@bklyn_quattro avatar
UTC

Addicted
'15 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@bklyn_quattro avatar
'15 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
So it finally happened, a fat $115 ticket for parking on the sidewalk. Before the stoning commences, understand that there are several bikes of all sizes that park underneath a pedestrian overpass next to the hospital we all work at. There is zero foot traffic there as the sidewalk ends at the FDR drive. Doushebag cop went out of his way to ticket the bikes. I cover mine and do not pull the plate as many in New York often do. Cop lifted my cover to write the ticket. I believe this is not allowed when issuing a ticket. Any thoughts or insight? Do I have a case to fight the ticket? I'll add the main reason most people park bikes on the sidewalk in NYC is not because of convenience, or "F" the system, it's because drivers often back into motorcycles when parking or even try to move them so they can park! A secondary debate could be made for lack of PTW designated parking areas.

Cheers,

Brian
@dmpawley avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 GTS 300 i.e.

Ossessionato
@dmpawley avatar
2013 GTS 300 i.e.
UTC quote
Is it still cheaper than paying for parking?
@bloop43 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2013 VespaGts300 Super Sport SE Vader part Deux, 2009 Vespa Lx150, 1976 Vespa Rally 200

Hooked
@bloop43 avatar
2013 VespaGts300 Super Sport SE Vader part Deux, 2009 Vespa Lx150, 1976 Vespa Rally 200
UTC quote
I hate to tell you that he can look under the cover to get your plate. It sucks I know. I work outside of Albany and would never bust balls like that especially if they're not interfering with people getting by. I'm assuming that NYPD's parking enforcement is separate from the PD. Are parking attendants are the same way around here with ticketing everything. That's a pricey ticket. Sorry. Wish I was more help.
OP
@bklyn_quattro avatar
UTC

Addicted
'15 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@bklyn_quattro avatar
'15 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
dmpawley wrote:
Is it still cheaper than paying for parking?
It is actually, lol. Not much of a discount offered to motorcycles in the parking garages. Subsidized parking around my job will still run over $200/ month
@4n6iscool avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX150, GT200

Hooked
@4n6iscool avatar
LX150, GT200
UTC quote
Technically it is illegal that you covered/ obstructed you plate. Cop can totally lift the the cover to see your plate.

Suck it up and take the hit. It off sets all the times you didn't pay for parking. In six years of parking scoots I've been ticketed twice. Even with that I'm still ahead for all the times I didn't pay for parking.
OP
@bklyn_quattro avatar
UTC

Addicted
'15 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@bklyn_quattro avatar
'15 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
bloop43 wrote:
I hate to tell you that he can look under the cover to get your plate. It sucks I know. I work outside of Albany and would never bust balls like that especially if they're not interfering with people getting by. I'm assuming that NYPD's parking enforcement is separate from the PD. Are parking attendants are the same way around here with ticketing everything. That's a pricey ticket. Sorry. Wish I was more help.
That's disconcerting to hear, lol. I was under the impression that police were not allowed to go under cover. Traffic enforcement is a separate entity from NYPD i believe.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
In AZ you can get a ticket for covering your license plate. People will sometimes write their plate number on the cover with black paint. Parking on the sidewalks here is also illegal. If i do and I get a ticket, I would just pay it. I personally simply don't park on sidewalks. I realize that's easy for me to say since parking is not hard to find here.

Perhaps your employer can find some parking area that doesn't work great for cars and reserve it for PTWs?

-Craig
@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
Bklyn_Quattro wrote:
bloop43 wrote:
That's disconcerting to hear, lol. I was under the impression that police were not allowed to go under cover. Traffic enforcement is a separate entity from NYPD i believe.
Facepalm emoticon

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/careers/civilian_employment.shtml#traffic_enforcement
http://www.nypdrecruit.com/inside-nypd/civilian-opportunities

If you're parked illegally (car or PTW), cover or no cover, a cop or traffic agent can give you a ticket. It's at their discretion, and if it's a good spot to meet their quota (lots of illegally parked vehicles), I'd be expecting one. You're lucky you didn't get towed.
OP
@bklyn_quattro avatar
UTC

