@virtuahead avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250ie

Hooked
@virtuahead avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Thursday night wife and I were riding. I was in front on my Vespa, and went through a circle, she was behind me on her Piaggio. Suddenly I hear a horrible noise, and look in mirror and see her scooter skidding across the road. What a terrible feeling. Full helmet on, thank god. X-rays showed no broken bones, just a lot of pain and bruises. Driver said he never saw her. I wanted to punch him, but what good would that do? Stupid drivers not paying attention to the road. All I can do is thank god she was not hurt worse, and let insurance take care of the rest.
@ravenlore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"

Molto Verboso
@ravenlore avatar
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"
UTC quote
Re: Wife hit by car that was not looking......
Virtuahead wrote:
Thursday night wife and I were riding. I was in front on my Vespa, and went through a circle, she was behind me on her Piaggio. Suddenly I hear a horrible noise, and look in mirror and see her scooter skidding across the road. What a terrible feeling. Full helmet on, thank god. X-rays showed no broken bones, just a lot of pain and bruises. Driver said he never saw her. I wanted to punch him, but what good would that do? Stupid drivers not paying attention to the road. All I can do is thank god she was not hurt worse, and let insurance take care of the rest.
I can't even imagine the horror you must have felt. Glad to hear she's not more seriously hurt.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 150 (F-. Ball of Sunshine), Buddy 170i

Hooked
Vespa LX 150 (F-. Ball of Sunshine), Buddy 170i
UTC quote
I'm glad she's relatively uninjured. I hope the driver starts paying more attention to what he's doing in the future. =(
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
rdk wrote:
I'm glad she's relatively uninjured. I hope the driver starts paying more attention to what he's doing in the future. =(
^++
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S
UTC quote
I'm sorry to hear this and am sending some healing mojo to your wife for a quick recovery.

Good for you for not punching the guy who hit your wife, you kept a level head in a tense situation.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Whoa glad she is basically ok. I understand the rage. I was on my scoot following my wife in her car when she was sideswiped and then the guy that hit her took off. After making sure she was ok I chased the guy down and made him come back. I was really seeing red.
@beverley avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 250 GTSie

Hooked
@beverley avatar
Vespa 250 GTSie
UTC quote
So terrible to hear that happened to you both. I hope she recovers quickly and is able to get back on the road without fear overcoming her. Glad she relatively OK.
UTC

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy
UTC quote
AAAGH!

Still, accidents happen and I'm glad she's alright.

If the driver stops and cooperates, at least there's that. So many people here take off and the law has to hunt them down. In the age of cell phones and cameras, you're not likely to get away with it......

Speedy recovery to her and the scoot!
OP
@virtuahead avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250ie

Hooked
@virtuahead avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Thanks everyone!
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, we were lucky that the guy stopped, and admitted his fault to the police. Could have been worse.
@adolph avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300 Super

@adolph avatar
2013 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
I am sorry for your suffering, and hope both of you will be feeling better soon.
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)
UTC quote
Sorry to learn this. Both my wife and I ride; her every day to commute from our house to work. She had an off last spring that did a "job" on her foot. She recovered, the bike recovered and she never stopped riding.

I was so frightened when she called, but quickly recognized that if she could call it could not have been that bad.

If I would have seen it occur it would have been horribly terrifying,
UTC

GTS250

GTS250
UTC quote
Sorry about your wife and glad it's no worse. Similar incident happened to my 21yo son last Saurday, girl turned left in front of him and he hit her. He's the safest rider I know to make matters worse she has $50k worth of bodily injury and in 4 days in the hospital racked up $86k without any doctors or ambulence. Bad break on his right leg and right hand injuries, 4 hour surgery to put his leg back together and may require additional surgeries. He'll be in a wheelchair for 12 weeks and rehab to follow. I always tell him chicks dig scares and he's gotten plenty now. He's been riding since he was 3, years of racing motocross, flat dirt track, super-moto, and roadracing with no injuries he's riding home from the gym and taken out. One very nice Zuma 125 is several inches shorter.

