OP
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250 LML vespa

Enthusiast
MP3 250 LML vespa
UTC quote
I bought this a few weeks ago and it had been standing for 2 years.
It was fairly easy to get it running but it had many,many problems with flashing lights/beeps and the locking system not working.
I've learned a lot through MV,thanks everyone.
I have worked on it over the last few weeks and gradually managed to get it in to a roadworthy condition.
The hardest part was trying to understand what all the electronics/sensors/tilt lock actually did and their relation to each other.
The second hardest part was actually getting access to all the workings. I've heard of tennis elbow but is there such a thing as self tapper hand?? lol
Anyway it's now legal and I went out yesterday for my first ever decent run on an MP3.
My first impression is that it is very stable. It's hard to describe as it still leans but it feels very "planted" on the road.
The standard screen is useless.
As the MP3 relies very much on good electrics I feel Piaggio should have incorporated a charging light or voltage gauge.
I have already decided not to use the locking system at lights/junctions as after 40 yrs of "normal" bikes I consider it as a bit of a gimmick although it may help those with leg or height problems.
I do use it in much the same way as you would use a side stand.
After stopping I lock it and get off. In effect it assists you getting off as it is a little top heavy so if you catch your foot dismounting it doesn't fall over.
I keep it locked for maneouvering around but I don't rely on it for parking for any length of time so I use the stand.
As the stand doesn't lift the whole machine it is very light to use and safer!!
The seat remote opening doesn't work so I've modified it to a cable pull inside the boot(trunk) where it should have been in the first place imo and yes I've tried the resetting procedure quite a few times.
Pity you can't turn the lights off and just use the front running/sidelights. I'm not convinced about permanent headlights as they can mask turn indicators to other road users but that's just me as I'm old and I'm not in a city.
It's not a legal requirement in the UK anyway(yet)
To sum it up it's interesting and has plenty of storage but I haven't yet been on a very long run to judge the comfort level.
You can see why they are very expensive with all the electronics and extra components compared to a normal bike/scooter.
It will be interesting to see how the Yamaha Tricity version compares as (I believe) it will be a much simpler scooter with no locking system and a side stand so it will be much cheaper.
@sanogeo1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500

Molto Verboso
@sanogeo1 avatar
Red Mp 3 500
UTC quote
Did you check the small battery inside the remote key. It may need to change out. as it could be 4 or 5 years old. Just pry the key open. Also the battery on the scooter may be bad, check it out also. That would explain all the beeps and horn , lights flashing and going off.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250 LML vespa

Enthusiast
MP3 250 LML vespa
UTC quote
As I said in the post I've tried all the procedures and have come to the conclusion that the unit is defective.
As for all the warnings you obviously haven't been following my previous posts??
I've replaced the tilt/motor gearbox,wheel sensors,park ECU,pressure sensor,locking switch,new battery,regulator as well as front hubs/discs,front calipers,parking caliper.
The scooter is now 100% working and road legal and all without a dealer Laughing emoticon
@sanogeo1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500

Molto Verboso
@sanogeo1 avatar
Red Mp 3 500
UTC quote
Sorry about that. You are right I don't follow every post.
@spdtwn avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250 & Sei Giorni 300 HPE

Hooked
@spdtwn avatar
UTC quote
Tilt-lock parking
I have been following your previous posts as your travails with your MP3 somewhat parallel mine. It too is a 2007, 250cc model which I purchased having been told, as I came to collect it, that the tilt-lock was faulty. However an electric motor & potentiometer were supplied, but that the ECU #640439.( this part number was identified by Kaborde, one of the helpful members on MV) could be faulty. With no way of testing this I took the bike to Aucklands main Vespa dealer who said they were about to dismantle the front assy. of one of their shop bikes and would 'do a swap' to check out my unit. This took over a month.
" Yes, your Parking ECU is faulty. Tests show ok on speed sensors and switch, ( plus other tests) we fitted you new potentiometer, but still can't get tilt lock to function. Please come and take it away. $399.00 " What if I supply a new ECU"- "Don't bother, it has other faults and probably not worth fixing"
Now, like others, my only need of the TL would be to aid my parking...one faulty knee...and like Gilburton...I am a Scot. Albeit living in a kinder climate.
My thought is to have a look at making up a manually operated lock system- OR- sidestand purely to aid my dismounting. I'm sure other minds more creative than mine on this august forum have thought along similar lines.
By the way, I have since been informed, from an inside source, that the dealer does not have the diagnostic equipment applicable to these little wonders!
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250 LML vespa

