OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV 300

Enthusiast
GTV 300
UTC quote
I decided to finally get around to learning if I am cut out for long-distance riding on my GTV so I did a 400 miler last weekend from Louisville to Lake Cumberland in SE KY and then down across the Tennessee border. I left Saturday morning around 9AM and got back Sunday around noon--with an overnight at Lake Cumberland campground. What I discovered is that I emphatically enjoy that type of riding and look forward to longer trips in the future. The only issue I really have to deal with is that I know I will eventually encounter a maintenance issue and I have limited skills to deal with this area at the moment. I hope to improve on this soon as I will be doing my first oil engine and gear oil change soon. I would also like to try my hand at changing a belt before I plan a longer trip. Still, I view this weekend as a major success. Attached are several photos from this weekend.

P.S.---I now experienced firsthand the issue that folks have with the stock GTV seat...it was irritating for me and not excruciating....thankfully. Still if anyone has any suggestions to help with this, I would appreciate any advice.

Dave
Arriving at Lake Cumberland
Arriving at Lake Cumberland
The Wolf Creek Dam
The Wolf Creek Dam
A diverse product offering at the dollar store.
A diverse product offering at the dollar store.
Lake Cumberland campground
Lake Cumberland campground
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Bardstown, KY--home of KY bourbon and the Kentucky Bourbon Festival
Bardstown, KY--home of KY bourbon and the Kentucky Bourbon Festival
⚠️ Last edited by djd828 on UTC; edited 1 time
@blueshadow1 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Vespa 250GTS, 1992 Honda Shadow 1100

Hooked
@blueshadow1 avatar
UTC quote
What a great trip! Thank you for posting the pictures - I am envious!
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV 300

Enthusiast
GTV 300
UTC quote
Thanks BlueShadow....I just returned from the Bay area and I should be envious of you that you have such fantastic roads to explore. I'd like to make my way west to Yosemite late next spring...a trip that may be a bit ambitious but who knows? One last photo showing the gear I was carrying...more than manageable, I think. If I was going on a longer trip, I may take one more Wolfman all weather type bag to strap to my passenger seat.
GTV loaded up
GTV loaded up
@yayadave avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250

Ossessionato
@yayadave avatar
MP3 500 - GTV250
UTC quote
Re: My first long distance trip (at least for me)
djd828 wrote:
P.S.---I now experienced firsthand the issue that folks have with the stock GTV seat...it was irritating for me and not excruciating....thankfully. Still if anyone has any suggestions to help with this, I would appreciate any advice.

Dave
You can add some nylon spacers under the hinge to raise the front of the seat. But that doesn't make it any bigger!!
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV 300

Enthusiast
GTV 300
UTC quote
Thanks for the advice Dave....good to see someone from my hometown on the site also. I miss the 'Burgh
@adeguerre avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom; 2013 Vespa S 150 (Sold)

Enthusiast
@adeguerre avatar
2016 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom; 2013 Vespa S 150 (Sold)
UTC quote
What beautiful country! Though I am not sure about the dollar store catfish Bleh emoticon ... Thank you for sharing!
@mimsw avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 GTS300 Touring

Hooked
@mimsw avatar
2018 GTS300 Touring
UTC quote
Long distance
What kinds of roadways did you take? Did you avoid interstates? What kind of road speeds where you doing?
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV 300

Enthusiast
GTV 300
UTC quote
I took back roads which included some primary KY state roads. I would do long stretches of 65-70 mph mostly due to the fact that cars would be behind me. I felt very comfortable at these speeds. Still, there were times where I would be driving miles without another car in sight. It was a very relaxing drive.
@blueshadow1 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@blueshadow1 avatar
UTC quote
Hmm...Tennessee...that means you are reasonably close to the "Tail of the Dragon" at Deal's Gap in North Carolina...have you been there? It's amazing riding!
@lightracer avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
300 GTV i.e.

Enthusiast
@lightracer avatar
300 GTV i.e.
UTC quote
Me too...
Wow, same bike and everything. I did 375 miles from my place towards the WA central coast (almost) to Lake Sylvia State Park all on backroads. Some state highways got up to 60 though.

Agree about the seat. Little irony though, since the seat is what drew me to the GTV. Oh well.

Nice pics, thanks.
@acejones avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa 946,Yamaha Vino

Addicted
@acejones avatar
Vespa 946,Yamaha Vino
UTC quote
There are all kinds of saddle accessories available. Google stuff like Bead Seat, Airhawke, Butt Buffer, etc. The options are endless. Those of us who have been riding motorcycles long distance have tried all the options. What is comfy and helpful for one doesn't help another.
You can also have a good upholstery shop cut the foam down and reshape it on the stock saddle.
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S
UTC quote
What a fantastic trip! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Maintainance of a Vespa is not that difficult. There is a lot of good advice and knowledge in the MV wiki.

Have fun and ride safely!
@yayadave avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250

Ossessionato
@yayadave avatar
MP3 500 - GTV250
UTC quote
djd828 wrote:
Thanks for the advice Dave....good to see someone from my hometown on the site also. I miss the 'Burgh
Here's a thread about seat mods for the GTV. There are probably others. Check the Search feature.
GTV seat mod: Anyone done one?

