@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Nice one Josh. The headsets on the older ones look so much better.
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
px200 cutdown,px180,px150. Puch SR. Puch scooterette

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC quote
how did you go with those 2 px's bobo?
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
jackson85 wrote:
I had malossi race springs in my clutch. Was agony to drive. Ended up using standard springs but malossi clutch plate kit instead. No hassle so far
I heard that about the single spring setup. The XL2 small frame clutch has six small springs, so you have a bit more choice. I can even go 3 sport and 3 race if I want to go in the middle of the 2.
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
joshzingzing wrote:
Still undecided. The original plan was to save for a Guzzi V7 so I can ride with my brothers and mates who often do trips away. The wife is dead against that but happy for me to get the PXs. Gotta work it out.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Bobo wrote:
joshzingzing wrote:
Still undecided. The original plan was to save for a Guzzi V7 so I can ride with my brothers and mates who often do trips away. The wife is dead against that but happy for me to get the PXs. Gotta work it out.
Get the PX, put a BSG 300 in it and wait for the Guzzi's to catch up... job's right.
@67gt125 avatar
UTC

Addicted
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin

Addicted
@67gt125 avatar
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin
UTC quote
jackson85 wrote:
I had malossi race springs in my clutch. Was agony to drive. Ended up using standard springs but malossi clutch plate kit instead. No hassle so far
I agree, The Malossi springs are murder in traffic or on a hill. Carpal tunnel syndrome...
@mrj avatar
UTC

Addicted
ET3

Addicted
@mrj avatar
ET3
UTC quote
Met up with SoCal Guy and jammed over to Gelato Vero for a cup. Rode the Super 8 affectionately known as 'brownie'. That SUP is a tank, interesting ride on the 8's, its has that low stance accompanied with a torque grunt.

According to SCG the SUP its like an overweight smallframe Laughing emoticon
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
Awesome ride mr.j! Mine eyes hath been opened to the joys of a well-kitted smallie ... forgot to turn the GPS on, but pretty sure I was in the 60's going UP Montezuma Rd on that little rocket ship of yours, and it wasn't even breaking a sweat. Holy smoke does that thing go!
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
67GT125 wrote:
jackson85 wrote:
I agree, The Malossi springs are murder in traffic or on a hill. Carpal tunnel syndrome...
Well I have to agree now after trying it. Sad thing is the clutch still slipped even though I had them in there. Harder to make it slip but it dragged like hell and hurt to try to shift. I think I'm going to have to get one of the better clutches if I want to put the power to the wheel on those hills. I knew it was a disaster after just trying in my driveway but I had to go drive it just to know if it would hold or slip.

Today I also said goodbye to my Serveta. I wanted to get something more Rocker to balance out the Mod in the garage, and it was the one that didn't make the cut.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Awesome ride mr.j! Mine eyes hath been opened to the joys of a well-kitted smallie ... forgot to turn the GPS on, but pretty sure I was in the 60's going UP Montezuma Rd on that little rocket ship of yours, and it wasn't even breaking a sweat. Holy smoke does that thing go!
Nothing like riding with friends to start you on the slippery slope of tuning!
@alanmac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint

Molto Verboso
@alanmac avatar
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint
UTC quote
Ginch wrote:
SoCalGuy wrote:
Nothing like riding with friends to start you on the slippery slope of tuning!
Yeah, I blame you for all my purchases these days!
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Peer group pressure has a lot to answer for.
@alanmac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint

Molto Verboso
@alanmac avatar
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint
UTC quote
Yup. But when I have someone to blame it on.......
@mrj avatar
UTC

Addicted
ET3

Addicted
@mrj avatar
ET3
UTC quote
sdjohn wrote:
67GT125 wrote:
jackson85 wrote:
Well I have to agree now after trying it. Sad thing is the clutch still slipped even though I had them in there. Harder to make it slip but it dragged like hell and hurt to try to shift. I think I'm going to have to get one of the better clutches if I want to put the power to the wheel on those hills. I knew it was a disaster after just trying in my driveway but I had to go drive it just to know if it would hold or slip.

