Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:21 pm

Banned

Banned

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:21 pm linkquote
Hey all,

Here's a few pics of my 'minor' restoration of my gal's little ET4

It's a 96 pre-leader - and when we bought it, was in a pretty sorry state, the side panels had been really roughly sprayed, in an unmatched green (obvious) over the scratches, and pretty much every single bit was damaged, scratched etc.

Then to make it worse, it developed a really REALLY nasty oil leak, so everything had become coated in muck, corroded etc etc.

Also the scorpion exhaust was LOUD as hell - I suspected there wasn't much in the way of packing left - perhaps the internals are also collapsed etc.

Probably even worse, top speed was about 50mph by the speedo... HMM i though - surely they arent supposed to be this slow...

So, I visited the local dealer, and got a truly horrific estimate for a total refurb - lets just say I'd have been much better off buying a new scoot and dumping this old girl based on his quote.

SO - i started reading everything I could find.

Seemed a bit of a rebuild, replacement of belts / variator / rollers / clutch and all the usual consumables wasn't going to break the bank - likewise a little paint and elbow grease wouldn't hurt too much either...

So here's what it looked like before we started... UGLY!!!

Here you can see the condition of the 'mechanical bits' - yuk.

As you can see - it was scratched and dented in all the usual places...

So first - the engine came out...

Then I started - cleaning, and polishing - and painting the engine... (it's much better to take apart a clean engine)

The exhaust pipe sounded like it was full of gravel... not good... so - we decided to try to repack it...

As my young friend Hannah wanted to help on her scoot, - i set her to work on the exhaust - first drilling out the rivets.

Once these were out - it took A LOT of banging and cursing, to get precisely no-where on disassembling the muffler.

Did I mention we only had 'basic tools' available?

So I had an idea.... seemed that the scorpion was way bigger than necessary anyway - so i decided to 'shorten' it a little... so to work with the drill and dremmel tool.

after 30 or so mins, the exhaust was in parts

This is what was left inside... mmmm crunchy.....

So we re-wrapped the core with new steel wool - and reassembled... (obviously the reverse of disassembly *including much cursing*)

Now back to the engine... time for new variator, rollers, belt etc...

and a bit more polishing, painting etc

mmmmm - shiny... and late at night....

Now onto the back wheel - which was scabby, rusty, scratched and generally looking a bit rubbish compared to the shiny engine.

hmmm - should have masked it all up i suppose... but the wire brush took the paint of the sidewalls in a few mins... - and a new tire is going on next week anyway.

Now back to the scoot - and some body work....
first start sanding / filling etc...

end of the day, and it's all starting to feel nice and smooth, even if it looks a bit ugly at this point....

next - primer!!

mmm - after flatting it all back with some fine wet'n'dry... it's time for the rattlecans of color!! yay!

'side panel' first coat looked quite promising! and like magic it started changing before our eyes - so satisfying!

And here's the results... next have to wait for a few replacement plastic pieces to finish the job... (as you can see - the bottom tray is all broken round the sides... but a replacement is a better move than trying to repair it i think)

before anyone has a dig... I AM A COMPLETE AMATEUR!!! never resprayed anything before - and this is all done with rattlecans.... but in real life - it really does look pretty nice!

and how does it ride? BEAUTIFULLY!!! top speed (by the speedo = 75mph! and improvement of over 20mph)

Total spend = 180

roughly 140 on mechanics and 40 on paint / cosmetics...

not a bad result for the I think?
Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:34 pm

Hooked
Primavera ET3

Hooked
Primavera ET3
Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:34 pm linkquote
Great job!!! I love projects like these where you take a perfectly usable bike and just clean it up a bit - you did an excellent job and it looks like a different bike!

I'd love to get a hold of an ET4 in this condition and do a mini-restoration.

Thanks for posting more pics, etc.

Cheers,
Robert
Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:36 pm

Hooked
PX 125...got me a scoot finally!!

Hooked
PX 125...got me a scoot finally!!
Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:36 pm linkquote
good work indeed!
Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:42 pm

Addicted

Addicted
Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:42 pm linkquote
I hope you have not run that pipe with steel wool in it! it will burn up really fast and sparks will fly out the end.
Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:05 am

Banned

Banned

Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:05 am linkquote
Steel Wool
Nyle wrote:
I hope you have not run that pipe with steel wool in it! it will burn up really fast and sparks will fly out the end.
Ummm I don't wanna sound like a 'know it all' but - that's EXACTLY what Scorpion silencers - along with MOST aftermarket freeflow silencers are packed with by the manufacturers?!?

Don't believe me? http://www.twobros.com/Exhaust/index.htm or simply google - 'muffler repack'

I grew up with 2 stroke motorcrossers, and repacking the silencer used to be part of regular maintenence... Over the years, I've experimented with a variety of 'repacking' options including.