Addicted
'15 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@bklyn_quattro avatar
'15 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
Well, I plan on contesting the ticket anyway. Plenty of other opportunities for bored cops to uphold the law and meet quotas. I know I was (and several others) parked illegally but if you saw the area we all park in, you'd understand the level of frustration.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
If it's a 'sidewalk dead-end' - why not get out there one dark night with some paint and paint some m/c parking spaces all the way down it. Make it look official, and the parking attendants will believe it - and I can't see anyone complaining.
@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
Bklyn_Quattro wrote:
Well, I plan on contesting the ticket anyway. Plenty of other opportunities for bored cops to uphold the law and meet quotas. I know I was (and several others) parked illegally but if you saw the area we all park in, you'd understand the level of frustration.
Take a picture of the parking space and post it up.

BTW, I got a ticket a few weeks ago for parking too close to a hydrant. I got it dismissed because it didn't have the correct vehicle make.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Bklyn_Quattro wrote:
Well it is your time to waste. Good luck.
OP
@bklyn_quattro avatar
UTC

Addicted
'15 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@bklyn_quattro avatar
'15 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
I'll snap a couple pics tomorrow as I RIDE BY the spot I usually park in as I search for a legal street spot.
@hendon avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2004 ET4, 2003 ET4, 1980 P200, 1963 Li150

Molto Verboso
@hendon avatar
UTC quote
You may as well challenge the ticket, but you don't have a leg to stand on with the cover argument. It's completely legal for the police to look under the cover. You're better off looking for some other technical defect on the ticket.

Brendan
OP
@bklyn_quattro avatar
UTC

Addicted
'15 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@bklyn_quattro avatar
'15 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Bklyn_Quattro wrote:
Well it is your time to waste. Good luck.
By contesting online, parking tickets usually get reduced by 10-20%
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
Bklyn_Quattro wrote:
You mentioned the traffic enforcement division was separate from the NYPD. What laws should these "bored cops" be looking to up hold. You were parked illegally and you got caught. Don't blame the cop who ticketed you or try to make him/her seem at fault because he/she is a "bored cop". They're just doing their job. Your luck ran out so it's time to pay up.

-Craig
OP
@bklyn_quattro avatar
UTC

Addicted
'15 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@bklyn_quattro avatar
'15 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
Bklyn_Quattro wrote:
You mentioned the traffic enforcement division was separate from the NYPD. What laws should these "bored cops" be looking to up hold. You were parked illegally and you got caught. Don't blame the cop who ticketed you or try to make him/her seem at fault because he/she is a "bored cop". They're just doing their job. Your luck ran out so it's time to pay up.

-Craig
For starters, they can ticket the double parked cars and delivery trucks that impede traffic on the major Avenues. These people cause traffic congesti
OP
@bklyn_quattro avatar
UTC

Addicted
'15 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@bklyn_quattro avatar
'15 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
Apologies for the truncated post, sent from iPhone, got cut off. I won't waste anymore bandwidth on my defense but my point here is traffic enforcement should focus on double parked cars, or even the bikes around the city that are chained to fire hydrants!! This cop or whatever he or she is went out of their way to ticket a bunch of bikes that are not in anyone's way nor are they blocking any egresses or an actual fire hazzard. Parked illegally? Yes and I'll pay the ticket but I'll get my money's worth complaining about it.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Bklyn_Quattro wrote:
Apologies for the truncated post, sent from iPhone, got cut off. I won't waste anymore bandwidth on my defense but my point here is traffic enforcement should focus on double parked cars, or even the bikes around the city that are chained to fire hydrants!! This cop or whatever he or she is went out of their way to ticket a bunch of bikes that are not in anyone's way nor are they blocking any egresses or an actual fire hazzard. Parked illegally? Yes and I'll pay the ticket but I'll get my money's worth complaining about it.
LOL Get your moneys worth girlfriend! Or you could save the city you live in a few bucks talking to you about a debt you owe and just pay the fine you earned. Just sayin.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I'll stick up for you. You live in a no win city. They'll knock your bikes over in a NY second and the cops aren't much help. Not dissing cops but stating the facts. Every Vespa I saw had dents all over them. I'd fight it. Can't hurt so why not. They can look under the cover if the bikes in a public area. See if you can get that area designated for 2 wheeled parking. Good luck
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
judy wrote:
I'll stick up for you. You live in a no win city. They'll knock your bikes over in a NY second and the cops aren't much help. Not dissing cops but stating the facts. Every Vespa I saw had dents all over them. I'd fight it. Can't hurt so why not. They can look under the cover if the bikes in a public area. See if you can get that area designated for 2 wheeled parking. Good luck
So fight it even though you know you are wrong? American way I guess.
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
Bklyn_Quattro wrote:
A secondary debate could be made for lack of PTW designated parking areas.

