@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
Mrs. Gogogordy and I have been in a residential transitional phase of our lives here lately (read: new to us smaller home, single story ) and inasmuch I'm finding the new garage situation is...well taking some getting used to like a new pair of shoes...

While we went from 3 car garage, to a 3 car garage we formerly were a 3 bay wide (3 in 1)arrangement which housed 2 small cars, 4 small scooters, 3 assorted bicycles, and a cast of thousands (of boxes. Of...what? I don't even know) Add in my substantial-for-an-amateur parts inventory, tools, and riding gear and after 13 years...it all seemed to work. Fung Shui...workflow, ambiance, etc.cll it what you will.

Flash forward to our new (hopefully last) house and we are now in a 2 car/1 car arrangement and I'm still working out some of the details. For instance...the garages are on polar opposite side2 of the house, and although we are still moving/settling in, it seems like the tool or hardware I need is ALWAYS in the "other garage". The one I'm not in at the time.

The spatial consequences of completely dividing the same area into that 2 & 1 config. vs the former 3-in-1 has exhibited both plusses and minuses as is usually the case, but the upshot is the new arrangement all but eliminates using any floor-space (more precious now) for sundry storage.

My question is does anyone have or use any unique or overlooked storage solutions which won't encroach on floor-space, or protrude from the walls in their garage? Something easily accessed yet completely out the way?

Suggestions? Pictures?
New center of our scooter-universe
New center of our scooter-universe
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
Matt,

My garage is a 3 in one but I have a wall separating the single from the double. So it's kind of like your situation except that the walk between the 1 and the 2 is very short. I use a lot of ceiling hanging storage to try and relieve the space crunch. I like the ceiling racks that can be lowered on cables to make loading heavy items easier. I only store things that I don't need frequently in the hanging racks.

Edit: I also use hooks to hang the bicycles from the ceiling. The downside is Debbie needs help getting her bike down. But nice to not have to squeeze past them.

-Craig
⚠️ Last edited by caschnd1 on UTC; edited 1 time
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S
UTC quote
I think Craig nailed this one with the ceiling racks/shelves that can be lowered via cables or pulleys.
@tor2ga avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Looking for the next one, probably electric

Ossessionato
@tor2ga avatar
Looking for the next one, probably electric
UTC quote
Strick wrote:
I think Craig nailed this one with the ceiling racks/shelves that can be lowered via cables or pulleys.
Yep, he got it.

Also look at the space over your overhead garage doors (when they are in the up position.) If your ceiling is high enough this can be a lot of useful but often overlooked space. There are kits around to do this. If your ceiling is finished don't be afraid to bash holes in the dry wall to get hooks over the joists. You might want to do this when Mrs is not around. Laughing emoticon
@flordian avatar
UTC

Rocket Man
GTS 300 ABS 'Drake', GTS 250 (sold), LX 150 and Delta IV rocket. ( Retired. Not my problem anymore)

Rocket Man
@flordian avatar
GTS 300 ABS 'Drake', GTS 250 (sold), LX 150 and Delta IV rocket. ( Retired. Not my problem anymore)
UTC quote
Storage ideas
I have a great time looking at a particular web site that users submit their ideas. It's called http://www.pinterest.com

You have to sign up with an email address, but no spamming crap. In the search bar, just put garage storage. Hundreds of cool and inexpensive ideas.

Beware, don't share site with wife! LOL
@gr8shotz00 avatar
UTC

Hooked
13 Vespa 300GTV, 05 Burgman 650, 2013 BV 350

Hooked
@gr8shotz00 avatar
13 Vespa 300GTV, 05 Burgman 650, 2013 BV 350
UTC quote
I am going to do ceiling racks in mine too. I have a 12 foot ceiling so I can put a row 10' long by 4' wide right over the door. I can only access it when the door is closed, but thats ok.

I saw some on Amazon that have a crank that attaches to a drill and you can lower and raise them out of the way. I thought about these too down the middle.
OP
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
Re: Storage ideas
flordian wrote:
Beware, don't share site with wife! LOL
Uh, she balances the checkbook (After I un- balance it)

Yes, will check, Pinterest....when nobody's looking.

Thanks for the input everyone!
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125
UTC quote
I saw this today on deadspin and thought of your post.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GHO9FK?tag=deadspinamzn-20&ascsubtag=[referrer|deadspin.com[type|link[postId|1582171946[asin|B004GHO9FK[authorId|5727177402741770316

Any resolve yet?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
Shebalba wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GHO9FK?tag=deadspinamzn-20&ascsubtag=[referrer|deadspin.com[type|link[postId|1582171946[asin|B004GHO9FK[authorId|5727177402741770316

Any resolve yet?
I like that. Want to put some of those above the garage door rails, in what is totally un-used space. Easily accessed? Not so much. Not terrible though. Will need the door down to get to them.

