OP
UTC

None yet

None yet
UTC quote
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to Vespa's as well, I'm sorry if my question is a bit basic.

I'm considering getting a Vespa to commute to work ( i currently have an old car which is costing too much to run).

My work place is 25 miles away, I've worked out i would do approximately 10,000 miles a year and am not sure if that would be too many miles for a 125 Vespa.

I'm considering buying a new Primavera or Sprint.

I've always wanted a Vespa.

thanks for reading,

Julie
@the_mocker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150

Ossessionato
@the_mocker avatar
2010 Orange S150
UTC quote
They aren't toys. So long as you can afford the maintenance it can handle the miles.
OP
UTC

None yet

None yet
UTC quote
The Mocker wrote:
They aren't toys. So long as you can afford the maintenance it can handle the miles.
I never meant to imply they were toys, I was just wondering if a 125 engine was designed to do a lot of miles, when i see them on TV they just seem to be nipping about towns and cities.
@the_mocker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150

Ossessionato
@the_mocker avatar
2010 Orange S150
UTC quote
Julieann wrote:
The Mocker wrote:
I never meant to imply they were toys, I was just wondering if a 125 engine was designed to do a lot of miles, when i see them on TV they just seem to be nipping about towns and cities.
Ignore my first remark. three hours sleep makes me a bit snarky It can handle the miles.
@kabarash avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]

Molto Verboso
@kabarash avatar
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
UTC quote
Of course listen to the 'experts' here, but with proper maintenance that shouldn't be an issue at all. I put over 8000 miles on my Buddy 150 in the first six months of ownership.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Aloha and welcome to the forum from Hawaii. It will cost you a bit to maintain it but it will do it. I have 27,000 miles on my LX as i write this. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Good luck
OP
UTC

None yet

None yet
UTC quote
Thanks for the replies, if I get one it will be really well looked after with the correct servicing done. at the right intervals.

One reason I was not sure about milage was because on looking at Vespas for sale on eBay, most have really low milage, in most instances amounting to less than 1,000 miles a year.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
People get them and then they don't ride it for various reasons. Over here it's because of gas prices. The first time they get scared it's in the garage and not used. I suspect it might be the same over there. The more you ride it the less problems you have.
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125
UTC quote
Welcome to the forum. There are many people who purchase scooters or motorbikes with the best intentions of riding them, but often it does not work out, and they end up riding very little and selling with close to no milage on the clock.

A previously owned scooter is a great way to get into riding. If the seller is as meticulous as you plan on being with service then you might get a low milage bike hasn't even been broken in.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
That's exactly the sort of mileage they are designed to cope with - and many do in Europe.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Re: Can a 125 reasonably do 10,000 miles a year?
Julieann wrote:
work place is 25 miles away
Only YOU can determine which scooter style is most suitable. Include in your research some "less twitchy" 14" and 16" wheel models offered by Piaggio, Kymco, Sym, and Yamaha. A flat-floorboard offers enhanced utility for transporting various items, and the engine kick-start lever on carburetor models (typically not offered with fuel injection) may avoid having to make a service call.
OP
UTC

None yet

None yet
UTC quote
tortoise wrote:
Julieann wrote:
work place is 25 miles away
Only YOU can determine which scooter style is most suitable. Include in your research some "less twitchy" 14" and 16" wheel models offered by Piaggio, Kymco, Sym, and Yamaha. A flat-floorboard offers enhanced utility for transporting various items, and the engine kick-start lever on carburetor models (typically not offered with fuel injection) may avoid having to make a service call.
Thanks, I'm trying to make an informed decision, it will take me a while to save up for one so I will be spending the next few months researching.
@ironfoot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250 - sold

Molto Verboso
@ironfoot avatar
'07 GTS 250 - sold
UTC quote
Julieann wrote:
I'm considering getting a Vespa to commute to work ( i currently have an old car which is costing too much to run).

