Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

You mean this piece?

They must fall off a lot. I don't have one either.
Yes that's it. I was actually thinking of just filling the holes in before painting. I'm not sure it really needs an extra plastic piece, but I will try to locate one. They are probably pretty cheap.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
Oh it's called a bumper. Thanks. I think I will get the one on ebay because it's all black. The price is good except for he 10 dollar shipping charge.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
Retroguy wrote:
Oh it's called a bumper. Thanks. I think I will get the one on ebay because it's all black. The price is good except for he 10 dollar shipping charge.
Or ... you could use those for ports for super secret spy gear oil slick sprayers to leave your assailants behind!
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
Retroguy wrote:
Or ... you could use those for ports for super secret spy gear oil slick sprayers to leave your assailants behind!
Actually, great idea. I was thinking about filling in my back indicator lights but didn't know what I could use the switches on my headset for. now I do.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
Retroguy wrote:
seamus26 wrote:
Retroguy wrote:
Actually, great idea. I was thinking about filling in my back indicator lights but didn't know what I could use the switches on my headset for. now I do.
Yeah, if there's one thing I've learned in all my years of running away from Ninjas, it's that they don't stand a chance against a good oil slick.

LOL! Keep posting your progress. I should be picking mine up from the shop tonight with new tires (tyres, for the Europeans). I'm just looking forward to lots of scrubbing, but I'm taking notes from you for when I need them.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
There may be a slight lull in my thread for a while so I should bring up the subject of color choices. It's a little ironic because I really don't like red, but it's probably one of the best colors for this scoot. It just reminds me to much of my lawn equipment below. I don't want white or black. I like teals but there are so many and I can't seem to find a P in that color. I also like British racing green, by I like colors that pop. Im open to suggestions, with pictures.In the end I will probably stick with something safe.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Lawn mower red
Lawn mower red
⚠️ Last edited by Retroguy on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
Retroguy wrote:
seamus26 wrote:
Retroguy wrote:
Yeah, if there's one thing I've learned in all my years of running away from Ninjas, it's that they don't stand a chance against a good oil slick.

LOL! Keep posting your progress. I should be picking mine up from the shop tonight with new tires (tyres, for the Europeans). I'm just looking forward to lots of scrubbing, but I'm taking notes from you for when I need them.
That's exciting, new tires make a big difference. I used a product called GUNK on my engine. Worked really well.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
Retroguy wrote:
seamus26 wrote:
Retroguy wrote:

@astromags avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@astromags avatar
UTC quote
Pincers of health!!!
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
Yes ... exactly! Now, if only I could wire it up to play that scene music ...
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
Bumper... I fixed mine with a sticker!
Bumper... Another thing I hate about a PX, what's th point of it? More ugly plastic... Remove plastic!
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just excited. Laughing emoticon
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
Ahhh... Porsche 928 red. Nice. But I prefer oranges
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just excited. Laughing emoticon
VERY COOL. Hijack away. I'm excited for you. You should open up a new thread to introduce your P. I'm sure many members will want to see it.
@clinteastwood avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2008 GTS 250 (red dragon)

Enthusiast
@clinteastwood avatar
UTC quote
BMW Henna Red
This is the proper color for your P125X
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
SubEtherBASS wrote:
Ahhh... Porsche 928 red. Nice. But I prefer oranges
I like orange too. Actually considering it.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
Re: BMW Henna Red
Clinteastwood wrote:
This is the proper color for your P125X
Wow Nice . Is that you P125? Is that the same color my scooter is, I can't tell. It looks a little more orangy than my scooter. I like it. Did you restore it?
@clinteastwood avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@clinteastwood avatar
UTC quote
Re: Henna Red
Thanks. I did not have to restore much, the bike is AO, only 3300 miles. It must be the same color as yours. The light in my pics isn't quite as good, so it appears a bit more orange than the BMW. Ferrari red, Porsche red, they're all about the same color as BMW "Hennarot." Just enough orange in the overall red to give it real "pop."
@manualshift avatar
UTC

Hooked
'79 P200E, 2013 Harley Davidson Forty-Eight

Hooked
@manualshift avatar
UTC quote
She is a beauty! Seriously well maintained!
I love that color. In Italy, back in the 70's, was a color reserved only for the P200E and later on the ET3 as well. I've never seen a P125X with that tone of red.
@manualshift avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@manualshift avatar
UTC quote
Retroguy wrote:
seamus26 wrote:

You mean this piece?