Today I also said goodbye to my Serveta. I wanted to get something more Rocker to balance out the Mod in the garage, and it was the one that didn't make the cut.
I just don't get it SDjohn If you pick up the BGM clutch, the tool to build it up in the scoot is worthwhile. Congrats on the sale and looking forward to seeing what bike will stand in its place.

Lol Ginch & AlMac...ya I see a BBK in SCG's future
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
sdjohn wrote:
Cool man. What are you thinking?
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
Your Rally . Nah I really do think I want to get something rocker. I'm really geeked to go try out the newly reintroduced Yamaha SR400. Air cooled single cylinder is right up my alley. If it isn't something along these lines, there are lots of 70's bikes that interest me but one of my goals was to make life simpler and I'm not sure they fit the bill.

Mr J. the other idea on my clutch was that perhaps in my zeal to get the clutch to stop dragging I over adjusted the cable. It still dragged, but that doesn't really mean that I had it under adjusted. There just might not be enough gap with the throw I have to stop clutch drag with this stack of parts and over adjusting it made it good enough to try but allowed the slip.

I'm actually thinking to go down to the sport springs and try the 3 plate setup. This would need less throw to avoid clutch drag, so the adjustment to allow full spring engagement might be easier, though you lose the surface area advantage.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
Very neat. 6 grands not too bad and the kick start looks fun.
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC quote
looks comfortable to ride

no power or torque figures mentioned though

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/08/26/2015-yamaha-sr400-motorcycle-review-first-ride-photos-specifications/
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
Yeah I read that review too, they do say it'll do 80 and that's more than enough for my needs. I'd like to be able to hop on/off the freeway but I don't want to spend time there.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
... went on my 1st "lambretta only" ride...

... but I did look at my VESPAS before I left.

Razz emoticon
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
Good to see you took it out Vader!
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
me too.. it's fun.. takes some getting used to though (for me at least) my body is so used to Vespas and this is totally different (again, to me at least).. but I'm loving it.. I can't say for sure if I prefer it.. but the more I ride it, I probably will.. to me it's like jumping on my small frame right after riding my P.. both good.. just different..

My plan is to get the panels painted (I should have done it when I got the frame painted, but I was tight on bread) so I can run them some times.. I'm glad I didn't hack any of the floor board brackets off the bike.. I was THIS close.. but I plan to do the panels.. ride it without for a while, then put the panels on and wait 'till I tire of that.. THEN put the leg shield on and ride it like that (with just the hugger fender.. I like that look too) THEN.. add the stock fender.. try and squeak 4 bikes (at least incarnations) out of one! make my monies go as far as I can.. Razz emoticon
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Wrecked '61 VNB '65 Allstate '74 Rally 200

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
Wrecked '61 VNB '65 Allstate '74 Rally 200
UTC quote
Got got scooter snaked for the 3rd time this month on craigslist Livid emoticon
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Happy Birthday JACKO
Happy B-Day Mr. Jackson.. you have any hair under yer arms yet? or a couple bully hairs 'round yer nipples? Razz emoticon
@px200br avatar
UTC

Hooked
86' Vespa PX 200, 59' Lambretta LD 150

Hooked
@px200br avatar
86' Vespa PX 200, 59' Lambretta LD 150
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

São Paulo city anniversary ride from Scooteria Paulista classic scooter club, in Brazil, in last 25 of january.
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
T5 Pole Position, T for thoroughbred

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
Cheers vader. Look at this grumpy fecker

[URL=http://s1021.photobucket.com/user/darranj85/media/IMG-20150223-WA0001.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
jackson85 wrote:
Cheers vader. Look at this grumpy fecker

[URL=http://s1021.photobucket.com/user/darranj85/media/IMG-20150223-WA0001.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]
Happy birthday man. Is that a motor home cake?
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
Xponia pola! (many years)
Hey Jackson, why the sour puss? Because no Vespa birthday cake?

Have another pint or two and soon you'll be .......

