@hadantor avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 400

Hooked
@hadantor avatar
Piaggio MP3 400
UTC quote
So the weather forecast this weekend called for a 40% chance of rain.

I decided to go up to Asheville, enjoy some lunch, and a leisurely ride on the parkway. The first half of the morning was beautiful the second half was an adventure.

So here I am on the parkway almost to 276. I was gonna head south from here and head home to Greenville since it is almost a straight shot. I had a little rain no biggie.

I get to Brevard and head south on 276 and prayed I was gonna make it home. The skies opened up and dumped on me. There wasn't much traffic thankfully. I was doing around 10 mph with absolutely nowhere to pull off, until. I came to the Raven Falls parking area. What a blessing this was. I got a chance to get off the bike and stand under one of the covered hikers check in stations.

I did check the weather many times that day. But once it started raining I had to put the phone/gps/weather device away.

Once the weather let up I was able to make it down the mountain slowly and safely.

Many will say why didn't you pull over. Honestly there wasn't anywhere to pull over and I had no way of knowing how far it was to the nearest pull off.

So I stopped at the gas station in Cleveland SC and rested and drained my boots.

So I learned some lessons that day. If the weather report says chance of rain 40% they really say chance of rain 100%. I also learned to know my route better. Thing is I drive this route often, in a cage. So I am familiar with it to a degree. I also need better rain gear. I gained some experience and a few more gray hairs. Above all else, I didn't fall, and I lived.

Now to have words with a friend of mine who prayed for a storm this weekend. Anyone know a bail bondsman in South Carolina.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Hadantor wrote:
So I learned some lessons that day. If the weather report says chance of rain 40% they really say chance of rain 100%.
Remember, we are talking probabilities here. You flip a coin. 50% chance of either side before you do it. Afterwards, it is 100% whatever it came out . Pretty much the same with rain. Once it starts - there it is.
OP
@hadantor avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 400

Hooked
@hadantor avatar
Piaggio MP3 400
UTC quote
LOL, I hate probability. It has been my luck that probability will bight me on the seat every time.

I was lucky I didn't have an accident. When your stuck on a mountain and your visibility is nil and no where to go what do you do. For me, it was continue forward, slowly and I was rewarded with somewhere to pull off.

Otherwise,

It was a beautiful day on the parkway. I met a lot of people who had questions about the MP3. I even met a nice lady who has ridden on Piaggio planes and jets.

Seriously thought about making a details card the size of a business card.
@g03 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 08

Molto Verboso
@g03 avatar
MP3 500 08
UTC quote
In NJ the 30% rate is pretty rain proof, 40% and up for sure at least a light shower at sometime of day. Last time I ran the "dragon", forecast was slight chance of rain. So I wore rain gear all daylong, not a drop! Some GPS with xm service have weather maps available, but $$ monthly charge added. Have the cheaper level on one gps and cost about $35 a month.
OP
@hadantor avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 400

Hooked
@hadantor avatar
Piaggio MP3 400
UTC quote
I have my cellphone moutned to the bike for gps/weather etc.

However, I think I would have been better off with a fish finder and a trolling motor.

Thankfully the rain was warm. I may have been wet, but I actually enjoyed myself when I could see again. I am also glad it is warmer in South Carolina by 5-10 degrees.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0110s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0049s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]