@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
UTC quote
I know this has been posted before. I personally never came across it but Ryan Kirk is a "guru" . Im totally fixated on the DIY aspect of vespa maintenance since my dealer messed around with my scoot and just showed a lack of professionalism.

Check it out I know you will not be bored ...

For example ... does everyone know the proper level too look for on the tranny dip stick ? Sure it says in the manual 60 cc ( not sure about the quantity) but he mentions what too look for on the dip stick. And if its over he explains why its bad for the tranny in laymans terms....

Hope you enjoy this aspect of Vespa as much as i do ...

enjoy
H.

You may have to copy and paste into browser but so worth it !

Vespa Tech Workshop Videos
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
Kdude,
I attended that class and made my own index. I was unaware of the wiki version. Regardless, here's my index. If I can figure out how to add to the wiki page, I'll do that tmw.

The class was excellent and the videos are priceless. I went because my dealer was floundering and I was afraid they'd fail. They did. I'll do my own first service in a couple months. I indexed the vids so I could find what I needed.

Best
Miguel

Link to my original post.

--------------- ----------------------- ---------------

Part 1: Background and introduction of Rolf: He trained most of the Vespa mechanics in the US when Vespa re-entered the US market.

Part 2: Participant introductions including Glasseye and Jess (who dropped by for the day). Lots of wisdom in this section and getting to know the participants.

Part 3: Discussion of Vespa and the models by Rolf , more words of wisdom. Discussion of tires. Engine oil and levels. Oil filters. Transmission oil and a trick to changing the transmission oil.

Part 4: Vespa keys. Discussion on ECU. Programming keys, Discussion of Vespa Service and service intervals, Fuel filter discussion, Coolant discussion and draining the radiator, Auxiliary cooling fan. Thermostats and bleeder screw.

Part 5: More discussion on coolant, LED dash light diagnostics, operating Rolf's hydraulic lift. Oil service, begins at 22 minutes. Removing the transmission cover to access belt, variator, clutch. Lots of tricks by Glasseye here. Begine at 35 minutes. Also discussion of tools needed.

Part 6: Rolf and Glasseye explains how the continuously variable transmission system and variator works. Comparison of different variator holding tools. Discussion of various rollers. Discussion of the rear bearing in the transmission housing. Discussion of J Costa variators. Replacing the belt. Description of the belt direction. Discussion of clutch bearing.

Part 7: More on replacing the belt. Rolf advocates removing the foam filter in the front of the transmission cover. Torquing the variator nut and putting the transmission cover back on. Lots of warnings.

Part 8: Installing the transmission cover and torqueing the rear axle nut. Removing the exhaust, rear wheel, looking at the rear brakes. Meeting Jeff the regional Piaggio western sales manager who stopped by Rolf's. Rolf shows off his refurbished Vintage 160 (I think) Vespa - beautiful!!

Part 9: Rich explains the clutch operation. Removing rear shocks so the motor can be tilted and provide access to the valve adjustment. Adjusting the valves.

Part 10: Lots of miscellaneous topics - batteries, relays, stories from Rolf, etc.
OP
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
UTC quote
Miguel that was so helpful. Surprised not many other members were as impressed as us. It must have been an amazing experience to get knowledge from someone who has seen it all. And too boot he comes from Porsche as a factory trained technician. I'm very impressed and would love to drop in and meet him one day. thanks again.
Howard
OP
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
UTC quote
Miguel did he ever do another series similar too the last one. I learned so much as if i was right there with you guys... priceless!
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
LX150
UTC quote
I can attest the wiki videos were the absolute best guidance I could ask for as I do all my own maintenance other than putting fresh tires on the rim.

I have to say this though. The Vespa sidestand is useful in maintenance procedures IF it has been properly altered. You have to take the notch back far enough that the stand opens to the point it won't retract on its own. And then you have to lengthen it because it's too short.

The reason the sidestand can be useful is that when resting on it, the engine pivots a different angle which makes getting at the valve cover easier [on the LX series].

I swear, that stand was meant for a different bike entirely it's so far off the mark.

Harv
OP
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
UTC quote
WasRoadbum wrote:
I can attest the wiki videos were the absolute best guidance I could ask for as I do all my own maintenance other than putting fresh tires on the rim.

I have to say this though. The Vespa sidestand is useful in maintenance procedures IF it has been properly altered. You have to take the notch back far enough that the stand opens to the point it won't retract on its own. And then you have to lengthen it because it's too short.

The reason the sidestand can be useful is that when resting on it, the engine pivots a different angle which makes getting at the valve cover easier [on the LX series].

I swear, that stand was meant for a different bike entirely it's so far off the mark.

Harv
Good tip Harv going to check it out .. I had a bitch of a time getting the valve cover out of the opening. I used a tip a fellow member gave me about taking the stand down and this also worked. Thank to my lift and cycle vise it saved me a lot of heart ache... Jimb said he is able to leave the cover inside and still do the valve , i couldn't do it that way.... thx again. Howard
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
floss
sausages vespa maintenance dvd is my goto
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
UTC quote
Re: floss
T5bitza69 wrote:
sausages vespa maintenance dvd is my goto
What models and years does that dvd cover ? Would it help me with a 2009 150 ?
@adolph avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300 Super

@adolph avatar
2013 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
I watched 7 of the 10 Vespa Tech Workshop Videos late into the night (this morning). Will watch the last 3 tonight after finishing work. Thanks to kdude for calling attention to them, and Miguel for the index posting. Very useful.
@igottascoot avatar
UTC

@igottascoot avatar
UTC quote
I enjoyed those "vespa tech" videos too!! I am going to attempt my first valve adjustment procedure soon!
OP
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
UTC quote
igottascoot wrote:
I enjoyed those "vespa tech" videos too!! I am going to attempt my first valve adjustment procedure soon!
I just did mine and it really was not hard at all. The key was preparation. I watched the video, asked a ton of questions.

The key to the 150 valve adj. was getting the motor to move a bit so that you could get the valve cover out of the engine opening. This is all documented online but if you need a blow by blow just pm me and i will help you get it right.

As a matter of fact just for practice I'm going to do the whole procedure again just to really fine tune the valve adj procedure.

Jimb has a way to do it without taking the cover out of the compartment.. You may want to contact him too. He really knows his stuff.

I found tdc by rotating the variator nut. The secret to getting the valve cover off was taking the scoot off its stand.. I used a cycle vise to hold up the scooter upright and the engine moved just enough to take the cover out. You may also have to unclip , left side of cover the two hoses that will stop the cover from coming out...

Best of luck
H.
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
help
kdude wrote:
Would it help me with a 2009 150 ?
150 what?? its for px/t5s
OP
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
UTC quote
Re: help
T5bitza69 wrote:
kdude wrote:
Would it help me with a 2009 150 ?
150 what?? its for px/t5s
I have a carbed 150 2009 too..
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1060s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0946s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]