Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Anyone Using?
Your Comments Please...

I typically use my Marc Parnes Balancer, but wondering if there are any benefits to install this as well to make up for Tire Wear over the period of time the Tire is Mounted.

Thanks,
Keith
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@ponydrvr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D

Molto Verboso
@ponydrvr avatar
Honda CTX 700D
UTC quote
They are the same as Dyna Beads. Very small ceramic beads that do the same thing.

I have tried them. I have some (quite a lot actually) if you're interested. I never found them to be beneficial.

IMHO they are akin to snake oil.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I wouldn't say complete snake oil but I do agree that they are no replacement for a properly balanced wheel. However, as tires wear the balance point can be moved and beads could help offset this when at speed as that is the only time they have an effect.

Are they worth it for that? Not for me but YMMV.
UTC

Piaggio Mp3 250 LT

Piaggio Mp3 250 LT
UTC quote
Hi,

I am actually very positive about Dynabeads - yours look like the same concept.
I have just got new front tires installed (have not planned that but it is a different story) and service man claimed that this kind of wheel do not require balancing.
Very shortly on the highway I found that is not true and above 100-105 km/h I could feel growing vibrations. Ride above 110kmh was impossible.

After applying to all wheels (yes, why not:)) the right amount of 2oz to each and getting back on highway again it is different ride - there is a brief moment you can feel some but after reaching crusing speed it goes dead smooth.

Application was quite easy - used funnel attached to piece of rubber pipe and screw driver to tap on it quickly - took me 15 minutes including inflating. Price was OK even with shipping from UK (I live in Denmark).
Can recommend this very much.
OP
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
What's supposed to make these different is they are Teflon Coated and they stick with static charge to the tire, vs just falling to the bottom when you come to a stop.

Anyway, I still like the stick on weights, but I can see adding this also for some possible extension of tire life, and elimination of Vibration.

A friend of mine mounted a GoPro Camera on his bike, and did a before and after Video, and you could tell the difference with his recorded Video where there was no image stabilization required on the After Video. It was very smooth vs the one without the Beads, you could see the shaking in the Video.

On a Different Subject...
I have a LG Front Loader Washing Machine.
I recently had to take it apart to replace the Evacuation Pump.
I found it interesting they use the same concept to keep the Tub Balanced with Metal Balls that spin which makes the Tub Automatically Balance itself during Spin Cycle... I said it this works for my Washer, its got to work on Bike, Car, Truck Tires too...

Keith
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
klaborde wrote:
What's supposed to make these different is they are Teflon Coated and they stick with static charge to the tire, vs just falling to the bottom when you come to a stop.

Keith
to make them stick better just add some ride on sealant.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
This is the dynabead demo video. It would seem that in order for a bead to actually work as professed they should not stick.

OP
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Sticky, CounterAct use's a little different design with the Teflon Coating which causes a "Static Electricity" to hold them in place for a short period of time, so it does not have to re-balance the tire at every stop like the Dyna-beads do? I seen this video, there are some on Youtube that show how the CounterAct work where they stick to the side of the bottle.

As OAD mentioned, there are some balancing foam/liquid solutions too which you squirt in this foam material, and it not only balances the tire, but it also stops a air leak. It remains in a liquid state, and does not dry up. There is a video where a fellow puts the foam in, then makes a hole in the tire with a Drill Bit, and it stops leaking...

Keith
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
UTC quote
Beads work. BUUTT-- you have to match the amount of beads installed to the size of the tire. Had mine in for about 5000 miles and smooth as silk. There is a chart. Check it out!!
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
klaborde wrote:
Sticky, CounterAct use's a little different design with the Teflon Coating which causes a "Static Electricity" to hold them in place for a short period of time, so it does not have to re-balance the tire at every stop like the Dyna-beads do? I seen this video, there are some on Youtube that show how the CounterAct work where they stick to the side of the bottle.

As OAD mentioned, there are some balancing foam/liquid solutions too which you squirt in this foam material, and it not only balances the tire, but it also stops a air leak. It remains in a liquid state, and does not dry up. There is a video where a fellow puts the foam in, then makes a hole in the tire with a Drill Bit, and it stops leaking...

Keith
WOOOSSSHHHHH
@ramblerdan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400

Ossessionato
@ramblerdan avatar
2009 MP3 400
UTC quote
I suspect that those who have had poor experiences with beads had wheels that were too far out of balance. If you put two ounces of beads in a tire/wheel that's more than two ounces off, the beads can't possibly make up the difference. But if the wheel nearly balanced with weights, the beads should make it perfect.

Of course with a one-lunger, there is no complete freedom from vibration.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
ramblerdan wrote:
But if the wheel nearly balanced with weights, the beads should make it perfect.

a nearly balanced wheel is not balanced.

Using beads does not make a tire balanced in all situations and speeds.
I have yet to see a tire manufacture or a vehicle manufacture use or endorse beads. Also have yet to see ANY type of motorsport racing team use them.

A properly balanced wheel/tire is balanced in all situations and speeds
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0135s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0076s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]