74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
Ginch wrote:
jackson85 wrote:
If you moubt the spare beside it like in the photo you could try rig it like the old vw and use the tyres air pressure to pump the juice to your main tank.
That is effing brilliant Jackson! I never believe that stuff they say about you anyway.

Would be interesting to know how well the system works, how much pressure you'd need, and what you do after you get a flat? But I love it, thanks.
Can't be bothered to do the maths but 1psi ~ 28in of water (can push water 27 inches up hill). Gasoline is lighter so would it would go even higher. In any case you would need a pressure regulator. On the plus side, you could make a cap for that tank with an air line in and a fuel line out.
Thanks for that. So it can "pump" the fuel high enough - I guess the question is, how much air is left in the tyre after pushing the fuel into the main tank?
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
If th spraygum setup I used on th weekend was anything to go by, it ran on about 20psi, & once pumped up lasted for ages, ..
in a tank application pressure would lower as fuel reduces, so mostly it stays th same.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
I suppose I could rig something up to give it a try off the scooter.
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
@quervin avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa PX125 Kitted 'n stuff. Lambretta GP150.

Hooked
@quervin avatar
UTC quote
Today I got excited about this........
Yeah, I know. I gotta get myself a life.....
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned
3:5

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC quote
or this one in your toolkit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Pump-Cycle-Mountain-Bike-Tyre-Inflator-Air-Pump-Dunlop-Presta-Schrader-/191116161033?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item2c7f693009

the pumps intended for mountain bikes work well as they pump higher volumes at lower pressure. fills a patched scooter tire quick enough.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Quervin wrote:
Yeah, I know. I gotta get myself a life.....
It might be time to take a step back when you find yourself becoming interested in frilly underwear for your scooter.
@quervin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@quervin avatar
UTC quote
I will not rest until my Vespa has nothing short of stunning under-garments.
Then, I'm going to fully grease myself up and give it a good f.....

Ahem, sorry.

Anyway, I'm off to trim the nobbles off the tyres. I love a smooth tyre me... Clown emoticon
@quervin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@quervin avatar
UTC quote
Oh yeah....and another thing...
Well, we had a big argument and my scooter stormed off in a huff.

Four hours later I found it on a hillside searching for inspiration and stinking of hookers and cheap wine.

After some counseling we are starting to paper over the cracks a little.

I know. It's a sad, yet beautiful story.
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
T5 Pole Position, T for thoroughbred

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
That's a very smart panel
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
I do generally carry a bicycle pump, that's a good thought. Ideally I guess you would get down to reserve on the main tank, then let the air start to pressurise the yellow tank... slowly enough so it doesn't overflow? Haven't really worked out the finer details, I was going to use an electric pump. These are about 12 watts I think.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400605402025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Got a new puppy.
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
Bobo wrote:
Got a new puppy.
AWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Bobo wrote:
Got a new puppy.
That's how it starts Bob! Next you'll be asking people for opinions on what colour cup holder goes with your outfit.

Pretty cute though!
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
I only got her because she matches my Louis Vuitton handbag.
@warhorse avatar
UTC

Hooked
'80 Bajaj chetak, '05 LML

Hooked
@warhorse avatar
UTC quote
Ginch, I like the tank, looks great. You could just use one of these mounted on the floor and use your foot to pump when needed. If you mount a vertical clear riser tube after the pump
You'd also have a visual fuel level indicator for your main tank.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/311077596817
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Warhorse wrote:
Ginch, I like the tank, looks great. You could just use one of these mounted on the floor and use your foot to pump when needed. If you mount a vertical clear riser tube after the pump
Cool idea Phil! I wonder how long it would take to pump a tankful? I like the clear tube fuel guage too... no worries about accuracy.
@warhorse avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@warhorse avatar
UTC quote
Ginch wrote:
Warhorse wrote:
Cool idea Phil! I wonder how long it would take to pump a tankful? I like the clear tube fuel guage too... no worries about accuracy.
No idea how much they pump, maybe there are larger versions available. You could mount it under your seat so it pumps for every bump Razz emoticon
@sara_alexandra avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX232 Lambretta li s3, Vespa cross, Vespa cross prototype, Honda NS400r....

