OP
@adolph avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300 Super

@adolph avatar
2013 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Despite temperatures continuing in the middle 40s (F), and wind gusting to 25, I could no longer postpone opening the lake cottage where I can show off my Vespa to the only other old man I know with a scooter. Neighbors who have so far missed out on riding Vespas expressed concern that this is just the beginning of a growing rough crowd of motorcycle enthusiasts (both of us being halfway to 80 years old). Except for the opportunity for a Vespa ride with a predetermined destination for a change, we wouldn't have come to the lake for the weekend. It is a wonder that there can be such a sense of pleasure just sitting in our living room and looking at that little red vehicle sitting inside the porch that overlooks the water, a circumstance that my quiet wife agrees might as well be enjoyed. She laughs that a room most others furnish with a bar set up for entertaining guests, in our cottage houses, instead, a motor-scooter and a folding boat.
@dvh1150 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2024 300 GTS "Classico" + 2001 ET2 50

Hooked
@dvh1150 avatar
UTC quote
If I'm reading you correctly, you guys are each 40-ish. Good on ya'! I'm staring 60 smack-dab in the face and have just got my second Vespa! I've wanted one since I was 5...got one a few years ago but circumstances forced a sale...but now I've got a baby one...and I LOVE her just as much as anything!!!

Enjoy yourself (yourselves) and revel in all things Vespa and, well, simply ALL things exciting!!!

Victor/PSP
OP
@adolph avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300 Super

@adolph avatar
2013 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Thanks for your kind reply.
I was unclear in reporting the joke on us. I am 74, and Bill is older. He rides around town with a little dog in a plastic wastebasket secured to the floor of his scooter.

It is usual in town and on the road to see dozens of motorcycles while riding, but I have yet to see a scooter, except for Bill's. It is highly unusual when a motorcyclist fails to wave, however.

I've had my Vespa for only 37 days of which I've ridden it 30 days, sometimes only 4 miles "around the block." The longest I've ridden so far in one day is a little over 100 miles, but that will be remedied soon. What is simple, old stuff, to most people on this forum is excitingly new to this senior who has pulled his 40 year old copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance off the shelf for another look at taking a more extended trip, something which was not remotely conceivable when purchasing the Vespa to make short exploratory rides after hauling it on the back of our truck.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Re: Thanks for your kind reply.
Adolph wrote:
I've had my Vespa for only 37 days of which I've ridden it 30 days, sometimes only 4 miles "around the block." The longest I've ridden so far in one day is a little over 100 miles, but that will be remedied soon. What is simple, old stuff, to most people on this forum is excitingly new to this senior who has pulled his 40 year old copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance off the shelf for another look at taking a more extended trip, something which was not remotely conceivable when purchasing the Vespa to make short exploratory rides after hauling it on the back of our truck.
You've got some serious riding in already....even though you're further south, weather hasn't been all that enticing. OTOH, once hooked, hard to let go. Good on you for looking at some longer trips.....funny how the sense of adventure builds as one rides more.....
UTC

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
UTC quote
We admittedly have excessively high taxes here in California, but the temperatures can get high too. We had a 95 the other day, a 92 yesterday and were forecast for 82 today. At my age, 92, it sure beats the hell out of snow.
Have been getting acquainted with the vagaries of learning to ride with a sidecar. Believe me, It's VERY different.
@dvh1150 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@dvh1150 avatar
UTC quote
Couldn't have said it better, Flerdermaus! I'm itchy myself -- tomorrow at noon thirty I take possession of Lily, "my" 2001 ET2/50...and I'm gonna put some serious miles on her as quickly as I can. We have the opposite problem here than you folks -- summer is NO time to ride! (When it's 117?! I mean, I'm crazy, but...) Ccme mid-October through April, thought, it's STUNNING! Lots of great back roads and scenery, too. So, y'all have fun this summer, keep us desert rats posted, and we'll do the same when we start crankin' again "in season"!!!

Victor/PSP
@dvh1150 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@dvh1150 avatar
UTC quote
You're tellin' the truth, Richard! It was 104 here in Palm Springs today. 'Sposed to cool down to 83 by Tuesday...

Brave man to roll with a sidecar! M' hat's off to ya'...

V.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Beautiful but hot day yesterday. We took a ride around the island. Got my spare rear tire put on a rim,had lunch at an awesome Cuban restaurant. I still reek of garlic as does my pet carrier. Laughing emoticon Got in a bit of rain coming home due to the absence of the trades and high humidity but it felt good. Here's the sunset as we neared home. 150 miles of fun.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@adolph avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300 Super

@adolph avatar
2013 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Perfect
Sounds like a perfect place for a ride, Judy.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
DVH1150 wrote:
Couldn't have said it better, Flerdermaus! I'm itchy myself -- tomorrow at noon thirty I take possession of Lily, "my" 2001 ET2/50...and I'm gonna put some serious miles on her as quickly as I can. We have the opposite problem here than you folks -- summer is NO time to ride! Victor/PSP
I hear ya, the heat has to be brutal, especially with gear, but still, OTOH, I'm guessing that you can squeeze out some good riding at dawn/dusk, whereas in the Great White North, we're just SOL. Crying or Very sad emoticon

Congrats on Lily...hope it's the beginning of a beautiful relationship.
@dvh1150 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@dvh1150 avatar
UTC quote
Thanks , sir! Yeah, during the summer, riding is sorta like hanging on to a blow dryer the size of a 737!

Adolph...congrats on the number of days you've ridden thus far!!! Keep scootin'!!!

Lily is home now, residing in my living room. As I've said on another thread, I'm single and the dogs don't mind! And ignore the cookbooks...my guilty collection...but I do cook out of 'em...

Victor/PSP
OP
@adolph avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300 Super

@adolph avatar
2013 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Your Vespa, DVH1150, has a better home than mine. Mine must stay in the porch.
@dvh1150 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@dvh1150 avatar
UTC quote
Not so fast, Adolph! Your girl is perfectly warm and comfy on that porch! When I told my friends who own the apartment I rent that I was moving Lily in, there were a couple of arched eyebrows, but at the end of the day, they knew I would protect the apartment with the same ferocity I'd protect Lily -- and my two dogs! Nice to have friends! Just like you and other MVers!

Be nice to that 300...she's SWEET!!!

Victor/PSP
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0166s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0071s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]