@victor1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2011 LX150ie two tone expresso

Molto Verboso
@victor1 avatar
2011 LX150ie two tone expresso
UTC quote
Many of you here are real computer experts, so here's my question. I have a Dell 470 precision work station and and one of the capacitors is starting to pop. It still works, but will be a problem in the future. My computer guy says replace the mother board. I see repair kits with the capacitors for around $20 or less. I've done a lot of circuit work but just want to know how hard of a job it is to replace a cap. I know the traces are small, but would think with a very fine point soldering iron it should be possible. Comments? Thanks in advance.
@dmpawley avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 GTS 300 i.e.

Ossessionato
@dmpawley avatar
2013 GTS 300 i.e.
UTC quote
I used to scrape and solder boards, but now they are so cheap that it's mostly not worth it.

It can be done, but you have to make sure you don't short another path. A nail file should be enough for a shiny connection. Use acid core solder.

Otherwise, check the local computer store for a board/chip combination that will use your memory and get a bump up.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
Re: NSR Mother board repair
I would jump all over that repair. I had to replace the capacitors on the power board for my Samsung flat screen TV about 2 months ago. It's a super simple repair if you are good with a soldering iron. Granted a computer mother board is going to be a little more complicated than my Samsung power board. Worst case, you fail and you are out the $20 for the capacitors and your time. Best case you save yourself $140 by not replacing your mother board.

In the case of my Samsung TV power board, I saved $200 by doing some research on the internet and spending 1 hour repairing the failed board.

-Craig
@bob_cowley avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250, P200E

Addicted
@bob_cowley avatar
GTS250, P200E
UTC quote
The capacitors are likely available locally for a very cheap price. Ask someone nearby. (Note: The above does not apply to high voltage capacitors for old tube equipment,) Be sure to observe the polarity when replacing electrolytic capacitors.

Never use acid core solder on electronic equipment.

You will need a solder sucker, available from Radio Shack or whatever they are called these days, also available from your local supplier of electronic parts.

Cheers and good luck,
Bob
@dmpawley avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 GTS 300 i.e.

Ossessionato
@dmpawley avatar
2013 GTS 300 i.e.
UTC quote
Bob Cowley wrote:
Never use acid core solder on electronic equipment.

My bad. I got them mixed up.
@burgman400 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 LX 150

Hooked
@burgman400 avatar
2008 LX 150
UTC quote
I have 3 DELL desktops with swollen capacitors. They all still work fine. Replacement mobos are approx. $100. These PCs are nearly 9 years old and still ticking. They have had upgrades to memory, hard drives, video cards and the OS to keep them functional. Once they die I will replace the PC not the board. Your Precision is a more expensive beast. I would likely replace that board. You probably have many caps that are problematic not just one.
@g03 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 08

Molto Verboso
@g03 avatar
MP3 500 08
UTC quote
Worth the effort to try, my concern is if the solder flows through the whole hole. Good circuit boards have hollow shafts driven through circuit board for parts. PC boards are multi layers with combining circuit paths between layers. A few over sea manufacturers have stolen eletrolytic test formulas from usa companys and used them. Before testing proved they fail after a few years time. To my knowledge, a Dell motherboard is not a standard exchangeable one. Heard they rewire the power connectors to their standard? So no other brand can be just changed out. Best of luck.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
G03 wrote:
Worth the effort to try, my concern is if the solder flows through the whole hole. Good circuit boards have hollow shafts driven through circuit board for parts. PC boards are multi layers with combining circuit paths between layers. A few over sea manufacturers have stolen eletrolytic test formulas from usa companys and used them. Before testing proved they fail after a few years time. To my knowledge, a Dell motherboard is not a standard exchangeable one. Heard they rewire the power connectors to their standard? So no other brand can be just changed out. Best of luck.
Dell makes all most all their own components, they don't "modify/rewire" off the shelf parts.
We see a few systems come through with off the shelf components, but those are just stop gaps till they get their own system built and in production. The Dell C2100 line of servers is a perfect example of Dell using off the shelf components to fill a void in it's storage line up till they got a new system into production.
@voneschenbach avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly

Ossessionato
@voneschenbach avatar
A fracking cage sadly
UTC quote
I am all in favor of trying to repair the board - worst case it doesn't work and you are not out much.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Likewise. Just don't use lead-free solder. Rosin-fluxed is fine as long as you clean up afterwards with some solvent and a toothbrush.
@paulm avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV300 & GTS300 & 946 & GTV250 & GTS300ABS

Hooked
@paulm avatar
UTC quote
Repair it. You will most likely find that there are 2 or 3 other caps nearby on the board of the same value. Sometimes they all bloat at the same time and need replacing. If not bloated, replace them anyway.
I usually use a higher voltage rating.
Because the mboard has many layers, heat gets sucked away easily, so use a larger tip and if possible a slightly hotter iron, otherwise u battle to get the cap out.
I have screens and mboards that run for years after having replaced the caps.
Watch the polarity.
Good luck
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
paulm wrote:
I usually use a higher voltage rating.
A higher temperature rating helps as well. Often you'll see 85C caps - replace with 105C instead.
@rkcoker avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV350

Addicted
@rkcoker avatar
Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
Don't do it unless you have an up to date repair station. Motherboards are more complicated than other electronics because they are multi-layer and very crowded.
@paulm avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@paulm avatar
UTC quote
+1 for higher temp rating.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0231s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0080s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]