Enthusiast
MP3 250 LML vespa
UTC quote
My thoughts exactly. I can't help thinking if Piaggio made an MP3 "lite" i.e. no tilt lock and all the associated sensors it would be much cheaper and less prone to faults.
It would probably also be less top heavy.
I had been musing over a manual tilt lock.
The tl brake caliper is identical to the rear parking caliper so thinking along these lines I wondered if some sort of coupling of these two using a balance beam on the handbrake might lock them up manually??
I've had a quick look at the Yamaha Tricity specs etc. and it looks like this just uses a side stand going by the pics so I presume it doesn't have all this technology with the result it is expected to be substantially cheaper than the MP3.
Only question I've got about removing everything on the MP3 is would it affect the engine ECU and would all the warnings stay off?
I understand the early 125 could come without the TL?
This was my argument about the seat or trunk actuators on the key fob. Why?
I can understand it in a car where you can open/close all the doors but just to open a seat or trunk depending on model??
There again I've got a practical streak and If I hadn't came across a very cheap complete front end from a breakers in the UK I would be hard pressed to buy all the parts I have replaced as they would easily have cost more than what the scooter was worth
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250 LML vespa

Enthusiast
MP3 250 LML vespa
UTC quote
Just to add about your tilt lock motor.
If you remove the connector and try a 12v battery across just to find out if the motor is actually working.That was my problem but had caused others.
Doesn't matter about polarity if it doesn't work one way reverse the leads but don't hold them on too long. This is all the ECU does to make the motor work both ways.
Now if that is ok you will need to get it in the range of the pot.
Following Marksors advice I adjusted the motor using a small screwdriver to wind the motor to both sides.
If you unscrew the adjuster it will move the motor to the left or off position.
If you have the ign on you will get the beeps so keep moving it to the left until you hear a change.
I carried on until it hit the stop then screwed it back the other way.
12 degrees is actually a very small angle to find so be patient .
You don't have to do anything else as (I think) the ECU "learns" the setting??
If you imagine the lever as a clock hand it's about 11 o'clock(roughly)
Can't guarantee it but it's worth a go as until you are in the range it won't trigger the ECU. It doesn't matter about the fully locked position as I believe the ECU senses the load on the motor and switches it off??
Your dealer has probably just manually tested some components using a multimeter??
The hydraulic pressure switch and the micro switch on the caliper are just normal on/off switches so can easily be checked on a meter or continuity checker. The wheel sensors can also be checked with a meter but you can't check the wires unless you take off your fuel filler and inner legshield panels as the connectors are under there?? Another Piaggio lack of thought!!
@spdtwn avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@spdtwn avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the practical information. I'll make a hard copy of that.

Got to get a working ECU first.

In the meantime, my alternatives are not going away.

Sla'inte
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250 LML vespa

Enthusiast
MP3 250 LML vespa
UTC quote
My ECU was working but the parts I got came off a 2013 yourban LT. Just as a matter of interest I tried the ecu off of that and it worked so, as it was nearly new and the ECU is difficult to get to if it becomes faulty, I left it in and I've JUST sold my 250 one on ebay.
I can't see that the park ECUs are that much different so it might be worth getting hold of any ECU to try??
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
No problems with my tilt lock between the original 250 and my current 500 aside from low fluid. That is almost 40,000 miles between the two. I am guessing that MP3s don't like to sit around.
@spdtwn avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@spdtwn avatar
UTC quote
Unnecessary electrics!
Quote:
This was my argument about the seat or trunk actuators on the key fob. Why?
This came to light at the weekend when I attempted to actuate the key to open the fuel filler flap. No way was it going to turn clockwise. OK anti-c/w to release the back flap. A squirt of Nulon and left o/nite made the key action feeling smooth but still nothing. My thoughts took me back to days of puffing graphite powder into key holes!
Use the KISS principle Luke ...spoke the Yoda in my head.

I used a simple lever to open the flap, removed the latch piece-one screw- and bent up a little latch without the hole for the catch to click into. Cut a couple of inches off an old nylon lanyard, secured it with my new latch and the screw.
Voila, it now snecks(Scots word) shut with a nice click and opens with a lite pull on the tab.

Little victory's count. [size=12]
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0179s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0057s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]