@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Damn near bought it this morning - thank God teh cagers were paying attention. Coming up to a light at an intersection I turn left. Saw a big puddle of what looked like AC condensate on the road - no choice but to roll through it. Now thinking it was just water I didn't slow down all that much.
Guess what - it was oil. Lots of fresh motor oil. Shit got on my boots and while I didn't go all the way down it was a royal PITA to haul that bike up with slippery boots. Only one cager got out and that was to point out the obvious - there was an oil spot in the road that made me slip... :dopeslap:
So - never assume the benign - they really are out to get you.

PS: I know some folks advocate going down with their bike rather than risk breaking an ankle. I call BS - this is the 3rd time this year that "peg legging" saved me from going down. So as long as speed is relatively slow you can save yourself a lot of grief by simply using a stiff leg to get her back upright.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Glad you saved it. When I hit some diesel a couple years ago I was down before I realized what was happening. Ended with outpatient surgery.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Wow bubba. glad you escaped with just dirty underwear.

Good reminder for folks that anything on the surface can be nasty.
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Thanks guys - I'm pretty sure it must have come from the bed of a pickup since it was literally a square patch almost the width of the lane and about 2 feet "long". There were no tracks from it so I must have been the first.
All I know is it took half a roll of paper towels and Windex to get that shit off my boots - man was it slick.
One of the guys who came in after said the firetruck was there cleaning it up.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
The deputy that helped get my butt up off the road called a Hazmat team to clean up the diesel and said he was going to stay at the intersection with his lights on and try to warn anyone else on a bike until it was cleaned up.
UTC

Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3

Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3
UTC quote
I've told myself to stick my leg out if I go down @ slow speed, but unfortunately I've gotten my left leg pinned under a scooter twice. The last time I just had loafers on and was able to squeeze my foot out by itself. 1 time I was on a slope and was literally thrown off the scooter and did a somersault. Laughing emoticon Luckily my body survived but not so much the scooter.

Getting old is not for the faint of heart.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
Re: Make no assumptions
BubbaJon wrote:
PS: I know some folks advocate going down with their bike rather than risk breaking an ankle. I call BS - this is the 3rd time this year that "peg legging" saved me from going down. So as long as speed is relatively slow you can save yourself a lot of grief by simply using a stiff leg to get her back upright.
I did this one time at about 5mph. Sprained my ankle and went down anyway.

YMMV.
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Re: Make no assumptions
mpfrank wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
I did this one time at about 5mph. Sprained my ankle and went down anyway.

YMMV.
My wrist and bicep is sore from holding that pig up with one arm until I could dismount and grab the rear rail to hoist her back up - this with oily boots. That intersection is already known as being very slippery from years of traffic.
I'm sure it was highly entertaining for the cagers to watch...

PS: Oh - and I dearly wished for a clutch this one time as o course I went down towards the right so I was trying to hold it up while NOT turning the throttle. In my single minded desire to not let the bike drop I totally forgot to hit the run switch.
@carolan avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 400 "Orion"

Addicted
@carolan avatar
MP3 400 "Orion"
UTC quote
Glad you're okay!

I have no illusions I can hold Merlin up. If she tips, she's going down and I'm gettin' outta the way.
@yayadave avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250

Ossessionato
@yayadave avatar
MP3 500 - GTV250
UTC quote
Carolan wrote:
If she tips, she's going down and I'm gettin' outta the way.
Might just make that my new safety mantra.
UTC

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco, 1973 Norton Commando 850

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco, 1973 Norton Commando 850
UTC quote
Glad you're OK BJ.

My mantra has always been "Ride Scared". It's served me well for about 46 years now! Razz emoticon

Like stickyfrog, last time I went down I didn't even see the slick until I was on my back! Luckily the truck driver behind me was paying attention!
@sanogeo1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500

Molto Verboso
@sanogeo1 avatar
Red Mp 3 500
UTC quote
When I went down with the scooter I broke my ankle anyway, tried to hold it up and got my ankle caught between the scooter and the curb. I felt my ankle bending back and to one side as the scooter slide along the curb for a few feet. Got the two week xray and everything is healing fine. Three to four more weeks with the boot. I am missing some great riding weather here in central Oklahoma. Down side is I hit a stump with the riding mower a couple of days ago, bent blade and deck. 650 if I fix it my self. I am going to try and beat the deck straight. They want 500 just for the deck. Oh also bent shaft on one blade. May is just a bad month for me to ride anything I guess.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
I always assume it's oil or coolant and avoid it
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
Carolan wrote:
I have no illusions I can hold Merlin up. If she tips, she's going down and I'm gettin' outta the way.
Gotta agree with that. If I tried "peg legging" as bubba was able to do, I'd probably be a real pegleg ever after. Loretta outweighs me >3 to 1, so no contest!

. . . .
OP
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
BravoTwoFour wrote:
Carolan wrote:
Gotta agree with that. If I tried "peg legging" as bubba was able to do, I'd probably be a real pegleg ever after. Loretta outweighs me >3 to 1, so no contest!

. . . .
LOL - y'all musta never rode dirtbikes...
I must emphasize that well-fitting boots are a prerequisite.
@sanogeo1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500

Molto Verboso
@sanogeo1 avatar
Red Mp 3 500
UTC quote
Plus.1.on the good fitting boots.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0179s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0072s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]