It's a shame people can't concnetrate on driving. Youngest son and I were out for a ride last night and the number of people looking at their phones while driving is shocking.
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
UTC quote
Glad she was okay.

It's terrible to see someone crash.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
So sorry and there seems to be a rash of accidents lately. Glad she wasn't hurt worse and i hope the person at least got a ticket. Lame excuse "i didn't see you". Wishing her a speedy recovery.
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
" I didn't see her" they leave out the part "because I was talking on my phone or texting"
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
If only....
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@bugtussle avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
13 GTS 300ie Super

Enthusiast
@bugtussle avatar
13 GTS 300ie Super
UTC quote
I would have his cell phone records subpoenaed. If he was texting or talking at the time of the accident she deserves to be compensated to the fullest for everything.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Sorry about the crash. If it's only bruising she's lucky. At least no $$ to an orthopedist.

Hope your wife recovers quickly.

I'll reserve judgement on the other driver. if they were texting or being stupid...
OTOH, it's already been discussed that our brains don't easily recognize what we're not expecting to see. And even with that....I once lived at the edge of town where the speed limit was still 55. A good friend of mine would drive by on her way to work in the mornings, and sometimes I'd see her and wave. On one particular day, I looked both ways as usual, started pulling out and on my very last look before accelerating, saw a blue flash in front of me. It wouldn't have been pretty had I been a second faster. Visibility was perfect, I was alert, I wasn't in a hurry, I was not distracted by anything, but I DIDN'T SEE HER. Scared the sh** out of myself.
@boraxman avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250

Addicted
@boraxman avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
First off glad she wasnt seriously injured.

As far as the driver goes maybe he really didnt see her...?

I never get too angry if I almost get hit..Part of the risk of riding and the simple fact motorcycles are hard to see.
⚠️ Last edited by boraxman on UTC; edited 1 time
@rkcoker avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV350

Addicted
@rkcoker avatar
Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
So happy that your wife was "only hurt". At least, you and she can comfort each other. May your wife mend quickly and painlessly.
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
UTC quote
Sorry to hear about your missus, hope she heals quick and that it doesn't knock her confidence

Also glad to hear she was wearing full face
OP
@virtuahead avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250ie

Hooked
@virtuahead avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
fleece wrote:
Sorry to hear about your missus, hope she heals quick and that it doesn't knock her confidence

Also glad to hear she was wearing full face
It was weird, she went to put on her half helmet before we left, and for some reason I asked her to wear her full helmet. Guardian angel at work. And yes, there were scrapes and scratches on the face part of the helmet/shield.

Insurance company picked up her scooter this morning, probably totaled they said. She wants another, so she is a trooper!
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Virtuahead wrote:
She wants another, so she is a trooper!
Boy, I'll say! Good for her!
@tommylittlescooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus

Molto Verboso
@tommylittlescooter avatar
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
UTC quote
Hate when this happens. Healing wishes sent her way.
@teapotdome avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 GT (sold) 2015 GTS (sold) 2007 LX (sold)

Molto Verboso
@teapotdome avatar
2006 GT (sold) 2015 GTS (sold) 2007 LX (sold)
UTC quote
That really sucks. I hope she's really okay and heals quickly. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
@tazio avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 Vespa GTS250ie 2007 Buddy 125 Series Italia 2012 Ural Gear-Up

Addicted
@tazio avatar
2007 Vespa GTS250ie 2007 Buddy 125 Series Italia 2012 Ural Gear-Up
UTC quote
Glad the injuries weren't to bad!

I think the first words out of any accident perpertrator is "I never even saw you." The two times I got hit I was able to come back with, "You didn't see the stop sign (light) that you ran either."
@dvh1150 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2024 300 GTS "Classico" + 2001 ET2 50

Hooked
@dvh1150 avatar
2024 300 GTS "Classico" + 2001 ET2 50
UTC quote
Mr. V -- good on ya' for being prescient about the full face...SOOOOO glad she's only suffered minors...SOOOOO glad she wants another scoot...and from your first post, I could almost HEAR the crash...flippin' scary!!!

