@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
UTC quote
Before going all in on an organized ride like this, I would just do the ride on my own or do a similar distance ride to test out - go out 100 miles and see how you feel, remembering you have to go 100 miles to get back home. Go on if you feel like it or turn around and go back home. Or pick out a 75 loop and ride it a couple of times and then evaluate you ability/desire to go around 2+ more times.
@darqmommy avatar
UTC

Lizard Brain
2007 GTS 250, "Vorga"

Lizard Brain
@darqmommy avatar
2007 GTS 250, "Vorga"
UTC quote
are you guys sure about the fuel tank size... over 2 gallons?!
i mean, mine holds about 1.25 gallons, so many of those legs would be impossible for me without additional pit stops.
double check your capacity...
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
DAR i think yours is the same gallon size as mine. 2.4ish. Check your manual
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
When I was a wee laddie I would ride a 150 Vespa Sportique from Torquay in Devon, England to the Manchester, England area. It was about 300 miles and took me 8 hours. On the front rack I had a large suitcase full of school books; on the rear another suitcase full of clothes etc. for university.

I did it several times, often coming home for the weekend and then going back. Not always with the suitcases, though! It was a long ride, worse during the winter with snow falling. The scooter ran fine.

It did take longer with a sidecar attached.

Yes, I know, I was just plum crazy. Point is: the scooter can do it, you can do it. Just load up, dress up, fill up, and go.
@darqmommy avatar
UTC

Lizard Brain
2007 GTS 250, "Vorga"

Lizard Brain
@darqmommy avatar
2007 GTS 250, "Vorga"
UTC quote
judy wrote:
DAR i think yours is the same gallon size as mine. 2.4ish. Check your manual
Judy,
maybe i am going crazy...
but when i stop to fill up i am usually a hair above empty.
on my EMPTIEST days, i can cram about 1.25 gallons in.
seriously, not a lie. stuff is like bubbling out the top of the tank.
is there a vast untapped reservoir of emergency gas under the E line? that would be a nice thought...

Under the E line... that is the name of my new band!!!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Tank capacity on the LX and the S is ~2.3 US gallons. The most we've squeezed into the LX was a hair under 2 gallons, just yesterday.

darqmommy - was your fill-up after the fuel light had been on for quite a few miles?
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
DAR the fuel gauges are known to be wrong. Mine stayed on E when full for years. Full now is 3/4. I think your just filling it up when the yellow light comes on. I can only get about as much as you if i do it then.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@johnkiniston avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@johnkiniston avatar
GT200
UTC quote
It looks like I'm rider #269 with my GT200.

Looking forward to see everyone there who's riding.

Who are you and what are your numbers?
OP
@nadzilla avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa 2014 LX150ie

Enthusiast
@nadzilla avatar
Vespa 2014 LX150ie
UTC quote
JohnKiniston wrote:
It looks like I'm rider #269 with my GT200.

Looking forward to see everyone there who's riding.

Who are you and what are your numbers?
I'm Nadia number 272 I think
OP
@nadzilla avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa 2014 LX150ie

Enthusiast
@nadzilla avatar
Vespa 2014 LX150ie
UTC quote
Post Script
So the event came and went, and I have to say that I had a great experience 8)

I finished in 8 hours on my small 150, took a lot of breaks and definitely had an adventure, and I'd do something like this again.

The night before, 14perry hooked me up with a cigarette lighter outlet for plugging in my GPS! Really thankful for that

Gear: CamelBak was a great investment, glad I had it. Note: There is a groupon today (9/22/14) for a generic water pak for $25, if anyone is interested.

I used a cooling vest (Fly) which I put in the freezer and put it on as I started going around the east side of the sea, I didn't really feel the heat much at all even going through Ocotillo Wells, I think it made a lot of difference.

My bike held up great, almost stalled out in the desert about 50miles from the end but with the guidance of one of the badass vintage riders, this was nothing more than a hiccup.

I feel a little sore today, as this was my longest ride ever, total of 360miles from home round trip.

The California terrain is very cool, and I saw an area I'd probably never see otherwise.

Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Excellent. Nice feeling to accomplish something like that.
OP
@nadzilla avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa 2014 LX150ie

Enthusiast
@nadzilla avatar
Vespa 2014 LX150ie
UTC quote
Re: Novice Rider...350 Mile Endurance Ride?
lostboater wrote:
Paladin wrote:
nadzilla wrote:
... Salton Sea T.T. ... extra gas, water pak and a gps unit ....
First, sounds like FUN. Two, it's just 320 miles according to the website.

