OP
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT 200

Hooked
2006 GT 200
UTC quote
Changing out my belt today on the GT 200 and reading Salty Dodd's excellent post on this from back in '08, there was a fellow who posted in, Stareem, who recommended removing the variator backplate and using it as 'backing' when replacing the roller side as a unit, to keep the rollers and shoes from falling out.

That sounds great and would cure that problem, but mine seems stuck in place and won't budge. I haven't used much pressure on it, but dribbled a bit of WD40 on the shaft to encourage it, still no go.

Does this thing actually come out, or is it meant to be fixed in there?

Thanks
@hachi avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 GT 200

Ossessionato
@hachi avatar
2005 GT 200
UTC quote
LapinAgile, it comes out. The first time that I changed my belt I used a small rubber mallet to pop it loose. Others say to wiggle and pull it to get it loose. The inner half pulley, rollers, guide shoes, back plate and bushing go back in as one unit.
OP
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT 200

Hooked
2006 GT 200
UTC quote
That's great news Hachi, thanks. It'll make replacement easier and give me a chance to clean it and the area behind.

This belt was in for only 3478 miles, but it was installed in late '05 on an '06 and it was badly glazed and shiny. Getting home recently after 75 miles on the slab at WOT it smelled badly of burning rubber near the bike. It reminded me of going through Akron Ohio where Goodyear made tires. Very glad for the new one with summer coming here!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0073s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0014s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]