OP
UTC

Hooked
2003 ET4 150/PX 150 Serie America #232/1974 Rally 200

Hooked
UTC quote
Hey people what do you use to fix a tire if you're far away from home or any shop and you get a flat,some people tell me that the fix-a-flat is not good to the rim/wheel,etc;and others tell me that plugs are not to good either,i know that the best thing is to replace the tire but i'm looking for a carry on to get back home safe solution.

Thanks!
CUCO

P.S.My ride is an ET-4!
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Re: What to use when...
CUCO wrote:
i'm looking for a carry on to get back home safe solution.

Thanks!
CUCO

P.S.My ride is an ET-4!
Cellphone?

Seriously, with only two wheels, do you want to risk riding on an iffy tire? Most fix-a-flat stuff requires you to fill the tire with the goop, fill it with air and then immediately put the tire to use to spread the goop around the tire evenly. If your puncture is anywhere but the very center of the tread, you'll not get the goop to cover the hole, due to centrifugal forces.
@spock avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2002 ET4 & 1980 100 Sport

Ossessionato
@spock avatar
UTC quote
I agree. Use a cell phone. Plugs have never worked for me and the slime stuff is useless.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
I've used plugs on motorcycle tires with success, and rode on them for 5,000 miles or until the tire tread wore out. Each repair is unique. One needs to evaluate the damage to the tire, the type of riding, and the quality of the repair, to assess its drivability.

Caveats aside, I carry a CO2 tire inflator, CO2 cartridges, a few plugs, glue, and a plug tool.
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
In California you'd be hard pressed to find a tire company or a dealer who will plug a motorcycle tire. It's also not a good practice.

When you're on 4 wheels, if one fails it's usually not life threatening. Since the prospect of having a blowout on 2 wheels isn't attractive to me, I'd rather be safe and just replace the tire.

It's true that chances are that the repair would work, but it's just that... a chance.
@xman avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@xman avatar
gt200
UTC quote
Hmm...so it seem that there is no really good way to fix a flat temporarily if you stuck...let say in the desert?

Now I realize that a 40-80 mph scooter is different than a bicycle, but I heard of people using wood, leaf, tied inner tube or what ever it take to get home/shop.

I don't really think you can count on a cell phone to always get you out of these situations. I would rather ride at 5-10 mph for 30 miles...than push my bike half that far.

Therefore I would suggest taking anything that could help with you (taking in space constrains into consideration).

Although I tend to be a pack rat with tools...hehe

X
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
Oh, if you were stuck in a remote location, you could carry one of those cans of flat fixer and roll into town at a reduced speed. I agree that would be preferable to pushing your scooter for miles.

I was responding to using a repaired tire as a more permanent solution.
@xman avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@xman avatar
gt200
UTC quote
Len Smith wrote:
Oh, if you were stuck in a remote location, you could carry one of those cans of flat fixer and roll into town at a reduced speed. I agree that would be preferable to pushing your scooter for miles.

I was responding to using a repaired tire as a more permanent solution.
I absolutely agree with ya as far as keeping a temp fix on long term. That's a no no. Perhaps, I read his question wrong... I thought he was looking for a quick fix for semi-remote locations.

X
@spock avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@spock avatar
UTC quote
Okay, I carry those CO2 tire inflater too. $10 bucks!!!! I don't know how I went without it. Tire pressure gauge is good too.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Hey people!
thanks for all of your replys,anyways what i'm looking for is a temporary way of fixing the tire just to get back safe,most of the times i hear people say that because of the temperature factor those fix-a-flat cans can be dangerous on moto tyres,i always carry with small airpump but haven't found anything(and i have seen many plug kits) to fix the tire and keep on rolling that convince me enough,any other sugestions are very welcome.

Cheers!
CUCO
@jepone avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 GT200L

Hooked
@jepone avatar
2005 GT200L
UTC quote
i found this, that may indeed be of some help.

i think i might invest in one of these, you never know..

Also here is some other web info-
http://motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/flatz/
@xman avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@xman avatar
gt200
UTC quote
jepone wrote:

Also here is some other web info-
http://motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/flatz/
Thank for that find Jepone, the only thing I envy sometime about some of the other older scoot is there ability to fix there flats. Granted tubeless probably get a lot let flats, but something like this at least give you a chance.

X
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote

That's what i'm talking about,thanks a lot jepone!

Cheers!
CUCO
UTC

Enthusiast
1978 Vespa P-200

Enthusiast
1978 Vespa P-200
UTC quote
JNV
I have a spare on Vespa P-200, which has come in handy. When I was a motorcycle rider I would carry different size screws (diameter not length) and spare rubber pieces: 1st) put a small piece of rubber through the screw as if it were a washer, 2nd) apply some rubber cement / glue (like the kind used for regular plugs), 3rd) screw it in the hole. It is still not a permenant fix and I always replaced the tire as soon as possible, but (in my experience) it can take a bit more abuse than reguilar plugs. Then again I was always lucky in the sense that I always got punctures at the bottom of the tread, so the screws never hit pavement.
I always replaced the tire as soon as possible because I would rather spend the money and have a brand new tire than to have one fail doing 50+mph.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Thanks JNV!
I'll keep that one in mind too.

Cheers!
CUCO
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0814s ][ Queries: 18 (0.0545s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]