UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
aaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhh
fuck all to do wi scoots but i got me tickets to see slayer n anthrax today n im happier than a dog wi 2dicks ....

then found out vic n bob are coming to leeds .... leeds is about 9 miles away from me .... i jumped in at the beginnin of the year n got tickets for sheffield is about 45miles away ... no car so its bus n train where as i coulda got a bus to leeds n got pissed after .... ahh well

as for the fruits ... have i won owt or do they need to match
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
jackson85 wrote:
Your the only fruit I see here Ginchy Razz emoticon
Jackson, if you weren't so gosh darn loveable, I swear....
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
T5 Pole Position, T for thoroughbred

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
Love you too baby

[URL=http://s1021.photobucket.com/user/darranj85/media/42ac349e5eadbfc7363443ac0ec059ea.jpg.html]External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/URL]
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
Re: aaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhh
T5bitza69 wrote:

as for the fruits ... have i won owt or do they need to match
Like rust prone steel 2T shifties have given way to more convenient and ecological machines that anyone can operate, it seems the once stable, but evidently boring target has been made obsolete by these progressively changing fancy fruits.

but WTF, you've got it right Bitz, EACH fruit should vary randomly on EVERY click of a new thread like a proper slot! This crap is utterly useless, give us real slots or bring back the actually relevant TARGETS! This way it's more like half the shiny crap they hang on old Vespas restored over you-know-where. Doesn't work as expected and has nothing to do with Vespas
@quervin avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa PX125 Kitted 'n stuff. Lambretta GP150.

Hooked
@quervin avatar
UTC quote
Yawnfest 2015
Yesterday I clocked up 198 miles of running in.

More coma-inducing news to follow.

Yawn emoticon
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
What kit you running in? I wouldn't have the patience for that messing about
@quervin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@quervin avatar
UTC quote
Agreed.....
The kit is a Pollini 177 but I had a new piston and a barrel re-bore, casings matched etc....

In all honesty I have wanked it a few times already......just gonna do a few more miles and then down to the dyno monkey for a dial in
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Re: Agreed.....
Quervin wrote:
In all honesty I have wanked it a few times already.....
Yes we all have. But tell us about running in the motor!

@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
Aw man the targets are back
@quervin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@quervin avatar
UTC quote
Re: Agreed.....
Ginch wrote:
Quervin wrote:
In all honesty I have wanked it a few times already.....
Yes we all have. But tell us about running in the motor!

You ain't kiddin'......I've got a right arm like Popeye now...
@gtr71 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTR

Hooked
@gtr71 avatar
Vespa GTR
UTC quote
SI 20/20 Carb Screw.
Done it again, stripped the bleeding thread holding the carb float / filter lid on the carb body. Friggin third carb I done it to, over zealous plumb I know...has any one done this. I'm gonna try make a thread repair but need to know the size of the screw (see below). Many thanks chappies and Chappettes.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
screwed
hellicoil kit?
@astromags avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@astromags avatar
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150
UTC quote
Today I posted here for the first time in a long time. Hello again!
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
easier & cheaper
and I hate helicoils
T5bitza69 wrote:
hellicoil kit?
Just buy a screw next size longer and a tap. Drill the hole a bit deeper(correct size drill & DON'T drill thru) and carefully tap it to the bottom. Grind your new screw a little shorter if it won't tighten the cover down, don't force it & ruin your new threads.

If you do need to fix a thread look at TapLok inserts, cheaper, stronger & easier to install than those damn springy helicoils. Here http://www.groov-pin.com/threaded-inserts.html
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
P200E Carb Rebuild
Ok, I know ... search the forum. There's so much about carbs to slog through and I have a specific question.

The rebuild was going just fine.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

I started the build in order to fix the - apparently common - gas leak. I bought a rebuild kit from Scooterwest (along with a rear bumper, thank you very much) and when I pulled the carb I noticed that the underneath was all gassy and wet.

No surprise. I also noticed that the box was loose and that the gasket between the carb and box had a hole punched through it from the screw that holds the box in place. The gasket between the box and case was also drippy and wet. Unfortunately, that gasket didn't come with the kit. I pulled the box out and carefully wiped everything down.