(stainless) Steel wool
Dedicated 'fibre' repacking kits
Fiberglass matting
Fibreglass bases insulation matierial (insulating batts as they are known)
Metal 'shavings' from an lathe shop (similar to steel wool)

I can say, steel wool works just as well as any of these - although a combination of steel wool wrapped around the core, and fibreglass matting on the outer layer is perhaps the optimum, subjective this only the ears, and seat of the pants dyno to base it on.

Contrary to the comment - it DEFINITELY DOES NOT 'spark' or 'burn up quickly' < though this is all a relative statement - as any exhaust of this type must be repacked regularly to perform at it's best, so I fully expect a repack to be a good idea in about 12 months.

For the record - the difference in sound from the muffler is nothing short of amazing, the stainless steel wool cost 2 - and the job of disassembly, cleaning, repacking took about an hour.
Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:10 am

LX 4t

LX 4t
Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:10 am linkquote
you did a great job. Lots of respect!
[/quote]
Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:18 am

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 250ie, and a GO-PED hehe!

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 250ie, and a GO-PED hehe!
Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:18 am linkquote
if you dont mind me asking, how much was the scoot? i want to do a modernvespa resto myself.
Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:32 am

Molto Verboso
Black GTS 250

Molto Verboso
Black GTS 250
Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:32 am linkquote
Your results are really impressive. Ten years down the line I may be doing the same to my GTS - if the Aprilia Mana bug hasn't got the better of me before then!
Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:00 pm

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV 250

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV 250
Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:00 pm linkquote

WOW! Nice job! With only 'basic' tools and a little research you took a pig and made it look awesome! Well done!

Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:35 pm

Hooked
VESPA ( ET & GT)

Hooked
VESPA ( ET & GT)
Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:35 pm linkquote
It is very good that your old ET4 is rebuilted

Very nice....
Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:01 am

Addicted
GTS, PX125E, P200

Addicted
GTS, PX125E, P200
Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:01 am linkquote
Very impressive. I don't have the patients for that. I would have chucked the whole project after about the 10th swear word.
Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:26 am

Banned

Banned

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:26 am linkquote
suit scoot wrote:
if you dont mind me asking, how much was the scoot? i want to do a modernvespa resto myself.
Peanuts... 300 (about $600 I think)
+ 180 on parts and paint...

Now for a grand total of 480

It looks nearly 'like new'

It runs absolutely beautifully and I've replaced:
Belt
Variator
Rollers
Oil filter
Plug

While it was in bits other stuff (more or less free) was done
Scuffed up the pads (which were well within limits) / cleaned / serviced the brakes (oh and clutch)
New brake fluid
Oiled all cables
Thoroughly cleaned out the fuel system / carb etc
Generally tightened, adjusted, cleaned the whole bike from top to bottom

I'm not sure if it's because of the Scorpion pipe, or just a 'good' engine... but yesterday I got the opportunity to have a bit of a drag race with someone on a 2006 LX 125...

It really shocked me but the old ET absolutely KICKED the LX's ass!
And -- when I say kicked it's ass - I mean REALLY kicked it's ass... Over 50m I was probably already 5 bike lenghts clear - by 400 yards later - I'd left the LX for dead and was just disappearing into the distance.

Out of curiousity - we swapped scoots (to remove my disbelief that the other 'girl' was riding like a ermmm girl...

And then I had to endure her kicking my ass on 'my' scoot. Pretty much the same result - the LX is so slow in comparison.

I asked the dealer - and he did say that the 'pre-leader' engines have a bit more punch, but how much actually shocked me.

Anyway - all in all - a couple of weeks after the restoration, I'm really very very happy with how it's turned out - and it's been nice that a couple of people have commented about how good the old girl looks (number plates in the UK betray her advancing 11 years)

less than 500 - it's absolutely BRILLIANT

I'm almost a scooter convert - though still as soon as my insurance money arrives for my stolen motorbike - I think the lure of a hundred extra horspower will prove too much.... And I'll be back onto a real bike again....

mmm - looking forward to looking down my nose at you lot at the traffic lights again (already)

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR POSITIVE COMMENTS
Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:43 pm

Hooked
ET4

Hooked
ET4
Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:43 pm linkquote
what kind of paint did you use?

looks great by they way!
Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:31 pm

Vespa ET4 125

Vespa ET4 125
Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:31 pm linkquote
Good job , i have in garage too ET4. Will be new paint, and must engine clean. What exhaust you have? Look good.
Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:54 pm

Hooked
NONE (At this moment)

Hooked
NONE (At this moment)
Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:54 pm linkquote
My hat is off to you. Feliz Navidad

VESPARICAN 8)
Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:06 am

Lurker
Champagne 1997 Et4

Lurker
Champagne 1997 Et4

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:06 am linkquote
Hey, what do you think the main problem was with the top speed? Cos i've recently got a '97 et4 and she can only get up to about 45 before she starts choking! im sure that aint right... x
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  

All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa
[ Time: 0.0943s ][ Queries: 39 (0.0625s) ][ Debug on ][ 156 ][ Thing Two ]