million dollars was an unreal amount, my father used to say, "I'm not a millionaire I just live like one." I'm the same way, I guess. If I can afford it, I want the best of everything: Vespa scooter, Ruby helmet, Johnson Leathers jacket, etc. I'm not rich, but you only live once.
@dobroman avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@dobroman avatar
2012 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Hmm; cool; what a great idea for scooter tailgating.
@ducatiss avatar
UTC

Addicted
1979 P200E, 2006 Piaggio Fly 150, 2010 GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@ducatiss avatar
1979 P200E, 2006 Piaggio Fly 150, 2010 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
HoneyBadger wrote:
Hey! That's pretty awesome! Could you show your mounting hardware? Kudos!

If I had one like that, I'd probably paint "Organ delivery" on it... people wouldn't tailgate me....
Razz emoticon

Steve..H/B
I like the idea, but to keep them away...
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Very nice VESP.. 8) I bet you could use it as a cooler as well. How's the Ruby? So glad i didn't have my Ruby on when i had my accident. Wha? emoticon Would of been an expensive fix. Have fun with your new case.
UTC

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
Good looking install. those TT cases are nice. When do you expect the liner to arrive?
@nizzasty avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2013 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@nizzasty avatar
2013 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
This is probably a ridiculous question, but I was struggling a little in seeing the obvious: can you fit your helmet in there?
OP
@vespizzare avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@vespizzare avatar
UTC quote
Route 66 Lawdog wrote:
Good looking install. those TT cases are nice. When do you expect the liner to arrive?
Glad to know you're still alive. It's supposed to come Thursday. Speaking about the install: At first I felt a little hinky about just using my fold-down rack but now I'm really glad I did. You can see in the picture how the bottom of the rack extends beyond the box on the side. Maybe it's just me, but I feel better seeing the box AND the rack too. Otherwise the box is sorta floating on air behind the bike and I think it looks creepy.

P.S. My terribly good friend Lawdog is referring to an liner I got to go with it. I was thinking about how the new box would work out for shopping when I had a moment of clarity. In Santa Monica and now Los Angeles, stores no longer use plastic bags. You're encouraged to bring your own reusable bag or they charge you ten cents for something for a bio-degradable one. I suddenly realized that henceforth I'll just have the clerk put my stuff into the liner and I'm literally good to go with no muss, fuss or bother.
⚠️ Last edited by Vespizzare on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@vespizzare avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@vespizzare avatar
UTC quote
nizzasty wrote:
This is probably a ridiculous question, but I was struggling a little in seeing the obvious: can you fit your helmet in there?
You're right, but I'm not Mr. Perfect-Perfect either. I don't know if I can help you. My biggest helmet is a Ruby Pavilion 3/4 which already fit in the pet carrier. (I don't ride a motorbike because I don't like the wind in my face.)

The dimensions are 12.4 x 15.75 x 12 if that's any help. The guy on the phone when I bought it volunteered that I could put my helmet inside. I assume he was referring to a large helmet. I posted the link, give them a call.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0164s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0067s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]