OP
UTC

Vespa GTV 250

Vespa GTV 250
UTC quote
Hello. Bought a gts250ie last month and just noticed today that the rear tires look significantly different than the front ones in terms if the tread pattern... The rear ones almost seem completely gone! As in it is basically flat rubber. It's almost like it was made that way because otherwise the tires seem in fine condition, no cracks or anything. And I guess I've just never seen tires (which have been reliable thus far) be SOO bald! I'll attach a picture of the rear tread, and the front tread. Both are the same brand (Pirelli gts 24).

I know the back tire gets worn more quickly than the front because of the weight distribution... But still, this is a dramatic difference to say the least.

So, replace? If funds weren't so tight I would just do it without asking to be safe but..
Front
Front
Rear
Rear
@jrstone avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@jrstone avatar
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
A lot of tires have different tread patterns for front and rear use. I'd say the rear is definitely in need of replacing.
@acejones avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa 946,Yamaha Vino

Addicted
@acejones avatar
Vespa 946,Yamaha Vino
UTC quote
Rear is history
@paperino avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 250 "Audrey"

Ossessionato
@paperino avatar
GTS 250 "Audrey"
UTC quote
As jr said, front and back of the same model tire are often slightlty different. In my case the front has a groove down the center like yours, while the rear doesn't. Looking at your rear tire, I'd likely replace it. And you're right, the rear can wear significantly faster than the front.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
The rear is shagged - even the wear bars have been worn away! You've less than 2mm of rubber between the road and the tyre carcass.

Replace immediately.

The fronts will often outlast the rears by a factor of three or four.
OP
UTC

Vespa GTV 250

Vespa GTV 250
UTC quote
So is it recommended to replace both at once?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
ryanshanabarger wrote:
So is it recommended to replace both at once?
Only needs the rear, your front will out last your new rear too so don't worry about it.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
And don't worry about having same brand or model of tyre front and rear - they do two completely different jobs on a motorcycle.
@yayadave avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500 - GTV250

Ossessionato
@yayadave avatar
MP3 500 - GTV250
UTC quote
A tip. Most people on here would say buy a Michelin Power pure or City Grip. A few would say get another Pirelli. No one would say buy a Sava.
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Temporarily Scooterless... :(

Ossessionato
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC quote
Did you put the mileage on yourself (i.e. bought the scooter new or with a new tire) or was it fairly worn to start with when you bought it?

Rear tires can get as little as 2500 to 3000 miles if you ride them hard and the rubber is soft...

If you anticipate lots of riding at highway speeds, look for a tire that seems to wear better for that purpose (there are multiple threads you can look up via the search function on this topic).

Best of luck!

Desi B.
@acejones avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa 946,Yamaha Vino

Addicted
@acejones avatar
Vespa 946,Yamaha Vino
UTC quote
The OP just bought the bike last month.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
those tires look like the OLD pirelli GTS 23 and 24's check the date code on them and if they are 5 yrs old I would change them both no matter how much tread is left on the front one.
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC quote
acejones wrote:
The OP just bought the bike last month.
Yeah, I saw that, which is why I was asking if it was bought new or used... Just to see if he was putting high mileage on it in a short amt of time (could help determine the of tire best suited for him).

Desi B.
OP
UTC

Vespa GTV 250

Vespa GTV 250
UTC quote
No, it is an 07. I put on 1k miles in about 5 weeks. But like 300 of that was just riding it home from where I bought it. I'd expect around 300-500 a month.

Does anyone recommend the set of white walled tires from scooter west?

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details/GTS-Whitewall-Tire-Pair/1861

I'll obviously do some research before I buy in a couple weeks, but thought I'd ask. Also, put them on myself or go to vespa dealer? I have some mechanical experience working on my 71 vw bus.
@scootergirl63 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa 2009 GT250ie

Enthusiast
@scootergirl63 avatar
Vespa 2009 GT250ie
UTC quote
Most definitely the rear. Change it ASAP!
UTC

Molto Verboso
07 LX50

Molto Verboso
07 LX50
UTC quote
Search Shenko here and you'll see the problems with those.Tread separated .
OP
UTC

Vespa GTV 250

Vespa GTV 250
UTC quote
Thank you.

I get my financial aid check from the school next week. Probably get a pair of tires and a new exhaust and have the vespa dealer install the lot.

Best tires for heavy weight and long rides? (i'm 340 pounds, plus it's really chromed out).
@tor2ga avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Looking for the next one, probably electric

Ossessionato
@tor2ga avatar
Looking for the next one, probably electric
UTC quote
There are no good white walls. Get the best tires, don't worry about white walls.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Sounds like you'd be best served with Michelin City Grips. Good grip, and they should last you ~5,000 miles.

Set the rear suspension to #3 or #4, and make sure the tyre pressures are set for 'rider and passenger'. When you've had the new tyres mounted, do NOT assume the fitter has inflated them to the correct pressure - double-check.
OP
UTC

Vespa GTV 250

Vespa GTV 250
UTC quote
Is that pressure information available in the manual? I don't remember seeing it. Or is it something that varies from brand to brand in tires? I had read I should just inflate it to close to the max...
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
ryanshanabarger wrote:
Is that pressure information available in the manual? I don't remember seeing it.
Yes.
Quote:
Or is it something that varies from brand to brand in tires?
No.
Quote:
I had read I should just inflate it to close to the max...
What max would that be then?