Cheers,

Brian
Yes, absolutely. But unfortunately, you have to have that debate with your local, elected, legislative representative who, unfortunately, can't do squat to help you with your current judicial predicament.
@hendon avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hendon avatar
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
judy wrote:
That's the New York way, anyway. Everyone fights their tickets here. It's as much a part of living here as jaywalking is.

Brendan
@dvh1150 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2024 300 GTS "Classico" + 2001 ET2 50

Hooked
@dvh1150 avatar
2024 300 GTS "Classico" + 2001 ET2 50
UTC quote
Hendon -- yet another reason I live in Palm Springs!...

Victor
@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
judy wrote:
He's probably got a better chance of our former mayor paying his parking ticket (he hated PTW), than getting that area designated for PTW. The reality is that non-riders could give two steaming pieces of dogpoo about riders and their "mopeds".

Like you said already, NYC is a no-win city. When I bought my "plastic fantastic", I expected it to get knocked over, sat on, vandalized, or stolen. It's a fact of life living here, and that's why I have full coverage.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
It's called a "cultural imperative", John.
@celeste avatar
UTC

Hooked
gts250ie

Hooked
@celeste avatar
gts250ie
UTC quote
too weird - I got a ticket last week at a mall and today I got a bump from 2 month old thread.
I said, "I generally park on the very wide sidewalks on either side or between entrances at Walmart, Target, Panera and other places. . . Never had a problem but do have lots of conversations with people passing by."

Now understand I would almost rather get beat up than go to the mall.
Met someone for a very late lunch. Not a soul in sight and only two tables in a place that probably seats 300.
I had parked very close to the outside/only entrance to the restaurant. No way it could be construed as blocking anything. Twenty foot wide sidewalks and around the corner from the mall entrance.
As we were leaving, my friend asked if parking there was allowed. I laughed and said "It's a scooter!"
Then I spotted the ticket in my helmet.
"This vehicle's description has been PERMANENTLY RECORDED."
No contesting this ticket as they have no legal standing to fine me.

So yesterday I stopped at the new library downtown that has gotten a lot of letters to the editor about the terrible parking. Vast, unshaded plazas and long walks from all parking to the entrance.
I parked next to the bike rack and to be on the safe side, asked if that was ok for a scooter. Nobody knew.
But they did ask if it was "like a Vespa?"
"It's exactly like a Vespa!"
Got the ok for the day but they need to "check on that."

Think I'll shop and eat at Mom & Pop's and use the smaller library closer to home.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
It's called a "cultural imperative", John.
Perfect.
@disney avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa '09 GTS 250ie Super, '09 S150 (sold), Genuine '07 Buddy 125cc (sold)

Addicted
@disney avatar
Vespa '09 GTS 250ie Super, '09 S150 (sold), Genuine '07 Buddy 125cc (sold)
UTC quote
4n6iscool wrote:
Technically it is illegal that you covered/ obstructed you plate. Cop can totally lift the the cover to see your plate.

Suck it up and take the hit. It off sets all the times you didn't pay for parking. In six years of parking scoots I've been ticketed twice. Even with that I'm still ahead for all the times I didn't pay for parking.
I agree... It makes up for all the "free" parking you've done illegally. Karma? I'm an NYC'er as well and I feel your pain.

Now as for the "illegal/legal to look under the covers" story, I think that doesn't matter. How are you going to prove it and would you really even bring up that it was on the sidewalk? Lose lose situation for that.

I had a sidewalk ticket once or twice... I would just make up a story that my rear tire was a on the curb a bit further than it should've been. I even went as far as taking pictures and exaggerating the way I parked it "legally" making the rear tire go over the curb. Yeah, I lost that case. Haha.
@drweside avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
@drweside avatar
BV 350
UTC quote
Disney wrote:
4n6iscool wrote:

I agree... It makes up for all the "free" parking you've done illegally. Karma? I'm an NYC'er as well and I feel your pain.