They must fall off a lot. I don't have one either.
Yes that's it. I was actually thinking of just filling the holes in before painting. I'm not sure it really needs an extra plastic piece, but I will try to locate one. They are probably pretty cheap.
I love how the old Italian license plates seamlessly fit on the body.
I have tried different solutions to have a similar look on mine but it's really like pushing a square peg in a round hole ...
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
Which gasket kit
While I anxiously wait for my frame to come back from the blasters, I will at least clean and change the gaskets on my carb. Could somebody send me a picture of what kit or kits I should use? I want to make sure it includes all the gaskets.
@astromags avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@astromags avatar
UTC quote
Re: Which gasket kit
Retroguy wrote:
While I anxiously wait for my frame to come back from the blasters, I will at least clean and change the gaskets on my carb. Could somebody send me a picture of what kit or kits I should use? I want to make sure it includes all the gaskets.
Just order a kit for SI carbs. They come with everything you need and some that you don't.
@yngidea avatar
UTC

rusty P

@yngidea avatar
rusty P
UTC quote
Great progress in such a short time. Courageously tackling the projects with the encouragement of your fellow forumers. Kudos to everyone!

FYI--BGM has the BigBox back in stock.
http://www.scooter-center.com/product/BGM1011/Exhaust+BGM+PRO+BigBox+Vespa+PX200+Rally200?lang=en
Retroguy wrote:
SubEtherBASS wrote:
Will I need new jets if I'm getting a new exhaust.

get a 10 pack from SIP (or the like), ohh so useful! then you can play till you blow it up, then start again!

What exhaust are you going for?
The SIP Road... seems to get good reviews (ie it looks like an original), but i'm not convinced.
The Polini RH... well it snapped in half & fell apart, ohh such thin metal!
The Boomstick... good thru the revs, re-pack the muffler to shut it up a but more & add brackets (I've got a pic somewhere), as I tore the mount off it as well. Nice & Smooth, good for city caning
The shiny thingee that comes on bodges (possibly also the Sterling)... HELL YEAH if you like REVs, & kids with fingers in their ears & dogs barking at you, but re-pack it to shut it up & it fell apart at the seams!
BGM... no idea, but I see lots of blah blah here, so someone will be able to compare!
226... i hear good things, but noisy

Another aspect to consider... what are you trying to achieve? high up Revs, low down torque, cruising, quiet, all-round etc... then you will know what is needed to add to the motor to make it happen. 2/- are only as good as the worst component

I love REVs & build my motors for that & SPEED, but it costs LOTS of parts & time, & I'm often off the road or tweaking or cursing, or grinding... but always smiling & ready to drag anything & anyone!
Well keep in mind, my level of experience. My goal is just to have it run as smooth as possible and close to stock. Just cruising around. This is my first two wheel experience.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
Re: Which gasket kit
astromags wrote:
Retroguy wrote:
Just order a kit for SI carbs. They come with everything you need and some that you don't.
Thanks Astro. ordered one from Scooterwest.
@snappa avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa T5 Classic

Hooked
@snappa avatar
Vespa T5 Classic
UTC quote
Did you go for the full kit, RG?...the one with the float, needle etc?

Have you dismantled your carb yet?
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
Snappa wrote:
Did you go for the full kit, RG?...the one with the float, needle etc?

Have you dismantled your carb yet?
I got the full kit. I have not dismantled it yet. My kit will come in a few days. I watched a 5 part video to get acquainted with the process , but will need help. Any tips? I know the one about sticking a rag down the hole. Also what happens to the float that it should be replaced?
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

133 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Retroguy wrote:
Also what happens to the float that it should be replaced?
The float can crack or otherwise leak and allow fuel into it, which then causes it to float at the wrong level, not full closing the needle and allowing fuel to drip into the carb and flood the engine when it's not running.

