OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300ie, BMW C600 Sport

Hooked
UTC quote
So I have been looking for a mesh jacket for hot weather riding. The one thing that frustrates me is that I have a hard time finding a jacket that seems to fit me properly. In particular, the placement of the shoulder armor. Seems most of the jackets have these flimsy pockets to hold the armor and it won't stay put.

It always seems like the shoulder armor falls down to the side of my shoulder and basically rests on the upper arm or back of arm instead of actually resting on the ball of the shoulder where some of the armor covers the top of the shoulder and some of the armor covers the arm.

I have a Alpinestars Verona that I love for cold weather riding and it fits me perfectly. The armor stays in place and seems to give proper coverage. However, They don't seem to make a mesh jacket in a style I like.

Is this a common problem? Do any of you have your jackets tailored?
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 150 (F-. Ball of Sunshine), Buddy 170i

Hooked
UTC quote
I haven't had that problem with my Corazzo 5.0, but I buy to fit my shoulders, not my hips. When I tried on a XXL by Corazzo, it fit my hips better but the armor flopped all over the place and the top was baggy.

How baggy is your coat around the shoulder/chest area?
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
rdk wrote:
I haven't had that problem with my Corazzo 5.0, but I buy to fit my shoulders, not my hips. When I tried on a XXL by Corazzo, it fit my hips better but the armor flopped all over the place and the top was baggy.

How baggy is your coat around the shoulder/chest area?
Not very baggy. I can't get any smaller without it not fitting my arms or the jacket looking like I have on a tank top.

The jacket I'm trying to decide to keep is a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0. The way the arm is fitting on me, it probably wouldn't help me much if I hit top of shoulder first. Maybe if I hit side of shoulder, it would be ok, but I always assumed the armor covered both top and side of shoulder. That is the way it fits with my Alpinestars. The armor in that jacket is very similar to the Joe Rocket one so it seems to be a fit issue.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
One reviewer on Revzilla said that they found the shoulder armor super floaty too.

DIY you could put velcro on the armor and inside of the armor pocket to keep it where it should be. ( I'd probably start there because I'm cheap =) )

I'd see if a tailor in your area that's used to working on motorcycle gear (or at least that type of material) can sew a little around the armor to keep it in place. ( But, if it's supposed to be removable, that eliminates the removable feature... )
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
rdk wrote:
One reviewer on Revzilla said that they found the shoulder armor super floaty too.

DIY you could put velcro on the armor and inside of the armor pocket to keep it where it should be. ( I'd probably start there because I'm cheap =) )

I'd see if a tailor in your area that's used to working on motorcycle gear (or at least that type of material) can sew a little around the armor to keep it in place. ( But, if it's supposed to be removable, that eliminates the removable feature... )
Yeah, I may see if I can jerry rig some velcro in the pocket to keep the armor in one spot. Otherwise, the jacket fits me fine. Seems like it would flow a lot of air which is what I was looking for.
UTC

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
You might consider a mesh pressure suit.
@honeybadger avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 (2) MotoGuzzi California 1400

Molto Verboso
@honeybadger avatar
MP3 500 (2) MotoGuzzi California 1400
UTC quote
This is what I use as my most protective armor,

In the heat, I use it over a long sleeve t-shirt, in mild weather I use it under a heavy canvas Carhart Denim jacket.

It fits incredibly well and has every impact point covered in good armor.
It also makes me look like I've been working out...

This is the Alpinestars Bionic Protection Jacket.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by HoneyBadger on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
^^^A "pressure suit."
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
I have a tourmaster intake 3 jacket that has a windproof/waterproof liner, a down liner and an outside armored mesh jacket. With the liners out it is a nice armored mesh jacket for warm weather and the pads seem to stay in place nicely, with the liners in you can wear it in pretty cold weather. Not terribly expensive but so far has been a nice jacket.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0146s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0062s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]