I haven't come to a full conclusion, but I am getting there....trying to think things out twice, and act once (counter-intuitive to me!)

Overhead storage will be key. Thanks.
@voneschenbach avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly

Ossessionato
@voneschenbach avatar
A fracking cage sadly
UTC quote
Shebalba wrote:

Any resolve yet?
Seattle for a while required townhouses to have a 1-car garage in order to meet zoning/permitting rules. So the developers would build a garage that might fit a classic mini or a Fiat 500 if you were real careful. Consequently, every time I see on of our townhouse neighbor garage doors up, invariably they have installed a bunch of these to turn their garage into a dense storage area with bicycles below.
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Temporarily Scooterless... :(

Ossessionato
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC quote
Above posts are right on regarding making use of ceiling/upper wall spaces...

Might add - if you are REALLY wanting to commit to the idea of expanding your space - you might want to look at attic space as well if it is available above the garage ceilings. You can add a 'hatch'/foldable stairs - lay some plywood out on the ceiling joists - etc. You could go whole-hog and reconfigure with a larger opening and semi-permanent shelving in that space that is viewable/accessible from below (may require qualified engineering/contracting work).

Some things can even be mounted/strapped to the insides of garage doors if flat enough/light enough.

Edit: take an inventory of what you have to see whether or not 'stock' shelving is the most efficient use of space for your stuff. A lot of times there winds up being a huge waste of space (shelves are too deep or too tall for your things). If so, consider doing custom shelving - it doesn't have to be expensive (1X planks and shelf brackets) - that can be adjusted to perfectly fit your stuff with no wasted square footage...

Interested in seeing what you come up with!

Desi B.
@lc353 avatar
UTC

Addicted
nope
Location: I'm going there, but I like it here, wherever this is.

Addicted
@lc353 avatar
nope
Location: I'm going there, but I like it here, wherever this is.
UTC quote
Really wish I had a picture to show you but...

In a kill-3-birds-with-1-stone idea...you could build an indoor ramp on one side of the scooter garage that runs the full length of the garage, front to back. Make it wide enough to park all 4 scoots on top of it & high enough to be useful as a 'lift' to make working on the scooters easier. The space underneath would be used to store all your tools so they'd be literally inches away whenever you need them. I'm thinking at least 4' wide, 2' tall & run the length of the entire garage. It won't be cheap or easy...but it would be awesome. Just my 2 cents.
@vespinado avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'12 GTS 300 Super

Molto Verboso
@vespinado avatar
'12 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Matt,
I put in some nice folding stairs into the attic that opened up a fair amount of extra storage. They are aluminum instead of wood and very sturdy. Good luck on finding what you need!
OP
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
vespinado wrote:
Matt,
I put in some nice folding stairs into the attic that opened up a fair amount of extra storage. They are aluminum instead of wood and very sturdy. Good luck on finding what you need!
I like that idea. Here through about half the year the attic gets too hot to make it tenable, and can make storing certain things (items susceptable to heat breakdown....tires, fluids, etc) unwise.

I know it also gets hot in your neck, does heat play in to your in-attic storage arrangement?
@yayadave avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250

Ossessionato
@yayadave avatar
MP3 500 - GTV250
UTC quote
gogogordy wrote:
vespinado wrote:
Matt,
I like that idea. Here through about half the year the attic gets too hot to make it tenable, and can make storing certain things (items susceptable to heat breakdown....tires, fluids, etc) unwise.

I know it also gets hot in your neck, does heat play in to your in-attic storage arrangement?
Can you affix a thermostatically controlled exhaust fan up there? Would that help?
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
Congrats on the move Matt!

The suggestion of ceiling storage is great. Another option is getting thin, upper cabinets. Old kitchen uppers from the re-store would work, and putting them up high enough to be out of the way - possibly along the back wall above the bench. You can store a lot of "stuff" in shelves like this. Ask me how I know... Razz emoticon

Again, congrats brother!
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC quote
YaYaDave wrote:
gogogordy wrote:
vespinado wrote:
Matt,

Can you affix a thermostatically controlled exhaust fan up there? Would that help?
You can even do a 'self contained' solar powered one that wouldn't require any wiring at all if you are up to the task...
@vespinado avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'12 GTS 300 Super

Molto Verboso
@vespinado avatar
'12 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
gogogordy wrote:
vespinado wrote:
Matt,

Yep, you called it. You do have to be careful what you store up there. Even some of the cheaper plastic containers got out of shape. Now I just use the ones I get at Costco.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0164s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0038s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]