OP
UTC

Enthusiast
'76 Sprint V

Enthusiast
'76 Sprint V
UTC quote
So...I've been a competitive cyclist for well over 20 years, a Vespa lover for about 13, and finally a owner of a vintage Vespa for a few weeks....and for the last 20+ years every time I reused a cable inner after shortening it, either for cycling, quad bikes or now my Vespa, I started cursing at it for unravelling at the end. I could never get that nice fused tip that it come with....until today!

I took my inverter (welding machine), stripped the the flux of a stick welding electrode to end up with only a bare electrode. I earthed the cable with the earth clamp and touched the end of the cable with the electrode, as if to weld.....and voila! A beautiful fused cut cable

Now, some of you probably knew this but never shared it with us Crying or Very sad emoticon

Use it, don't use it.
@trumpyscooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Black 2007 PX200, Dark green 1986 PX225 Pinasco, "1972"(yeah rite) Tangerine px200, several TRIUMPH TIGRESS SCOOTERS

Molto Verboso
@trumpyscooter avatar
Black 2007 PX200, Dark green 1986 PX225 Pinasco, "1972"(yeah rite) Tangerine px200, several TRIUMPH TIGRESS SCOOTERS
UTC quote
You bloody show off well done, i reckon thats almost a new one

Spot us a pic then.

I just heat them with a soldering iron and drop a blob on it, but its gotta be clean
UTC

Molto Verboso
px200

Molto Verboso
px200
UTC quote
Hello

Some if the cables i buy have blue ends now I know why, the way we used to do it was to dip the ends in solder or latterly epoxy resin.

Regards

Grumpy
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
UTC quote
I have had OK success with epoxy.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
'76 Sprint V

Enthusiast
'76 Sprint V
UTC quote
I have tried soldering it before, but it becomes brittle when pulling with pliers on it.

Never thought of using epoxy....gonna try that as well
UTC

Addicted
1961 vbb and 1981 p125x

Addicted
1961 vbb and 1981 p125x
UTC quote
This would be a good one for the tips and tricks thread. I never thought of doing it this way. I've always dipped in hot solder. On newer coated cables or old dirty cables I sonetimes put a heat shrink on them and then use a cold chisel to cut.
@jsunstar avatar
UTC

Addicted
07 GT200, Flip flops

Addicted
@jsunstar avatar
07 GT200, Flip flops
UTC quote
i use these...
they come in pretty colors too.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
I like the OP's high tech approach, but I just put a little solder on the end, not clumpy, nice and fine, then since I don't use the ashtray I heat shrink the cables so they're all sealed in juicy lookin'
Just snip it off if I ever need to.
@spiderwebb avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@spiderwebb avatar
UTC quote
tinning them in solder for me
works and is cheap
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
Emergency cable end repair
Ever been stuck somewhere with only a cable inner that's just long enough but has a ragged end? If you cut it back to where it's good before you solder it, it'll be too short. But you need the end tidy so you can thread it thru the adjuster & pinch bolt. Crying or Very sad emoticon This came up AGAIN recently and costs nothing more than a LOT of time but usually works.

Try this, it should get you going - round up the end strands the best you can, winding them the right way and WRAP around with a single strand of copper wire pulled from a hunk of multistrand, following your progress towards the end. You may need to straighten some individual steel strands so it fits right.

Now tie the copper winding tight & solder it and the steel cable inside. Hopefully you cleaned the steel cable and are using soldering flux. When it looks good, fully saturated and solder is still molten give it a quick rap to knock off as much extra solder as you can. That's because you now need to 'peel' off the copper wire by unwinding then file or sand smooth so you can now assemble. Use a file to get started if you can't find an end or the copper wire breaks.

You can do the same thing to create a throttle cable end, just leave the copper winding in place.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
Glue filled heat shrink, or a dab of superglue
@pdxjim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 PX150 In a Part-time Relationship with a 2-Stroke Vespa Since 2007

Molto Verboso
@pdxjim avatar
2005 PX150 In a Part-time Relationship with a 2-Stroke Vespa Since 2007
UTC quote
^^^ That selector box looks too clean.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0091s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0021s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]