Just a little jaunt around the Salton Sea. 120 miles from Vespa San Diego to El Centro and the first fuel stop, 105 miles to Salton City and the second fuel stop, 105 miles to the finish line in Escondido. You have a 2+ gallon fuel tank, you get 60 mpg WOT, 65-70 mpg doing 60 mph. There are two mandatory fuel stops, there is gas stops in the right places, no need to carry extra, other than for feeling better. Windshield time about six hours, add fuel stops and check stops.
Having a few miles on 150 myself I can say with authority that you will not average 50 mph nor will you get 65-70 mpg. At WOT you will be lucky to get 45-50 mpg and with fuel stops, stop lights, etc. you will lucky to average 45 and that is if there are no hills. All that said you will have a great time. Go for it.
...averaged about 47mph per GPS with the fastest speed 67mph (likely downhill I think), I did stop alot and I didn't get as far on a tank of gas as usual, I wasn't actively tracking this but it seemed like I was using more...
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Well done - and you'd definitely have had worse mpg than usual daily riding when going for long stints at WOT, it's to be expected.
@johnkiniston avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@johnkiniston avatar
GT200
UTC quote
nadzilla it was a pleasure to meet you!

I had a lot of fun on this race and can see myself doing another one.

I clocked up 700 miles ridden between the start on Sunday morning and when I got home.

Unfortunately I had a belt failure on the way home yesterday about 120 miles from home on a stretch of desert highway between Gilla Bend and Ajo, Thankfully I have a friend with a truck who could come get me.

I managed to get lost in Brawley both times I went through it, Once during the race and once going home! Crying or Very sad emoticon

I really enjoy my GT200 and hope to have it back on the road agian soon.
@maroy avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 250

Addicted
@maroy avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
In case you wondering why many riders avoid MSILSF Event
I think I will let these two FB posts speak for themselves. They are current reminders why many ModernVespa, ModernBuddy, and Scooter Cannonball riders avoid anything to do with MSILSF. Did anybody in this thread try to talk anybody out participating in this MSILSF event?

Those pink footed-pajama parties Alan refers to are great, the last one averaged 350 miles a day so to get the full experience while using MSILSF standard you would have to

Day 1 ) ride Salton Sea T.T.
Day 2 ) ride back to San Diego.
Day 3 ) ride Salton Sea T.T.
Day 4 ) ride back to San Diego.
Day 5 ) ride Salton Sea T.T.
Day 6 ) ride back to San Diego.
Day 7 ) ride Salton Sea T.T.
Day 8 ) ride back to San Diego.
Day 9 ) ride Salton Sea T.T.
Day 10) ride back to San Diego.

But if you did that you would miss the snow, operating your scooter at 10,000 plus feet, 50 miles of dirt roads including two washed out portions where the remaining road was only a couple of feet in width.
⚠️ Last edited by Maroy on UTC; edited 2 times
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
He's just mad our movie was funded, and looks way more fun than his sad sack grunting in a hotel that didn't roll out the red carpet for him.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Congrats nadzilla on your Salton Sea adventure, may it be the first of many long rides.

Hmm, so a Burgman 400 rider got a ticket for going 82mph. BFD, for a Burgman 400 that's not even breaking a sweat. Casual flick of the wrist will get you to 90 and plenty of room in the throttle, or at least it would on the one I used to own.

More than one rider this year did that or more on a 250 or less, not that I have any personal knowledge of Sports City or Vespa going over 82mph.

Ah well, sportsmanship doesn't seem to be in some people's vocabulary. Pity interesting potentially fun events are spoiled by folks who blame others watch it to see for yourself if you can stand it
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Not to put a damper on this love-fest, but please remember that Vespa Motorsport put a fair bit of time and sweat equity into this year's event too. The local riders who participated had a wonderful time and had glowing things to say about the Motorsport crew and their hospitality. Slagging the event in general is a bit gauche when you consider that a great scooter shop helped put it on this time.