My problem is that when I attempted to tighten the box screw down (before I pulled it up and out) it didn't tighten the box at all. It still slopped around. Also, because this gasket

didn't come with the kit I'm dead in the water. Has anyone had any luck using Permatex or something like it instead of a gasket between the box and the case? I'm concerned about vibration, especially considering how close I am to the crankshaft. I've been extremely careful about keeping that hole plugged.

I know that gasket isn't just something I can pick up at Auto Zone, and I don't want to sit idle for a week waiting for a new one if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance, as always.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
Ok, I know ... search the forum. There's so much about carbs to slog through and I have a specific question.

The rebuild was going just fine.

I started the build in order to fix the - apparently common - gas leak. I bought a rebuild kit from Scooterwest (along with a rear bumper, thank you very much) and when I pulled the carb I noticed that the underneath was all gassy and wet.

No surprise. I also noticed that the box was loose and that the gasket between the carb and box had a hole punched through it from the screw that holds the box in place. The gasket between the box and case was also drippy and wet. Unfortunately, that gasket didn't come with the kit. I pulled the box out and carefully wiped everything down.

My problem is that when I attempted to tighten the box screw down (before I pulled it up and out) it didn't tighten the box at all. It still slopped around. Also, because this gasket

didn't come with the kit I'm dead in the water. Has anyone had any luck using Permatex or something like it instead of a gasket between the box and the case? I'm concerned about vibration, especially considering how close I am to the crankshaft. I've been extremely careful about keeping that hole plugged.

I know that gasket isn't just something I can pick up at Auto Zone, and I don't want to sit idle for a week waiting for a new one if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance, as always.
See if autozone has some thick gasket paper and make your own gasket arts and crafts style.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Re: P200E Carb Rebuild
seamus26 wrote:
It looks to me like the screw that holds the box down is wrong. And when you say it punched through the gasket it kind of confirms. The screw should be a phillips head from memory, and countersunk. If you don't have the right one to hand then leave it out... it's just a little harder to align the box and carb to the case that way.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
If the gasket isn't torn, no biggie, just re-use it. Or buy some gasket material at an auto store, trace it out and cut it to match.

The stripped screw for your airbox is a different issue. Looks like somebody put the wrong one on there. It's supposed to be a countersunk machine screw, like this:

If just the screw's cross threaded, no biggie, throw it away and get the right one at the local hardware store. If the case threads are messed up, it can be repaired with a Time Sert or EZ lock insert.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Not only is it the wrong screw, it looks like a slotted hex bolt that is sitting higher than the machined airbox surface and holding the carb up off the gasket. There's your problem and your gassy airbox. AND you're lucky you didn't sieze it - probably not much 2T oil making it up to the injection hole in the carb .

If you wanna ride soon, get a flathead metric screw from the hardware store(I just did and chose Allen head to get it tight w/o ruining that slot going in at the slight angle needed ). Now grease or put goop on your old gasket, install airbox and snug down your carb good, not too hard on the bolt over the slide or it can bind. You can leave the screw out as Ginch said, the carb bolts will hold it all fine but I always feel guilty.

If you do this quick fix w/ old gasket be sure to check for any further leaks after it's run a bit. Make or buy a new gasket if the old one is damaged and worse than it looks in your pic.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the quick responses, guys. It hit me about 4:00 this morning (Michigan time) that the box isn't actually held down with that bolt. Those carb nuts draw it own over the studs. Duh.

Still, we have one of those local Mom And Pop hardware shops within a stone's throw of the house. I'm going to run up there today and pay way too much for a bolt that works and some gasket goop. I'll probably try re-using the old gasket with something to help seal it a little. Should have her back on the road today.

I'm hoping this takes care of the gassy smell in the garage and the drip under the case.
UTC

Hooked
66 50s mildly tickled, 65 Bajaj 150 8" of fun

Hooked
UTC quote
Pulled out my small frame, installed new brake light bulb and got spark back, got it running so pulled carb to install new main jet..... stripped float bowl thread so grabbed spare carb all was going well till idle gets blocked..... tomorrow I will have it running nice
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Seamus, I don't want to really admit this, but I have use cereal box material for gaskets in a pinch and it worked fine. Also, if your "mom and pop" type hardware store does not have the proper screw, you could file the top down and deepen the groove and make it work. but it is nice to have the screw there to line things up properly. Don't forget to torque the carb sleeve screws to 11 ft/lbs.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
nothing to do with scoots - went to see Shovels and Rope in Charlotte last night. Great indy duo and they put on a good show. Check them out
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
35ยข for the correct 6mm screw and a couple of bucks for some gasket sealant. She sounded a little different on the test ride, but I hope that's just because I'm not sucking air where I shouldn't.