Once you tear it down and see how it fits together, it'll all make sense.
@snappa avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa T5 Classic

Hooked
@snappa avatar
Vespa T5 Classic
UTC quote
Retroguy wrote:
I have not dismantled it yet...
Homework for tomorrow!

No time like the present, RG! From what I've seen of your carb I think it would appreciate a good soak to remove all that varnish, and give the filter a good soaking too.

I'm assuming you've stocked up on carb cleaner? A soft toothbrush is quite handy for removing stubborn deposits and cleaning inside the slide chamber etc.

As for tips, the breakdown vid covers pretty much everything you need to do, RG. Just take your time and you'll be fine I'm sure ...just don't go crazy and overtighten anything when putting it back together.

As you've gone for the full carb kit I think it would be wise to just replace everything, even if they might look o.k...float, needle, gaskets and also the rings on the breather and throttle slide pulley.

...you've ordered a carb lid too, right?

Oh, and don't forget to post some pics!
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
Retroguy wrote:
Also what happens to the float that it should be replaced?
The float can crack or otherwise leak and allow fuel into it, which then causes it to float at the wrong level, not full closing the needle and allowing fuel to drip into the carb and flood the engine when it's not running.

Once you tear it down and see how it fits together, it'll all make sense.
Thank you, makes sense now.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
Snappa wrote:
Retroguy wrote:
I have not dismantled it yet...
...you've ordered a carb lid too, right?

Oh, and don't forget to post some pics!
I ordered the carb but realized I forgot the gasket. I'll order that tomorrow.
Roger That on the pictures.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
Retroguy wrote:
I ordered the carb but realized I forgot the gasket. I'll order that tomorrow.
Roger That on the pictures.
Yes, please. Lots and lots of pics.

Mine's running so well right now that I'm just picking and poking ... I don't want to upset the delicate balance. I managed to pull the front wheel off last night and realized two things. First, I needed some circlip pliers (thank you Auto Zone), and second I am missing the castellated lock over my front wheel hub that fastens with that cotter pin. I want to replace that.

Speaking of carbs, I opened mine up last night just out of curiosity. I now know for certain that I am running a 120 main and that my filter element reminds me of the speaker covers on an old Magnavox console stereo we used to have.

I cleaned a bunch of crap out of it this morning. She should breathe a little better.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
"Delicate balance" ... hahaha... seems that way sometimes doesn't it? In truth, these machines are not super fussy and will run indefinitely if not abused and given very basic maintenance. Good job cleaning the filter.

As for the front hub nut, some scoots ... P's I think ... have a washer that bends over the nut. Check the parts diagram before you replace anything.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
Homework for today completed. First time Dismantling and cleaning carb utilizing a 5 part video on You Tube. I will be letting the parts soak a half a day and I also have to wait for my kit to come in before I can rebuild. Some pictures below document some of the process. I do have some questions and one concern listed below some of the pictures.
Carb before unscrewing the two bolts to take out of box.
Carb before unscrewing the two bolts to take out of box.
Carb out and rag stuffed in hole so nothing falls into the dark side. QUESTION The gasket shown was soaked with fuel. Is that normal?
Carb out and rag stuffed in hole so nothing falls into the dark side. QUESTION The gasket shown was soaked with fuel. Is that normal?
My "carb cleaning station" with IPAD video help.
My "carb cleaning station" with IPAD video help.
I will need help returning these pieces. I sought of lost track where the lever sits inside the spring. Don't respond on this post. I'll ask again in my reassemble post.
I will need help returning these pieces. I sought of lost track where the lever sits inside the spring. Don't respond on this post. I'll ask again in my reassemble post.
QUESTION The video stated this large jet breaks down to 3 pieces. I could only see 2. I didn't want to force it. Is there another , or should I just leave it? It's in the cleaner as two pieces.
QUESTION The video stated this large jet breaks down to 3 pieces. I could only see 2. I didn't want to force it. Is there another , or should I just leave it? It's in the cleaner as two pieces.
I placed the pieces on a piece of paper with some notes that may or may not help me, but it's worth a shot come reassemble time.
I placed the pieces on a piece of paper with some notes that may or may not help me, but it's worth a shot come reassemble time.
Bath time for metal parts and filter.
Bath time for metal parts and filter.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
"Delicate balance" ... hahaha... seems that way sometimes doesn't it? In truth, these machines are not super fussy and will run indefinitely if not abused and given very basic maintenance. Good job cleaning the filter.