Some folks have put GTS or the new mono-posto sport seat on their GTV's. It's just such a shame to lose that beautiful GTV seat.
http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details/Low-Profile-Gel-Solo-Seat-Vespa-GTS-GTV-SUPER/10369
@huntbchsocal avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTV250:: Et4 150

Hooked
@huntbchsocal avatar
UTC quote
I bought a used GTV and the pervious owner had switched it to a GTS seat. I have read a lot of post on this and this is the recommendation. I also just used melatonion vinyl and leather paint on my seat made it look brand spanking new. I will upload photos soon.
@railchaser avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 Vespa GTS 300 Super, 08 Vespa LX150, 2000 BMW R1100RT, 01 Honda Reflex (sold)

Hooked
@railchaser avatar
2012 Vespa GTS 300 Super, 08 Vespa LX150, 2000 BMW R1100RT, 01 Honda Reflex (sold)
UTC quote
Sounds Like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. Did you pack food/cooking gear for supper or breakfast at the campsite?
@huntbchsocal avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@huntbchsocal avatar
UTC quote
Gts. Seat on. Gtv
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV 300

Enthusiast
GTV 300
UTC quote
BlueShadow1 wrote:
Hmm...Tennessee...that means you are reasonably close to the "Tail of the Dragon" at Deal's Gap in North Carolina...have you been there? It's amazing riding!
No, I haven't been there but now I have to go.....thanks for the advice!
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV 300

Enthusiast
GTV 300
UTC quote
Re: Me too...
LightRacer wrote:
Wow, same bike and everything. I did 375 miles from my place towards the WA central coast (almost) to Lake Sylvia State Park all on backroads. Some state highways got up to 60 though.

Agree about the seat. Little irony though, since the seat is what drew me to the GTV. Oh well.

Nice pics, thanks.
LightRacer, my sister lives in Seattle and I'd love to find a way to get up that way to ride. Nice camping setup....I really like you bivvy setup but don't think it would work for me.....I get too claustrophobic. You have some great pics also.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV 300

Enthusiast
GTV 300
UTC quote
railchaser wrote:
Sounds Like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. Did you pack food/cooking gear for supper or breakfast at the campsite?
Railchaser, no food or stove this time around but I am sure that I will pack all of the gear on future trips. I still dream about making my way to San Fran via Yosemite but I am still a bit concerned about breaking down in the middle of nowhere. I will do research on MV to see how others have dealt with this.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV 300

Enthusiast
GTV 300
UTC quote
huntbchsocal wrote:
Gts. Seat on. Gtv
That looks like the exact seat I want...is it this one on Scooterwest?:

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/item_details/GTS-Brown-Leather-Seat-(602935M0BR)/5617

If so, the only thing stopping me is the outrageous price...but it is so tempting.
@davelx avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 Piaggio BV-350

Molto Verboso
@davelx avatar
2016 Piaggio BV-350
UTC quote
Nice looking scoot, great pics.

Personally, I prefer Haddock with my Bible.
UTC

Addicted
MP3 Piaggio 2007

Addicted
MP3 Piaggio 2007
UTC quote
Great day to ride.com
This is the site to solve your seat issues.( Great day to ride.com )
Solved mine . $Inexspensive and quick turn around. Yours is complicated contour , but if anyone can do it Spencer the master can. He was using Nasa foam (supra core ) when he did mine. Just remove seat , get a box large enough for your seat, stuff it full of news papers, I used simple paypal for payment, and I had mine back sitting on my porch within a wk. The only hassle is all those papers it takes to stuff. A lot!. Might do the passenger pad in back as well. Your 2 hr. jaunts will turn into 8 hr. journeys. Be safe out there. Hope this helps.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV 300

Enthusiast
GTV 300
UTC quote
Re: Great day to ride.com
DavidHerring wrote:
This is the site to solve your seat issues.( Great day to ride.com )
Solved mine . $Inexspensive and quick turn around. Yours is complicated contour , but if anyone can do it Spencer the master can. He was using Nasa foam (supra core ) when he did mine. Just remove seat , get a box large enough for your seat, stuff it full of news papers, I used simple paypal for payment, and I had mine back sitting on my porch within a wk. The only hassle is all those papers it takes to stuff. A lot!. Might do the passenger pad in back as well. Your 2 hr. jaunts will turn into 8 hr. journeys. Be safe out there. Hope this helps.
Thanks David...do you have any pics of your seat mod?
@huntbchsocal avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@huntbchsocal avatar
UTC quote
djd828 wrote:
huntbchsocal wrote:
Gts. Seat on. Gtv
That looks like the exact seat I want...is it this one on Scooterwest?:

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/item_details/GTS-Brown-Leather-Seat-(602935M0BR)/5617

If so, the only thing stopping me is the outrageous price...but it is so tempting.
Mine is the vinyl one, you might be able to find a used seat. I used a vinyl leather paint by meltonian from a shoe cobbler and painted the seat just yesterday. Came out great. The vinyl seat is only 300 new.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0330s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0079s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]