HALFWAY BURPY!!!
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
They considered a vespa cake but it would be a cake with an icing scooter on top. Veedub was a better option. I wasn't that moany. Just look it in the photo. But I think it's time for a flat cap and pastel colours
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
[URL=http://s1021.photobucket.com/user/darranj85/media/IMG-20150221-WA0006.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Happy Birthday Jackson!! Me and Ayrton Senna are celebrating... I'm just out of the shot because I'm on earth and he's somewhere else.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
^^ Razz emoticon ^^ Congrats Jacko. Party hard. Clown emoticon
UTC

Hooked
P200E

Hooked
P200E
UTC quote
Yesterday, I drained out the 2nd fill of kerosene that I've had in my P2's gearbox for the past three months, hoping to dissolve/make a dent in whatever crud may be occupying space in the gearbox. The bike had been parked for most of the 3-1/2 decades before I bought it a couple of years back, and I've only been able to squeeze about 125cc of oil into the gearbox over several changes, before it's running back out of the fill hole (bike on the level, etc.). This load of kerosene poured into the gearbox a pretty transparent, colorless fluid, and came out somewhat yellower (something like a normal urine sample), and drained a bit over 160cc, but still not near the 250ccs that's the supposed capacity of an empty gearbox.

The kerosene/solvent is apparently doing something, but I don't know whether/how much further to go with this. I haven't run the bike with the kero in the gearbox, and I don't want to actually have it move my fat arse around with solvent, rather than lubricant, in it, but I could run it on the centerstand if stirring a warmed-up gearbox would matter.

Of course, the real problem could be that it'll be another month before the snow melts here in mid-Michigan, and I'm beginning to get that seasonal twitch in my right wrist. Is the better idea to just put 160ccs of gear oil back into it and forget it?
UTC

1979 P200e

1979 P200e
UTC quote
Beer in the glovebox
Today I set the timing in my P200e and went for my first real ride after new crank, bearings, seals, rings, etc...

I went to the local beer man and bought one of those big cans of Fosters Lager..they are great with salt if you are hungover which I am...or was ealier.

I tossed the can in the glovebox of the P and slammed it closed. With a mighty hiss, foam and beer went everywhere. The hinge caught the can just right.

So my Vespa was re-christened in the parking lot of a 7-11.

Thats what I did today....
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Big cans of Fosters... jeez that brings back some memories.
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
Iv done that one before jimdaddy.
Pretty annoying
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
Ah the annual unsticking of the brake pedal has come around. I shall look forward to this glorious festival set for my next day off and shall enjoy front brake until then
@primavera130 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa P200, Primavera 130, VNA200, Italjet Pack-a-Way Moped, Ciao etc

Hooked
@primavera130 avatar
Vespa P200, Primavera 130, VNA200, Italjet Pack-a-Way Moped, Ciao etc
UTC quote
Re: Beer in the glovebox
JimDiddy wrote:
I tossed the can in the glovebox of the P and slammed it closed. With a mighty hiss, foam and beer went everywhere. The hinge caught the can just right.

So my Vespa was re-christened in the parking lot of a 7-11.

That's what I did today....
Done it! Also, riding back from SF to Humboldt after Kings one year (right around you actually, Ukiah) I had stuffed a few Heineken keg cans in my already stuffed glovebox.
Hit a small bump on 101 and the box pops open and a can flies out!

My buddy Rob was riding behind. He said he didn't know whether to take evasive action or laugh his head off. The can started spraying and spinning in the air as it bounced down the highway and towards his legshield.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Did up my EGT gauge on the Super.. ready for vegas.. I wasn't ready to tear a bunch of stuff apart to do it.. so I fished a wire through the headset main bolt hole and down the fork.. and lucky me.. got it through on the 1st try. so I continued.. just pulled the wire up from the tank, drilled the exhaust and mounted the sensor, hooked up the gauge to a 9v batter mounted on the rear side of the EGT bracket and it's good to go..

I have no DC.. but later I'll try a ac/dc converter that Blackbart was kind enough to send me and see if I can power it that way.. my buddy runs his off 9v and it's lasting a long time.. so I'm not too worried about it running out of juice over a weekend. I need one more of those stage 6 brackets so I can move my phoneGPS to the other side.. for this trip I'm just strapping it to the top of the spare tire and leaving the GPS on the bracket. not pretty but it's all functional.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
So Vader the Super is your steed for Vegas? I don't think I've seen it, pics?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0337s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0174s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]