Here's for the best for you both!

Victor/PSP
@mikeyl avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"

Molto Verboso
@mikeyl avatar
2010 Vespa Volcanic Black GTS 300 Super "Marta"
UTC quote
Sorry for her accident. I'm sure it wasn't as traumatic as it would have been if you weren't there. Glad it wasn't worse. Sending healing mojo her way.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
I believe that everyone here is so thankful she is basically ok. I do believe that checking on the cell phone records of the driver makes a lot of sense. Ever since I was rear-ended and my car totaled I am always looking at what drivers are doing in their cars when they are driving. It is scary the number of people who are not paying attention to their driving, either texting, talking or a myriad of other activities that distract one from driving. The one activity that can be checked is the cell phone. If the driver was distracted on their cell phone or texting you will do a service to others to have them punished for that activity. Be well and be safe.

larry
@troutbum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL

Ossessionato
@troutbum avatar
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
UTC quote
So glad it wasn't worst off. Still she'll have to endure the discomfort for some time. Pamper her.
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
Glad your better half is OK. I can't imagine being in your situation and keeping it together after the event.
Kia kaha.
@kittysaz avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
White GTS125 - Milo - 2009-2012 Red GTS Super 300 - Watson - 2012 - 2014. Silver Vespa GTS 250 - Carter - 2014

Ossessionato
@kittysaz avatar
White GTS125 - Milo - 2009-2012 Red GTS Super 300 - Watson - 2012 - 2014. Silver Vespa GTS 250 - Carter - 2014
UTC quote
Riding into work today I saw a man in a van eating a sandwich with one hand, phone in the other and controlling the wheel with his knees.

I'm really sorry to hear about your wife

Take care out there
Kitty
X
@benito avatar
UTC

2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150

@benito avatar
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
UTC quote
Wow, sorry to hear about that accident, but I'm glad that your wife wasn't hurt more badly.
@dariasen avatar
UTC

Buddy 150

@dariasen avatar
Buddy 150
UTC quote
Glad she's not too hurt. My husband got rearended on his bike a few weeks ago. He got a new bike and jumped right back on. You're going to be more nervous then she will be when she gets on 2wheels again.
@voneschenbach avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly

Ossessionato
@voneschenbach avatar
A fracking cage sadly
UTC quote
Glad your wife is OK and the driver stepped up and did the right thing. Hopefully the insurance stuff all works out OK and she is back on the road soon.
@railchaser avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 Vespa GTS 300 Super, 08 Vespa LX150, 2000 BMW R1100RT, 01 Honda Reflex (sold)

Hooked
@railchaser avatar
2012 Vespa GTS 300 Super, 08 Vespa LX150, 2000 BMW R1100RT, 01 Honda Reflex (sold)
UTC quote
Glad to know she's doing fine. I hope she gets back in the saddle real soon. My wife and I both ride and commute daily in different direction but when we ride together on separate bikes it's like I'm watching way ahead of her for traffic dangers. She leads to keep me from driving to fast. We'll say a prayer for her.
@beats_walkin avatar
UTC

Hooked
1983 PX 200E Elestart, 1984 50S - plus 1959 Velosolex 1700, 1963 Jawa-CZ 'armadni, 1970 Yamaha YB50 cafe racer, 1972 Honda CB 350 K4, 1979 Honda C50

Hooked
@beats_walkin avatar
1983 PX 200E Elestart, 1984 50S - plus 1959 Velosolex 1700, 1963 Jawa-CZ 'armadni, 1970 Yamaha YB50 cafe racer, 1972 Honda CB 350 K4, 1979 Honda C50
UTC quote
Sorry to hear about your wife's mishap; glad that she'll be OK, and hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Agree with the others that it would be wise to get the driver's cellphone records if at all possible, although it may not have been the cause.

High-visibility vests are becoming commonplace for scooterists and motorcyclists over here - that includes me. My thinking is that at least the cagers have something to aim for...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0244s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0113s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]