Between that and the new clutch cable I'm feeling pretty accomplished. 8)
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Good man, Seamus.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
In line fuel filter installed..... clean gas..... drop main jet 3 sizes and boom were away..... next week I will probably change the exhaust and air filter and have to do it all again
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Yeller!
Hey! is anyone else getting a "burst" of yellow screen when they reply to a post / thread? The background of my MV screed goes yellow just after I hit "Submit"
@syntagma avatar
UTC

Hooked
150 Super,Fly 150

Hooked
@syntagma avatar
150 Super,Fly 150
UTC quote
Re: Yeller!
Vader19 wrote:
Hey! is anyone else getting a "burst" of yellow screen when they reply to a post / thread? The background of my MV screed goes yellow just after I hit "Submit"
I'm getting that on my Android when following the link from MV email. But its only flashing yellow in the text area. I thought it was flashing "this is the new post". Interesting you're getting it in a different manner.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Syntagma wrote:
Vader19 wrote:
I'm getting that on my Android when following the link from MV email. But its only flashing yellow in the text area. I thought it was flashing "this is the new post". Interesting you're getting it in a different manner.
No.. actually that's what it's doing for me too.. I didn't describe it very well.. after I post.. the area around the text will flash to yellow after the post has been registered and I'm back to the thread.. Not sure why but wanted to see if it was just my computer or not.
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
lotto
i want the fruit back
@marubadu avatar
UTC

Hooked
72 Euro Rally 180 - 74 USA Rally 200 - 1966 SS 180

Hooked
@marubadu avatar
72 Euro Rally 180 - 74 USA Rally 200 - 1966 SS 180
UTC quote
changed out the 50 year old points and condensder on my SS. Cleaned the carb three times due to some idle issues. Threw a timing light on it and dialed it in to 26 degrees BTDC. Perfect.

Anyone else ever use the Chem clean carb cleaner? I bought a bucket of it at Walmart and it worked a treat, better than the ultra sonic. And it has a fancy dip tray that you can lower your parts into the cleaner.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Vader19 wrote:
Syntagma wrote:
Vader19 wrote:
No.. actually that's what it's doing for me too.. I didn't describe it very well.. after I post.. the area around the text will flash to yellow after the post has been registered and I'm back to the thread.. Not sure why but wanted to see if it was just my computer or not.
I also get it when I click on a new post. I always thought it was a myth... oh wait, that's the Green Flash...
@xkrebstarx avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1966 Bluebadge, 1974 Super 150

Molto Verboso
@xkrebstarx avatar
1966 Bluebadge, 1974 Super 150
UTC quote
marubadu wrote:
Anyone else ever use the Chem clean carb cleaner? I bought a bucket of it at Walmart and it worked a treat, better than the ultra sonic. And it has a fancy dip tray that you can lower your parts into the cleaner.
Yup, I have the NAPA generic brand, whatever that is. Pretty sure it can save any carb unless it was manhandled. Good for other small parts too as long as they're not plastic.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
... well so much for Mods/Rockers here in LA this weekend.. I'm being shipped of to Detroit 'till Monday! Oh well work comes 1st. w/o work there'd be no scooting.. at least in my garage.

Anyway going.. have fun.. the camp site up Angeles Crest is one of the best places for a campout rally ever.
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
Ain't no place like motown...hitsville usa
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Wrecked '61 VNB '65 Allstate '74 Rally 200

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
Wrecked '61 VNB '65 Allstate '74 Rally 200
UTC quote
Vader19 wrote:
work comes 1st.
Dafuq?!

not for me, pal, BC I scoot to work Razz emoticon

scoot, then work, then scoot again...
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
macgerk77 wrote:
Vader19 wrote:
work comes 1st.
Dafuq?!

not for me, pal, BC I scoot to work Razz emoticon

scoot, then work, then scoot again...
Sorry Mack, but I can't scoot to work and be there by 6am tomorrow.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0438s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0260s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]