As for the front hub nut, some scoots ... P's I think ... have a washer that bends over the nut. Check the parts diagram before you replace anything.
I'll do that. The Haynes manual I have covers several models, so it might be different. The illustrations showed a castellated cover with a cotter pin to hold the nut in place.

RG, you should write a manual. Ever see "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive for the Compleat Idiot"? Great book, and very realistic. It practically told you which end of the wrench to hold and exactly where that screw you just dropped will wind up.

HAH! Doing a Google search for "John Muir Vespa" came up with a thread in MV.

LINK

Looks like I'm not the only one wishing there was "that book".
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Regarding the jet stack, you may need a pair of pliers to separate the main jet from the atomizer.

Your atomizer looks like complete shit, btw.

use a pair of pliers either with rubberized tips or just wrap the end of the jet in a shop rag when you pull them apart, otherwise you *will* score the main jet, which you don't want to do.

It looks like this:

(not actual size)

It is held in place by friction.

Alternately (because I like to mark up photos, I guess):

@snappa avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa T5 Classic

Hooked
@snappa avatar
Vespa T5 Classic
UTC quote
Nice job, RG...looks like a surgeons table you've set yourself up with there

Yeah, that stack does split into three pieces...the main jet at the bottom pulls off too.

This bit (main jet):

It's worth taking a note, or a pic, of the numbers that are stamped into each part of the stack, and on each of your other jets for tuning reference.

You'll need to remove that gasket in the carb tray (replace it with a new one when you refit the carb) to remove the airbox.

Under the gasket you should find a single screw holding the tray in place...DO NOT DROP THE SCREW INTO THE INTAKE!

You should replace the tray gasket underneath with a new one, and clean up the carb tray too...making sure that the autolube channel underneath is clear and clean.

edit: good man Chandler...and yep, those jets look pretty funky indeed huh!
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
Thank you guys Is there any reason why I should not buy new jets. Also I remember asking before about jets because I will be buying a new exhaust. I was told jets have to compatible with the exhaust.I have no idea what that means or entails. You can just tell me to buy something (or send me a link of what it is) and I'll do it
@snappa avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa T5 Classic

Hooked
@snappa avatar
Vespa T5 Classic
UTC quote
Probably best to figure out what exhaust you'll actually be going for, before thinking about spending money on new jets, RG...and hopefully the ones you have now will clean up nicely.

That's why I suggested noting down / taking a pic of the sizes you have now (each jet / part of the stack will be stamped with a number) so you can work from those figures at a later date. i.e. if you were to add a new pipe.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
So long as you don't physically damage them, jets don't wear out. I've even used jets with scoring from being grabbed with pliers in a pinch, but never felt comfortable doing so.

Getting all that crap off of them will probably make a big difference in the consistency of your performance, though.

If you stick at this long enough, you'll wind up with a multitude of jets (and mixer tubes & air correctors & idle jets) because the cost of shipping is twice the cost of the jet, so it's easier to just order a few sizes up and down from what you expect to need so you don't have to pay shipping and then wait for that next size up or down to arrive.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
So long as you don't physically damage them, jets don't wear out. I've even used jets with scoring from being grabbed with pliers in a pinch, but never felt comfortable doing so.

Getting all that crap off of them will probably make a big difference in the consistency of your performance, though.

If you stick at this long enough, you'll wind up with a multitude of jets (and mixer tubes & air correctors & idle jets) because the cost of shipping is twice the cost of the jet, so it's easier to just order a few sizes up and down from what you expect to need so you don't have to pay shipping and then wait for that next size up or down to arrive.
I actually did damage one a little. The smallest jet was stuck. the flat head screwdriver stripped the top of the jet a little and it came out really rough. I think I want to replace that but the number dis completely worn off. Unless it's just a standard size for my P.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0437s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0052s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]