Hooked
@sara_alexandra avatar
UTC quote
Ginch wrote:
Went to Mods & Rockers Melbourne today. Poor attendance compared to previous years for a few reasons, only one of which was the weather. And... I won best Vespa!! Now that was a surprise, as anyone who's seen mine up close can attest to. Apparently the guys with the good Vespas rode off before the judging!

Also tried the fit of my new long-range tank - I'm really pleased with it as I haven't seen anyone else with a tank like this. And it holds 14, maybe 15 litres, enough to give me a range of perhaps 300 k's!! Just need a pump, a mounting sytem and decide what colour to paint it.

[URL=http://s803.photobucket.com/user/cuckoobird4/media/978ad0b4-5a82-4e05-88c8-a8db549d6178_zps25af10d4.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]

[URL=http://s803.photobucket.com/user/cuckoobird4/media/3238d05a-c5b1-4c5c-9812-862cd26d4e87_zps7c63abc8.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]

[URL=http://s803.photobucket.com/user/cuckoobird4/media/6467c2cb-e6fd-46ea-a7f1-2114381f1492_zps5aaf279e.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]
Nice job Ginch Pretty cool fuel container, makes me think about a bigger fuel tank.

Sara
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
I like using the air in your spare
Ginch wrote:
It's a purpose-made fuel container, it has pressed on one side the words "fuel can" and the manufacturer "Valcan". It has bent metal feet spot welded to the bottom.
I found it in an antique store in a small town near here... they had the usual oil pouring bottles and containers and then I saw this. Took me a minute to realise what I could do with it! It was $45.
Good eye for spotting that and recognizing its potential! The proportions & size are perfect and it looks great on your bike.

Challenge for you Google experts: see if you can find us something similar that's still being made & sold somewhere - gotta be possible, even likely.
Ginch wrote:
jackson85 wrote:
If you moubt the spare beside it like in the photo you could try rig it like the old vw and use the tyres air pressure to pump the juice to your main tank.
That is effing brilliant Jackson! I never believe that stuff they say about you anyway.

Would be interesting to know how well the system works, how much pressure you'd need, and what you do after you get a flat? But I love it, thanks.
I've been thinking about the simplest possible solution, and it seems to me that if you're gonna pressurize the tank, you'll need to use a low pressure regulator in your system. You could experiment to see how low you could set it and still push the gas uphill to the tank. I'm guessing maybe just a 1/2 PSI would do it.

This would use less air and subject the tank to minimum pressure(gotta remember safety with several liters of gas under pressure between your legs ) I don't think using the tank itself as the air 'reservoir' is a good idea, but the spare is designed to hold pressure. Carry a pump too so you can keep it topped up on your long runs thru the boonies.

Now, figure out how to get a float & needle valve setup inside your tank & it'll be automatic! Or even better, an explosion proof float switch hooked to a 12V solenoid valve should work.

PS I'm jealous
@pfh avatar
UTC

Hooked
'80 P200E, '09 Buddy 150 Italia

Hooked
@pfh avatar
'80 P200E, '09 Buddy 150 Italia
UTC quote
My old '69 VW Beetle got its windshield washer pressure from the spare tire up front. A hose went from the valve stem into the tank, which sat inside the wheel. Another hose went to the wash button, then on to the wash jets.

There was a little check valve that kept you from using all your air. I'll bet you could do something with some old VW parts.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
aint that a bitch v v v
^^^ yes sir it is!

My front/right turn signal lens got smashed when my bike was blown over some months back so I ordered a set of BGM smoked lenses.. and they're for a "px" I've got a P, so I'm thinking the actual light housing is a bit different on the PX..

The screw holes line up, and it's on and serving it's purpose, but there's a gap on the side closest to the horncast.. and that's gonna keep me up at night I know.. the "smokieness" isn't nearly as dark as the old Bosata I had on there either!