Thank you Vespa Motorsport!
⚠️ Last edited by az_slynch on UTC; edited 1 time
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
Really could have lived without seeing the towel (or whatever was under) again.
@maroy avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 250

Addicted
@maroy avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
az_slynch wrote:
Not to put a damper on this love-fest, but please remember that Vespa Motorsport put a fair bit of time and sweat equity into this year's event too. The local riders who participated had a wonderful time and had glowing things to say about the Motorsport crew and their hospitality. Slagging the event in general is a bit gauche when you consider that a great scooter shop helped put it on this time.

We Love Vespa Motorsport, no doubt about it. We especially love them because they don't play favorites as noted by the fact they hosted the finish line party for the 2012 Cannonball and much of the 2013 Amerivesapa festivities. We count on Vespa Motorsport during the Cannonball as they go out of their way to overnight ship (while conglomerating several riders orders) at the drop of a hat. No doubt about it they are awesome.

And they are not MSILSF.
@maroy avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 250

Addicted
@maroy avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
az_slynch wrote:

One more thing, I am not slagging the event, In fact, I think I recommended the event earlier in this very thread. I am pointing out why many folks do not participate. If you like Alan, then perhaps you could explain to him that his public rants are counterproductive on many levels, including the possibility that it might tarnish his sponsors reputation as a form of collateral damage. Even if this is not the case with respect to Vespa Motorsport.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
az_slynch wrote:

I have nothing but respect for Vespa Motorsport and the event participants. Folks encouraged nadzilla and others who expressed interest in the event to participate with tips on mileage and what to carry. She and others were congratulated on their achievement in this thread.

The only derogatory comments I see are from Mr. Spears. Unless you think that it is negative to comment that 82mph isn't particularly difficult to achieve on a Burgman 400.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
I have nothing but respect for Vespa Motorsport and the event participants. Folks encouraged nadzilla and others who expressed interest in the event to participate with tips on mileage and what to carry. She and others were congratulated on their achievement in this thread.

The only derogatory comments I see are from Mr. Spears. Unless you think that it is negative to comment that 82mph isn't particularly difficult to achieve on a Burgman 400.
Cheryl,

I can't say that achieving 82mph on a Burgman 400 is particularly surprising; I know those bikes have more on tap. I've had Randy (GodzillaBobber) on his Cannonball Burgman go screaming past my '83 Riva on a Tucson-Nogales Fall Classic when I had it wrung for all it's worth like I was standing still. My '12 Kymco Yager can manage 74mph with less than half the displacement, so I suspect the Burgman 400 can top 90mph and possibly touch the ton.

Only thing that comes to mind about this Burgie and it's rider is that when a friend showed me the event rules, I thought I read that getting a ticket of any sort resulted in an automatic DNF. Not the kind of recognition that too many riders would want.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Maroy wrote:
One more thing, I am not slagging the event, In fact, I think I recommended the event earlier in this very thread. I am pointing out why many folks do not participate. If you like Alan, then perhaps you could explain to him that his public rants are counterproductive on many levels, including the possibility that it might tarnish his sponsors reputation as a form of collateral damage. Even if this is not the case with respect to Vespa Motorsport.
I've seen his rants. Can't say I'm a fan based on what he's put out on the internet. I am a bit surprised, based on comments from folks I know what met him in person. Stan and John have not described his as genial; which flies in the face of everything I've seen on the web. The one credit I will extend is that he seems to passionate about scooters and putting on scooter-related events.

Not looking to stir the pot. I just felt the tone of the thread was great until it came to running a persona non gratia's Facebook posts up the flagpole. Loathsome as he may be here, I know the folks on MV are classier than that.
@maroy avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 250

Addicted
@maroy avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
az_slynch wrote:
I've seen his rants. Can't say I'm a fan based on what he's put out on the internet. I am a bit surprised, based on comments from folks I know what met him in person. Stan and John have not described his as genial; which flies in the face of everything I've seen on the web. The one credit I will extend is that he seems to passionate about scooters and putting on scooter-related events.

Not looking to stir the pot. I just felt the tone of the thread was great until it came to running a persona non gratia's Facebook posts up the flagpole. Loathsome as he may be here, I know the folks on MV are classier than that.
First of all good post, I even gave it a "thumbs up".

My post was aimed squarely at the new folks as an explanation as to why MSILSF events garner so little enthusiasm here on Modern Vespa amongst the old timers. If Alan wants more than a lukewarm reception here for his events then he needs to stop bashing MV and SCR in public forums, it is really as simple as that.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0444s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0133s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]