UTC

Hooked
2006 GT125

Hooked
@inchvale avatar
2006 GT125
UTC quote
HI Guys,
I just ordered these Carbone rear shocks from SIP on a complete whim last night. I'm in the process of replacing the rear suspension bushings with Jettin bushings and got a mad notion to change the shocks as well.
I have a new Malossi RS24 on the front which is fantastic (feels like a new scoot) but at 250 Euro for a pair for the rear I thought I'd go with a cheaper option. The Carbone are 150 Euro for the pair which is pretty reasonable.
I'll post my findings.
Does anyone have any experience with these Carbone shocks? Are they any good? it's a bit late now I suppose as they are on route from Germany

thanks,
Frank
These are the shocks
These are the shocks
OP
@inchvale avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT125

Hooked
@inchvale avatar
2006 GT125
UTC quote
Carbone shocks- Installed & thoughts
Well I fitted the Carbone Shocks and am currently assessing them. I probably committed the mortal sin of changing too much at once by also installing jettin Bushings at the same time. The result is a MUCH stiffer ride and one that I am still getting used to. No doubt, there was a lot more "give" with the OEM shocks, particularly on corners. The new shocks and bushings cause the bike to sit a lot more upright. I haven't quite decided if that is a good or a bad thing at the moment.
The bike suspension is now like new as I also recently installed the Malossi RS24 on the front, so I think there is a lot more tweaking & adjustment to be done to get the optimal ride quality for me.I have the Carbone shocks set on their midway setting, and the same for the RS24. My wife has said she now feels a noticeable positive difference when she is on the back and is more comfortable ride for her.
Few Thoughts:
- Installation of the carbonbe shocks was relatively straight forward- I followed the Wiki article on here. remember to do one at a time, much easier.
-There is no way to hold the carbone shock shaft and torque it when installing the top shock fastening bolt. I just had to wing it and squeeze it down good and tight. It's 25 NM according to the manual, which I think will be ok.
-Installation took about 3 hours but it was my first time and I was taking it easy.
The jettin Bushings go on easy and are a direct replacement for the OEM rubbers- no problem.
-Adjustment of the Carbone shocks is not easy- it's ok on the exhaust side as one has plenty of room, but I found that on the transmission side I have had to loosen and re-position the air filter box in order to get at the adjustment. The tool that Carbone supply is pretty useless.

All in all, they seem like a good, inexpensive and well made OEM replacement shock absorber when one doesn't have the funds to go for the Malossi or Bitubo option. I'm definitely impressed with the ride quality and feel a lot more comfortable on the road and am not getting thrashed by the (many) potholes over here. I think they will need some time to loosen up (ditto for the malossi) so I will hold back on full judgement for another 500KM or so. However, at the moment, if I was asked to recommend them, I would say YES.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0085s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0026s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]