Oh well it'll do for now..

grumble grumble grumble

@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
I've got a couple of 1/4" solenoid a if you want one, I planned to use them to turn nitrous on/off
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
SubEtherBASS wrote:
I've got a couple of 1/4" solenoid a if you want one, I planned to use them to turn nitrous on/off
12v DC?
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Re: I like using the air in your spare
V oodoo wrote:
Ginch wrote:
It's a purpose-made fuel container, it has pressed on one side the words "fuel can" and the manufacturer "Valcan". It has bent metal feet spot welded to the bottom.
I found it in an antique store in a small town near here... they had the usual oil pouring bottles and containers and then I saw this. Took me a minute to realise what I could do with it! It was $45.
Good eye for spotting that and recognizing its potential! The proportions & size are perfect and it looks great on your bike.

Challenge for you Google experts: see if you can find us something similar that's still being made & sold somewhere - gotta be possible, even likely.
The shop was shut for about 4 weeks and they weren't answering their phone... I was thinking that if I wasn't able to get it, one could probably be made by cutting down a 20 litre drum - guess that's 5 gallons for you - and joining the top and bottom back together somehow. Probably would need to use that liquid fuel tank liner stuff.
V oodoo wrote:
Ginch wrote:
jackson85 wrote:

I've been thinking about the simplest possible solution, and it seems to me that if you're gonna pressurize the tank, you'll need to use a low pressure regulator in your system. You could experiment to see how low you could set it and still push the gas uphill to the tank. I'm guessing maybe just a 1/2 PSI would do it.

This would use less air and subject the tank to minimum pressure(gotta remember safety with several liters of gas under pressure between your legs ) I don't think using the tank itself as the air 'reservoir' is a good idea, but the spare is designed to hold pressure. Carry a pump too so you can keep it topped up on your long runs thru the boonies.

Now, figure out how to get a float & needle valve setup inside your tank & it'll be automatic! Or even better, an explosion proof float switch hooked to a 12V solenoid valve should work.

PS I'm jealous
+ One question is, do you pump it up to the normal tank or directly to the carb? I've read somewhere about a small header tank which is located just under the hole under the seat - so forward of the regular tank. If that tank had a needle-and-seat style inlet valve, then the air would lift the fuel in that tank until it filled. I'm not quite sure if a regulator would suit as they are pretty bulky and expensive aren't they?

+ You could use a P tank and the float for the gauge could be used as a trigger to turn on the pump (from the auxilliary tank) when it gets down low... assuming an electric pump.

+ I just remembered that SU carbs have a fuel bowl, needle and seat that bolts to the main body of the carb. That might be adapted as a standalone fuel reservoir and valve.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
Ginch wrote:
SubEtherBASS wrote:
12v DC?
Yip, 12v DC. They were off an Ag Sprayer., tiny ones, I'll dig it out next time I crawl into my hobbit cave
@sara_alexandra avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sara_alexandra avatar
UTC quote
Ginch wrote:
SubEtherBASS wrote:
12v DC?
I have a fuelpump, wich works with depression, i could make a Y-connection with a fuel valve to the extra tank. You close your main tank fuel valve and open the extra fuel valve. You can ride on that tank for maybe 200km until its empty. Then you close the extra fuel valve and open the main one.

Sara
@quervin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@quervin avatar
UTC quote
Managed to intercept the postie this morning before the present Mrs Quervin discovered my most recent purchases and pushed harder for a divorce or more shopping money.....Mwuuhahahaha....*

*makes evil laugh type noise, sweeps cape around shoulders and exits stage left
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC quote
a few choice points:

if you use tire pressure then the pressurized tank needs to be sealed.
if you use a pump then there are a bunch of ways to go:
1. flow to the bottom tank and pump to the carb (risk overflowing lower tank if it does not seal well)
2. pump from the low tank to the top tank and gravity to the carb. (have to turn on and off the pump and make sure you don't overflow the top tank)
3. Y connector on the two tanks (the stock vespa tap will flow fuel up the vent line even when it's off, BGM tap does not have this issue)
4. pump to a small tank that feeds the carb with an over flow to the top tank and then flow to the bottom tank. (This is the route I'm thinking of going on my smallframe so I can fill it up from one fuel cap. requires large hoses connecting the tanks)

edit: Dellorto made remote floats as well, they are all over ebay.
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
I get the stuff delivered to work to avoid drama at home
@quervin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@quervin avatar
UTC quote
A cunning ploy Jackson. It'd probably save the look of wide-eyed fear from the postman as I run at him full pelt waving my arms like a fucking lunatic...
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
jackson85 wrote:
I get the stuff delivered to work to avoid drama at home
^ Should post this under Random Tips & Tricks.
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
Quervin wrote:
Managed to intercept the postie this morning before the present Mrs Quervin discovered my most recent purchases and pushed harder for a divorce or more shopping money.....Mwuuhahahaha....*