Now as for the "illegal/legal to look under the covers" story, I think that doesn't matter. How are you going to prove it and would you really even bring up that it was on the sidewalk? Lose lose situation for that.

I had a sidewalk ticket once or twice... I would just make up a story that my rear tire was a on the curb a bit further than it should've been. I even went as far as taking pictures and exaggerating the way I parked it "legally" making the rear tire go over the curb. Yeah, I lost that case. Haha.
You guys need to forget about "legality". Parking tickets are not about enforcing the law, but about generating revenue. If you have the "law" on your side, go to the hearing with evidence proving you're "not guilty". There must not be any room for interpretation.

Otherwise, the administrative law judge will just laugh at you (on the inside) and, maybe, reduce your ticket. Those judges are not there to make it easier for us, they're part of the revenue collecting machinery.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20130526/ECONOMY/305269980/parking-tickets-all-in-the-cost-of-doing-business#
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125
UTC quote
You posted that you park under a pedestrian path. Do you think that people who don't have the luxury of 'free parking' observed this parking behavior by a bunch of motos, thought it was unfair and made a complaint?

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and if enough people b*tched about it because they take the subway, and it sucks of them.. they might have forced action against you guys parking in an area the parking authority previously turned a blind eye on.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Hendon exactly. It's a NYC thing. :lol:DR one would think since the cops ride Piaggios that they would be a little more tolerant.
@superk2 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super - Beau, Honda CTX700 - Big Red

Addicted
@superk2 avatar
GTS 300 Super - Beau, Honda CTX700 - Big Red
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
If it's a 'sidewalk dead-end' - why not get out there one dark night with some paint and paint some m/c parking spaces all the way down it. Make it look official, and the parking attendants will believe it - and I can't see anyone complaining.
+1. This is something I would be VERY tempted to do. Wear an orange vest and hard hat and put up some cones and you'll look official.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
SuperK2 wrote:
jimc wrote:
+1. This is something I would be VERY tempted to do. Wear an orange vest and hard hat and put up some cones and you'll look official.
Me too, seriously at my son's university they put up a couple of poles sports bikes and scooters could get through but cars (and bikes with big side cases couldn't) then posted it motorcycle only. Pyou needs parking sticker to park there legally but the sticker is free. So I might even pop a few dollars for a printed sign saying motorcycle parking if there is a good place to secure it.. L
Razz emoticon
@tonelar avatar
UTC

Hooked
Formula 125

Hooked
@tonelar avatar
Formula 125
UTC quote
Is there a two wheeled coalition in NYC? Just a thought.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
SuperK2 wrote:
jimc wrote:
And carry a clipboard. That is always the best official looking accessory.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
SuperK2 wrote:
jimc wrote:
I'm thinking Ghostbusters 2...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
How come I have to pay income tax? I know other people that don't pay income tax. Doesn't the Government had anything else better to do than bother me about my unpaid taxes. I dislike those IRS people and wish they would leave me alone. I think I'll appeal to a Judge that I shouldn't have to pay. I know I owe it, but there are surely other people that owe a lot more than me. Paying taxes is really inconvenient. (just saying )
@bluefoam avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX200

Hooked
@bluefoam avatar
PX200
UTC quote
In Dublin, in front of many old buildings there are glass paving blocks. They were used to allow some light into basements below. You can park your bike on them as they belong to the building owner, rather than the local authority once you are not causing a serious obstruction.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@bklyn_quattro avatar
UTC

Addicted
'15 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@bklyn_quattro avatar
'15 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
How come I have to pay income tax? I know other people that don't pay income tax. Doesn't the Government had anything else better to do than bother me about my unpaid taxes. I dislike those IRS people and wish they would leave me alone. I think I'll appeal to a Judge that I shouldn't have to pay. I know I owe it, but there are surely other people that owe a lot more than me. Paying taxes is really inconvenient. (just saying )
You wouldn't have to appeal to a judge, the government would just garnish your wages; but you already knew that.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0243s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0027s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]