From the user manual:
Quote:
Front tyre pressure
1.8 bar
Rear tyre pressure
2 bar
Rear tyre pressure - driver and passenger
2.2 bar
Personally I up that by 0.1 to 0.2 bar even though I'm only 180lb - I find the ride slightly better.

You won't go far wrong with 29 psi front and 34 psi rear.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
ryanshanabarger wrote:
I get my financial aid check from the school next week. Probably get a pair of tires and a new exhaust and have the vespa dealer install the lot.
But how are you gonna buy books and school stuff now? Razz emoticon
UTC

Enthusiast
2010 GTS 282, 1979 P200E

Enthusiast
2010 GTS 282, 1979 P200E
UTC quote
OK. Big guy to big guy! Go to scooterpartco.com get these items: malossi rear shocks and front and Dr pulley sliders 21x17 11grams. Find a place that sells Michelin power pure 120/70 12 front and 140/70 13 rear(they are cheap and last a while). You will go through tires like oil. If you are going to get an exhaust, go to the site staTed above and get pm68.

All of the work except the tires should be done by YOU!!
Matching tires is best practice!
All people on this site are willing to help. Be not afraid to ask!
Most importantly:
1) have fun
2) AND KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP AND THE RUBBERS DOWN!!!!!!
UTC

Enthusiast
2010 GTS 282, 1979 P200E

Enthusiast
2010 GTS 282, 1979 P200E
UTC quote
Correction: 140/70 12

Most important to least important:
Tires(motorcycle superstore. Com, buy 2 rear tires to start so you are not waiting for mail)
Shocks(you will be bottoming out a lot if roads aren't amazing)
Sliders(better take off and gas saver and less maintenance)
Exhaust(best aftermarket and best performance increase)
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
FWIW, I wouldn't bother with changing the stock exhaust. You won't get better performance or gas mileage to offset the expense. Check the price at your Vespa dealership but usually I've found buying from Motorcycle Superstore to be the best deal. You can either have them installed or have them mounted then install them yourself. Even I can do that if I needed too and that can save you $100 for two tires.
@kpgo avatar
UTC

Hooked
bv350 (sold) and now,'14 honda ctx700 dct

Hooked
@kpgo avatar
bv350 (sold) and now,'14 honda ctx700 dct
UTC quote
howdy, i'm fixing to make myself unpopular but just can't resist(I must be too young)

the op pictures illustrate perfectly why I use more front braking than most under predictable stopping situations. my bv does have interlinked brakes so even for fast stops I first bind the interlinked brakes then add significant front brake which really brings it down fast. your rear tire takes not only the torque of starting off but the added torque of slowing the vehicle. on most scoots there is significant engine compression helping bring you down so just use the front brake with the compression and you stop very well with less wear on the rear. it evens up the wear so that you can then replace both at the same time and have a whole new tire feeling. I now have 12,000 miles plus on my front tire with very little wear showing and would still be using the same rear tire but for a puncture requiring a new rear. the old one had over 8 thousand and little wear. my bv500 had over 8,000 on the rear with no perceptible wear and my kymco grand vista had 8,000 with no discernable wear on the tires. I am on my 4th scooter now and have never had to replace a tire due to wear out of the tread. I really don't understand why everyones tires wear so fast. ok---nuff said, the point is that tire wear can be minimized by driving style and that will save you tire costs AND wear on the other components. just old age and experience speaking. I wish you all

lotsa miles and smiles
ken
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Okay I'll adimit. I haven't read the whole thread because I am on WI-FI. Change the rear one for sure. I would double check tha manufacturer's date on the front one. If it is ove 5 years old I would change it as well.
@ravenlore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"

Molto Verboso
@ravenlore avatar
2009 GTS 250ie "Jigokuchou" 2001 ET2 "Luna"
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
FWIW, I wouldn't bother with changing the stock exhaust. You won't get better performance or gas mileage to offset the expense. Check the price at your Vespa dealership but usually I've found buying from Motorcycle Superstore to be the best deal. You can either have them installed or have them mounted then install them yourself. Even I can do that if I needed too and that can save you $100 for two tires.
I agree. skip the exhaust; buy a textbook. You might be able to get 1 book for the price you'd pay for an exhaust...
@cdrpierce avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV300ie

Hooked
@cdrpierce avatar
GTV300ie
UTC quote
I run 40psi rear and 30 front with the rear shocks at 4. I'm 250lbs and I like the "feel" for me at these settings. This is my personal preference not a "rule" on my GTV300. New tyre for the rear is a must though especially with crappy weather around the corner. Cars or bikes brakes, tyres and suspension are first in my maintenance book. A dead motor/tranny won't kill you but no brakes and crappy handling will!
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
ravenlore wrote:
cdwise wrote:
I agree. skip the exhaust; buy a textbook. You might be able to get 1 book for the price you'd pay for an exhaust...
Sadly you aren't kidding. You should have heard my son witch and moan because the required book for one of his classes was $175 to RENT!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0381s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0072s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]