PHBH?
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
You may recall an issue with main tank draining into reserve tank, & leaning things out (as well as covering following scoot rider in petrol as it came out th overflow pipe), so you will need to sort out th fuel transfer issues.
@quervin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@quervin avatar
UTC quote
ScooterRaton wrote:
Quervin wrote:

PHBH?
Yes 28mm PHBH....let the seventh circle of hell that is tuning begin!
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Sara Alexandra wrote:
Ginch wrote:
SubEtherBASS wrote:
12v DC?
I have a fuelpump, wich works with depression, i could make a Y-connection with a fuel valve to the extra tank. You close your main tank fuel valve and open the extra fuel valve. You can ride on that tank for maybe 200km until its empty. Then you close the extra fuel valve and open the main one.

Sara
Sara is that a vacuum pump? I think Malossi make them. I wonder if it would work over a longer distance and much greater lift - perhaps 200mm from the bottom of the tank to the carb bowl?
oopsclunkthud wrote:
a few choice points:

if you use tire pressure then the pressurized tank needs to be sealed.
if you use a pump then there are a bunch of ways to go:
1. flow to the bottom tank and pump to the carb (risk overflowing lower tank if it does not seal well)
2. pump from the low tank to the top tank and gravity to the carb. (have to turn on and off the pump and make sure you don't overflow the top tank)
3. Y connector on the two tanks (the stock vespa tap will flow fuel up the vent line even when it's off, BGM tap does not have this issue)
4. pump to a small tank that feeds the carb with an over flow to the top tank and then flow to the bottom tank. (This is the route I'm thinking of going on my smallframe so I can fill it up from one fuel cap. requires large hoses connecting the tanks)

edit: Dellorto made remote floats as well, they are all over ebay.
Thanks Patrick. The lid on the tank seems adequate but whether it could hold up under pressure is a concern.
1. The lid of both tanks appear to be pretty much level, leaving that option open.
2. If a remote float bowl was placed up high near the vent under the seat, and the bowl and tank connected, then when the level in the tank dropped so would the bowl - opening the needle and seat in the remote and allowing the tank to fill.
3. I have a BGM so I could use the Y... it would need in line taps to isolate the tanks, otherwise when the aux. tank is low the main tank would run into it. Not so sure if that's a bad thing if fuel was pumped to the carb from there in the first place?
4. I guess smaller hose would work to level the tanks, except as you say for filling. I'm ok filling the 2.

I had a look at those Dellorto remotes... cheapest I saw was $350!! So if I go that way then the SU would do fine I think... I know a couple of people who may have something kicking around or you can buy it new for about 35 pounds UK.
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
Quervin wrote:
ScooterRaton wrote:
Quervin wrote:

PHBH?
We will be neighbors! I have a 30mm on the P200 and just bought another one.
@quervin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@quervin avatar
UTC quote
ScooterRaton wrote:
Quervin wrote:
ScooterRaton wrote:
Quervin wrote:

PHBH?
Good work Scoot'! I'm gonna do my utmost not to blow mine up....
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
Quervin wrote:
ScooterRaton wrote:
Quervin wrote:
ScooterRaton wrote:
Quervin wrote:

PHBH?
Good work Scoot'! I'm gonna do my utmost not to blow mine up....
We will need to compare notes, hopefully none blow up (not mine, not mine, not mine)
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
hunter
ive a spaco 28mm with both flip n pull choke a malossi manifold with rubber n a mikuni pump in the shed ...... you peeps need to run a wanted before buying
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0816s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0587s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]