OP
UTC

Lurker
2009 LX150

Lurker
2009 LX150
UTC quote
Hi all! I am a newb. I have a LX150 2009 w/ about 6200 miles on it. I am having some running issues. Ever since I bought it I have had these issues. First, I always have to give it gas to start it, never wants to start with just the electric start. Then it usually wants to stall out if I don't continue to give it some gas. The main thing is that when I go to accelerate and ride, it bogs down and makes a grinding noise. It does this for some time, until it eventually doesn't. Every stop I come to, when I go to accelerate, it bogs down and does that grinding noise again.

Now I did have a mechanic look at it and he said he cleaned the carb. Didn't seem to do any good. He adjusted the idle screw and it doesn't seem to stall much anymore, but you still have to give it gas to start. He was trying to tell me that it was probably the belts and rollers and that it would be a super expensive job to fix. I am just trying to see if anyone on here has any input. Thanks in advance,

Newb.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
Hi Stu, welcome to MV. The shuddering on take off is not unusual, caused by dust in the clutch making the belt slip. You can take apart and clean, or blow compressed air in there, or just take the bike for a good run which sometimes helps.

Belt and rollers are easy to do yourself and not too expensive.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
It's due for a new belt and rollers anyway. Not cheap to have the dealer do it, but it's a necessary regular service item. If it was just this, in your shoes I'd advise buying the 'complete service kit' from AF1 Racing or Scooterwest (which include the two special tools necessary) and DIY.

The bogging down from cold until it's warmed up is probably due to valve clearances (a mantra of mine, but it's true especially for Leader engines). Needing some gas and subtle throttle adjustments to keep it running while not fully warmed up up make this an almost certainty.

With that sounding necessary, and with you sounding not completely happy with diving in with wrenches etc, ask the dealer how much to do a full service including valve clearance checking. It won't be cheap (two hours labour plus parts) but it will give you the equivalent of a brand new bike. Expect to part with $400-plus.

It all can be done by a confident home mechanic though, all info in the Wiki and via the search engine of MV.
OP
UTC

Lurker
2009 LX150

Lurker
2009 LX150
UTC quote
Thanks for the pointers guys. I am not afraid to get dirty and do it myself, just needed to be pointed in the right direction. Might this be the kit you were referring to?

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/item_details/Deluxe-Belt--Variator--Clutch-Overhaul-Kit-Vespa-ET4-LX150-S150-and-Piaggio-FLY-150-and-LT150/9657

Thanks in advance.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
UTC quote
That would be it. Lots of wiki/videos here on how to change it.

Here is the Scooterwest one.

OP
UTC

Lurker
2009 LX150

Lurker
2009 LX150
UTC quote
Thanks for the tips and videos guys! Just an update, I installed the new rollers and belt and it did fix the shuttering problem. I also adjusted the idle screw and now it starts without giving it gas! I have two follow up questions, 1) The deluxe kit I got came with some gaskets and o rings for the clutch, are there any videos on that service? The clutch was super tough to engage to slip the belt on, I am not sure if that is normal or perhaps just needs some grease. 2) There is a rattle/purring noise coming from the area where the rollers/belt is. I installed the rollers correctly and there was not much play within the variator where the rollers where installed. It seems to be running great, except for this new noise issue.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0243s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0039s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]