@sergeibelski avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@sergeibelski avatar
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
So.. I just wanted to see maybe someone else had this problem and had a wonderful solution

A while ago I noticed that I was loosing coolant.. I could see it on my floor board where I put my feet.
So, I opened up a little black cover that covers the cap for the coolant and drove that way so I can see what is happening. (I didn't see any leaks inside when I oped up the front panel)

With scooter warm, with full throttle in about 15 km it starts spraying coolant from the cap, looks like its not tight enough.

I tried to tighten it, even used a little tool to make sure... still same.
I replaced the cap. thinking maybe it was cracked... still the same
I did coolant flash (because guys that did my service I'm sure didn't flash it since 2007)... still the same.

Do you guys know what it could be? Do I need to replace my coolant tank? Its leaking right from the top where the cap gets put on.. maybe its stripped on the tank itself? I can't really see anything wrong.

I did check and recheck the level of coolant.. I start off with under MAX so I really dont think its over filled.

Thank you very much for any help you may provide you guys are great!!!
I'm starting to do more of the service on my Vespa by myself so hopefully I can also help someone with mechanical things in the future

Sergei
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
When the bike is cold, the level should be at MIN. When the bike is fully warmed up, like after you've been riding it nine hours, it should be at or below MAX, and no higher. One morning when the bike is cold, remove enough coolant so the level is at or below the MIN, and this will probably solve your problem. Also, if you just replaced the coolant, and did it yourself, there might be air trapped in the lines, engine, etc. As this air bleeds out, it will affect the coolant level as well.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Is it leaking from the pressure release vent in the middle of the cap, or from the threads? You might have to take off the glovebox to really see what's happening. It could be a split in the tank near the top.
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Is it leaking from the pressure release vent in the middle of the cap, or from the threads? You might have to take off the glovebox to really see what's happening. It could be a split in the tank near the top.
My bike was doing something similar.

Coolant on the floorboards.

Jim called it during a ride on Mount Diablo....split coolant tank.

So much easier than a headgasket to replace.

Thanx Jim, you got it right!

R
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Thanks Rich - I was pretty damn sure it wasn't the head gasket.
OP
@sergeibelski avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@sergeibelski avatar
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
I don't know about having level at MIN when cold... I have other Vespa GTS 300 that coolant level is just below MAX and its totally fine for 32,000km now. So I'm a little sceptical about having bike at MIN or below..?

I have my front panel off now and testing with it just hanging there so I can easily see what is happening.. I dont see any cracks on the tank it self but can't say if its stripped a bit or not... and its coming out right from the thread where the cap is as far as I can see.

I will take a look at the tank again but not sure if I will find any cracks.

Thank you,
Sergei
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
sergeibelski wrote:
I don't know about having level at MIN when cold... I have other Vespa GTS 300 that coolant level is just below MAX and its totally fine for 32,000km now. So I'm a little sceptical about having bike at MIN or below..?

I have my front panel off now and testing with it just hanging there so I can easily see what is happening.. I dont see any cracks on the tank it self but can't say if its stripped a bit or not... and its coming out right from the thread where the cap is as far as I can see.

I will take a look at the tank again but not sure if I will find any cracks.

Thank you,
Sergei
You wouldn't want it below the MIN. MIN means minimum, that is the lowest level it should be at. And MAX means Maximum. That is the highest level it should be at. If it is at MIN when the bike is cold, it will be at MAX when the bike is warm and won't be pissing out coolant all over your floorboards.
If the cap and tank are not cracked, you keep enough coolant in it to rise to the top and overflow when the bike warms up and you do keep working at fixing it by tightening the cap down with pliers, you probably will find another problem sooner or later.
OP
@sergeibelski avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@sergeibelski avatar
2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Well I checked my coolant tank today and it looks like there are no cracks... I sucked some coolant out till it right at MIN and went for a 20 km full throttle test ride.. It worked, at least for now, didn't leak. Thank you!
Sergei
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0271s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0061s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]