OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
My MP3 400 has a lot of throttle slop and I've searched here but couldn't find anything specific on help in that area.

There are two cables and I'm sure it's the "pull" (top cable) but not sure how to adjust. Is it required to take the light metal gray shield (with cut off switch, starter button) off to adjust the throttle?

Thanks
@alexb avatar
UTC

Addicted
2008 MP3-500

Addicted
@alexb avatar
2008 MP3-500
UTC quote
If it's like the 500, then I believe that you can adjust the slack a the lower end of the cable, where it meets the throttle body.
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
Re: Throttle Slop
flavioguy wrote:
My MP3 400 has a lot of throttle slop and I've searched here but couldn't find anything specific on help in that area.

There are two cables and I'm sure it's the "pull" (top cable) but not sure how to adjust. Is it required to take the light metal gray shield (with cut off switch, starter button) off to adjust the throttle?

Thanks
No. The adjusters are under rubber covers in line with the cables at the twistgrip end. I can't recall whether you need to remove the top handlebar cover to get at them but I think you just slide back the rubber sleeves. You do need to leave enough play to allow the throttle to snap against the stop, even on full lock.

Regards Roadster
@ramblerdan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400

Ossessionato
@ramblerdan avatar
2009 MP3 400
UTC quote
Aren't these adjusters?

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

(400 service manual, page ENG VE-4)
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
ramblerdan wrote:
Aren't these adjusters?

(400 service manual, page ENG VE-4)
Yes so they are. Maybe my memory is playing tricks but I just don't remember them being there on my early model mp3 when I changed the cable.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Ramblerdan.....that looks right. Thanks

I checked my workshop manual PDF and found the same pic. Now....how to find that spot on the scoot and get to it. Looks like it's near the air filter but hard to tell from the pic. Do you know how to access these adjusters?
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
flavioguy wrote:
Ramblerdan.....that looks right. Thanks

I checked my workshop manual PDF and found the same pic. Now....how to find that spot on the scoot and get to it. Looks like it's near the air filter but hard to tell from the pic. Do you know how to access these adjusters?
under the seat there is a access panel to the top of the throttle body. open this panel and you should be able to see the cable.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Thanks all.

Actually the adjusters are reachable from the Left (belt) side of the bike in front of the air filter. Found the problem was the lock nut was loose. Used the adjuster, tightened down the lock nut....done!
@jfolander avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 mp3 500 sport

Hooked
@jfolander avatar
2016 mp3 500 sport
UTC quote
I just went out to the garage and took out all excess play in the cable. It was a 2 minute job, no tools needed. I didn't expect anything to be that easy on an mp3 You did the hard part finding that adjuster for us and I thank you for it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0644s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0354s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]