@stockers08 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 GTS Super Sport

Enthusiast
@stockers08 avatar
2018 GTS Super Sport
UTC quote
Had my MOT today for my et4. passed flying colours. only issue was VIN number on bike didn't match system so i took my log book and log book showed incorrect VIN number (was missing three 0's). Bloke said its fine no worries he corrected mistake on MOT and said DVLA will send a letter through once they pick up on discrepancy and it can be changed. Thats all fine!!

However, he said if i have a collision my insurance is void if VIN number is incorrect. My insurance is up for renewal in 2 weeks and it takes about 4 weeks to get log book back so the question is can I buy my insurance today and then sort VIN number out? or will that void my insurance still? do i have to change my VIN number, get my log book back and then insure it??
OP
@stockers08 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 GTS Super Sport

Enthusiast
@stockers08 avatar
2018 GTS Super Sport
UTC quote
he said when I renew my insurance i need to make sure i "put in" the right VIN number. but you never "put in" your VIN number when you're getting insurance so I don't understand.

Cheers for any help
OP
@stockers08 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 GTS Super Sport

Enthusiast
@stockers08 avatar
2018 GTS Super Sport
UTC quote
no replies.. maybe the subject is too boring for you MVers.....
UTC

Enthusiast
09 GTV 250

Enthusiast
09 GTV 250
UTC quote
maybe ask your insurance agent directly about this VIN issue?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Give 'em a chance - this has only been up for half an hour!

As long as you've informed the DVLA then that's fine, you've done your 'duty'. Actually receiving the V5 back is irrelevant. If you really want you can explain the situation to the ins. co. - but honestly they won't really be interested.
@ikevin avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Super Sport SE

Hooked
@ikevin avatar
GTS 300 Super Sport SE
UTC quote
Call your insurance company. They can correct it in their system.

I once had a car I drove for two years and one day I noticed the tag registration AND the insurance had different VIN for the car. Neither of which was correct. I called the insurance and they fixed it over the phone. When I renewed my tag I mentioned it to the DMV...they didn't care, only wanted my money and me out of their way. I drove it for another year with the VIN on the tag receipt having the wrong number.
OP
@stockers08 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 GTS Super Sport

Enthusiast
@stockers08 avatar
2018 GTS Super Sport
UTC quote
so I'm good to go with purchasing my insurance before i get the VIN number changed?

the issue I'm facing is whether I have to wait for the VIN to be changed before i purchase insurance or if I can purchase insurance with my scoot registered with the wrong VIN and then change it afterwards.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
stockers08 wrote:
so I'm good to go with purchasing my insurance before i get the VIN number changed?

the issue I'm facing is whether I have to wait for the VIN to be changed before i purchase insurance or if I can purchase insurance with my scoot registered with the wrong VIN and then change it afterwards.
Since none of us can bind your insurance company with our answers, the best answer is to contact your insurance company and put it in their lap.
@honeybadger avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 (2) MotoGuzzi California 1400

Molto Verboso
@honeybadger avatar
MP3 500 (2) MotoGuzzi California 1400
UTC quote
I would have a hard time believing it would be a major issue in a claim. But call the insurer anyway.

You've done your part by supplying the info and payment. If a claim came up, then look at all the other info that is right: year, make, the other digits of the VIN, etc. I bet it would just be chalked up to a data entry error because the zeroes were mistaken as non digits.

It sounds like your inspector was in nitpicky "chicken little" mode and he tweaked you over it.

Just call your agent, and go ride the hell out of your bike.....
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Purchase the insurance anyway - do NOT let that run out. The V5 stuff can wait - insurance cover can't.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Re: VIN number discrepancy - Voids insurance?
stockers08 wrote:
However, he said if i have a collision my insurance is void if VIN number is incorrect.
The VIN as you said has been rectified so it is no longer incorrect. Call the insurance company and have it rectified with them as well. It is easily done.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
If they give you any grief with the insurance say it is a clerical error and needs to be corrected. Take a picture of the VIN and send it to them.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0109s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0016s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]