My work place is 25 miles away, I've worked out i would do approximately 10,000 miles a year and am not sure if that would be too many miles for a 125 Vespa.
Come to scootering for the joy of riding and don't be swayed too much by the idea that it is an economical alternative. A new Vespa is not so cheap to maintain, especially when used as a primary mode of transport. 10000 miles a year will stack up significant service costs, it will eat through rear tyres and drive belts. A new wardrobe stocked with riding gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, rainwear, etc.) is not insignificant either.

Good luck and ride safe.
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
Easily do the miles. Max speed will be lower than your car, but you'll do the miles no problem. Plan on a belt change and tyre change 2 or 3 times every couple of years, and think about synching those changes to minimise time at the dealers, but basically - YES.
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon
UTC quote
We just serviced a 2007 LX150 with 42000 miles on it and off he went into the mad mad world he rides in.

It absolutely can, they just need maintenance.

Good luck!

SDG
OP
UTC

None yet

None yet
UTC quote
Ironfoot wrote:
Julieann wrote:

Come to scootering for the joy of riding and don't be swayed too much by the idea that it is an economical alternative. A new Vespa is not so cheap to maintain, especially when used as a primary mode of transport. 10000 miles a year will stack up significant service costs, it will eat through rear tyres and drive belts. A new wardrobe stocked with riding gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, rainwear, etc.) is not insignificant either.

Good luck and ride safe.
Thanks, that's something to think about, I suppose if the ongoing costs turn out prohibitive for doing such high milage I will have to consider getting a car for work and use the scooter for recreation.
OP
UTC

None yet

None yet
UTC quote
Benelli Boy wrote:
Easily do the miles. Max speed will be lower than your car, but you'll do the miles no problem. Plan on a belt change and tyre change 2 or 3 times every couple of years, and think about synching those changes to minimise time at the dealers, but basically - YES.
Thanks, I don't think speed will be an issue, my trip to work is mostly country roads and I rarely if ever get above 50mph, usually less.

I work 4 days on 4 days off so lots of time for it to be in for service.

I'm getting excited that this is actually achievable, I went to a local dealer a few days ago and fell in love with the bikes
OP
UTC

None yet

None yet
UTC quote
SDG wrote:
We just serviced a 2007 LX150 with 42000 miles on it and off he went into the mad mad world he rides in.

Good luck!

SDG
That's good to hear, thanks
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Julieann wrote:
I suppose if the ongoing costs turn out prohibitive for doing such high milage I will have to consider getting a car for work and use the scooter for recreation.
The overall cost of ownership of a scooter is quite similar to that of a car in the UK - and can be considerably less if you do your own maintenance.

The plus side to using the scoot for commuting is you're hardly ever held up by traffic. In a car, if there's some transport problem what would normally be an hour's commute can turn into two hours. On the scoot it'll always be around 30 minutes.

You can leave later and get home earlier - and arrive each end with a grin on your face, ready to face the world. *That's* the true benefit of using a PTW for commuting!

(Powered Two Wheeler if you hadn't seen the PTW acronym before.)
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
Don't forget the big picture. 20% the cost of a car, 30% the cost of insurance. Try looking at a Fly 150, 10,000k (6000 miles) between servicing.
⚠️ Last edited by breaknwind on UTC; edited 2 times
@lozjm avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 Sprint 50

Hooked
@lozjm avatar
2016 Sprint 50
UTC quote
Hi Julie

Remember in uk I think u need a provisional bike licence for a 125 but can ride a 50 on a car licence which is what I do

Have fun !

Loz
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
The newer Vespas (3v engine) have 10,000 km service intervals, will happily sit on 80kph + all day and will get you there in style.
Get a front screen and top box.
@wade avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa Marietta

Hooked
@wade avatar
Vespa Marietta
UTC quote
Sounds like 10,000 miles of bliss to me. Have fun!
@scotty_j avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250

Banned
@scotty_j avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
SDG wrote:

Good luck!

SDG
Change the rollers and belt, keep the oil(s) changed. Grease the right places and it will run just fine. Good advice David.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0181s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0055s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]